LadyTia2

International Drivers Permits - required by law in the States now

On how to live "stateless" .... Someone was kind enough to send me a link to St. Brendan's Isle which does mail forwarding for RVers, Traveling Nurses, Cruisers, etc. Service starts at $12/month.

I am guessing they may not excel at package delivery from Amazon since they do not push it as hard as the other companies but all I need mostly is regular mail and this looks like the trick.

I thought this feature was cool ....

MSP allows you to actually view your incoming mail online the day it is received. Just log into Mail Manager Pro and view a picture of each new piece of mail, then click on the drop down box next to each envelope and instruct us to Hold, Send, Scan the Contents, or Shred the envelope. It is just that simple! MSP is designed as an add on service to compliment our Travelers, Cruiser Home Port, and Custom Service Plans. By viewing your mail online, we believe you will reduce the number of shipments you require by up to 75% and reduce the overall expense associated with your mail service account by about 50%.

...www.sbimailservice.com/mail_scan_pro.htm

Just to reiterate... after your tourist visa expires (presumably 90 days) your foreign (e.g. U.S.) driver license is not valid. Plan on getting the C.R. license before that time... (or hope not to be stopped for any reason whatsoever).

I just renewed the California one . i did not do it over internet. did it with the renewal form they send. my son took care of it. he then mailed it to Cr through post office box. I have a CR one also.

Yes they do. The site you referenced says "California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident"

Thanks. I think I had my eyeballs in upside down. However, the clerk at the DMV office told me just the opposite. She said they do not recognize foreign drivers licenses and do recognize the international drivers licenses. hmmmmm ... sounds like CR!

Thanks. I think I had my eyeballs in upside down. However, the clerk at the DMV office told me just the opposite. She said they do not recognize foreign drivers licenses and do recognize the international drivers licenses. hmmmmm ... sounds like CR!

Interesting comment, Shea.

So, well, if you're in the boonies in one state or another (not naming any particular one so as not to offend any residents of said same) and encounter Officer Goober who cain't reed the Spain-ish on yure CR driver's license, you may have some difficulty or if you're in a spanish speaking country like CR and run into don Transito Officer Fulano who no sabe the inglés on your license, maybe there'd be a similar problem.

(Then would be when an international DL could be helpful, but only for translation purposes and it still is not an official document.)

¡Pura Speeda!

Paul M.

==

I have only my Costa Rica license and rented an 18 ft. UHaul truck in Texas and had no problem. Hertz took my credit card and license and smiled the whole time as they rang up the $600. Drove to Denver. No problem. Guess it depends on the officer and the state you are in.

On how to live "stateless" .... Someone was kind enough to send me a link to St. Brendan's Isle which does mail forwarding for RVers, Traveling Nurses, Cruisers, etc. Service starts at $12/month.

I am guessing they may not excel at package delivery from Amazon since they do not push it as hard as the other companies but all I need mostly is regular mail and this looks like the trick.

I thought this feature was cool ....

MSP allows you to actually view your incoming mail online the day it is received. Just log into Mail Manager Pro and view a picture of each new piece of mail, then click on the drop down box next to each envelope and instruct us to Hold, Send, Scan the Contents, or Shred the envelope. It is just that simple! MSP is designed as an add on service to compliment our Travelers, Cruiser Home Port, and Custom Service Plans. By viewing your mail online, we believe you will reduce the number of shipments you require by up to 75% and reduce the overall expense associated with your mail service account by about 50%.

...www.sbimailservice.com/mail_scan_pro.htm

I use SBI which you refer to in your post. I also use Aero Casillas. The way I do it is that I use SBI as kind of a gate keeper for all of my mail. I view all of my mail on line as you mentioned in your post then I trash, sort, etc. If I need to see something right away I scan it and read the contents on line and can print out a copy if needed. Otherwise I let it build up for a while before having SBI send it on through to the Miami Aero Casillas address. It’s cheaper and more reliable that way rather than using SBI to send it directly through all the way to Costa Rica.

For packages which are ordered on the internet, I have them sent straight through to the Aero Casillas Miami address without going through SBI and do the prealert.