LadyTia2

International Drivers Permits - required by law in the States now

Just a couple questions on this, please.

When was it that you and your wife got your FL DLs?

What docs did you show DHSMV to show that you were Florida residents?

Here are the requirements for obtaining a license in Florida from the DHSMV website:

=====

Age 18 or Older

• United States Citizen proof of identity.
  • Non-United States Citizen proof of identity.
  • Proof of Social Security number, if issued Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department to collect social security numbers for the issuance of driver license and identification cards.
  • Proof of residential address
  • Proof of completion of a Traffic Law & Substance Abuse Education Course or license from another state, country, or jurisdiction.

=====

Here's the link to the page with this info:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/geninfo.html

I'm not looking forward to getting my FL DL renewed even though it's not 'til next year. I won't have any problem producing utility bills, but it looks like I will have to dig out my SS Card, and whoknowswhere I've put that!

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I did this just before I moved last Feb. I was "told" that it was a one time deal and from now on (when renewing) I would not have to provide that information. My license is now good for 10 years. It also has a little gold star that indicates I have met the new requirements.

I don't recall having to present the "Proof of completion of a Traffic Law & Substance Abuse Education Course or license from another state, country, or jurisdiction" as I certainly have completed one of those in many, many, MANY years.

As far as your SSN goes, I "think" they will accept the piece of paper from the SSN office stating that you have applied for a replacement card. Might be worth a phone call.

Edited by merc1011

Ticochico: When I went to the Forida DL website, it said I could not replace my stolen/lost driver's license because I had renewed once online. So - how did you do this?

Also - if you use your private mail service as your address in Florida, how do you meet the requirements listed by Paul?

Just a couple questions on this, please.

When was it that you and your wife got your FL DLs?

What docs did you show DHSMV to show that you were Florida residents?

==

I haven't had a social security card for years. I don't know what happened to mine and I haven't needed it for anything. Looks like I will be stuck with using the IDL and my Costa Rica license. (Plan B - my son lives in Colorado........ :rolleyes: )

Perhaps I’m wrong on the ability to obtain a duplicate on line. I haven’t actually renewed on line yet.

But, the way I read it, is that as long as your license has not actually expired, you can replace a lost/stolen license or update an address on line as many times as you want for a fee of $25 each time. I’ve changed my address and replaced/duplicated a license a total of 3 times in the last 4 years but haven’t actually renewed on line yet. We haven’t actually moved physically; I just keep finding better mail service mouse traps so I’ve updated my physical residential address a couple of times. As I understand it, if you just want to update only your mailing address, that’s free. But I want my plastic license to reflect my mail address as my physical address so I paid $25 to have both the mail and physical addresses updated.

We both got our FL licenses in person in 2008.

When we got our licenses in person I didn’t show my SSN card; I think I may have shown a 1099 or other document such as a pay document with my name and SSN on it. My wife may have shown hers but I’m not sure.

For proof of residency I really don’t remember for sure what I sowed them, they’ll accept almost anything. I may have showed them the same 1099 or government check with my name and address on it.

My wife as a non citizen was required to show them something extra to prove she was legally in the country which she did by showing them her resident card.

I did this just before I moved last Feb. I was "told" that it was a one time deal and from now on (when renewing) I would not have to provide that information. My license is now good for 10 years. It also has a little gold star that indicates I have met the new requirements.

That's great to know, thanks.

BTW: When driving in the US, such as in a rental car, what do you do about the auto insurance?

Do you take the rental agency insurance, or use the credit card insurance, or something else?

I would like some help working through some planning.

I expect to move from NC to CR in the next year. I am concerned about how to deal with drivers licenses. My NC is valid for five years so I assume I can return and rent a car during that time. I expect to get a CR license too.

I do not have family with a permanent address to collect and forward my mail or use for my NC license. So, I am concerned about how US driver’s licenses are handled for those who cannot use their kid’s address and move all the time.

When you start moving around, what address do you give the state license department? Also, Do you use the ARCR address for the CR license since newbies are moving around initially??

Can I give the Aeropost address in Miami if I got a FL driver’s license? I don’t live there?? Of course, I won’t have a utility bill with that address??

How do people handle being “stateless”??

Edited by ncdad1

NCDAD,

When you arrive in CR your passport will be stamped with an entry date. Within 90 days of that date you can, with your current, valid, US (NC) DL get a costarrican driver's license without having to take the written (in spanish) or the driving test. You will have to take a basic physical and blood test. (Bring an official yellow health dept. card from NC and you should be able to bypass the blood test part of the physical; they want to know your blood type.)

If you have a current NC license, good for 5 years, you aren't going to have to worry about getting a renewal for a while. You could do that on a trip back to the US.

If you move around and have not declared to NC that you are permanently living in CR I would think you could continue to give your NC address. You might also find it useful to maintain a bank account and also a postal presence there, too, maybe with a trusted relative.

Getting a FL DL these days requires that you prove who you are AND prove a current address in Florida with several documents. It is pretty exacting. You'll need a birth certif. or passport, an electric bill or water bill with a current local address, voter registration card, or other docs like those. This change to having to prove one's residence in Florida to get a DL was all in response to an uproar a couple years ago over migrant workers from Central America and Mexico using Florida's public services.

HTH

Paul M.

==

I use my sister's address for my California driver's license. You could always use a friend or acquaintance's address with their permission for your U.S. driver's license. Preferably someone in the area where you live now so you don't have to go through all the rigamarole Paul is talking about to get a new license in Florida. If you have a current NC driver's license, just do a change of address before you move to whoever's address you are going to use. If your current license is likely to expire before you can return there to renew it, you might want to look into renewing it early. Just tell them that you will be traveling for an extended period. That should work. (Says here in small print.)

Paul .. concern ... my wife will be coming down this Summer to vacation with our plans to come in the fall for a ARCR seminar where I was thinking we would apply for the licenses ... I am concerned that will be later than the 90 days when she comes in the summer ... ???? ... so my concern is when the clock starts ...

Paul .. concern ... my wife will be coming down this Summer to vacation with our plans to come in the fall for a ARCR seminar where I was thinking we would apply for the licenses ... I am concerned that will be later than the 90 days when she comes in the summer ... ???? ... so my concern is when the clock starts ...

If you are coming down soon, you should just make an appointment with ARCR and get your DL right away, don't wait.

As for mail, we use a "POB Store" that will forward mail to us here, or to us VIA aerocasillas. You might check to see if there is one that will do that for you. If not, there are other mail forwarding services.

I found that if you tell the DMV that your weight has changed from that listed on your license they will allow you to renew it early. I used this option when I was going to be overseas when my license expired but I was not close enough to the expiration date to renew.

I do not have family with a permanent address to collect and forward my mail or use for my NC license. So, I am concerned about how US driver’s licenses are handled for those who cannot use their kid’s address and move all the time.

When you start moving around, what address do you give the state license department? Also, Do you use the ARCR address for the CR license since newbies are moving around initially??

How do people handle being “stateless”??

Realistically, if you are planning to live in CR full-time for several years or more you do not need to be concerned about having a US DL. This sounds like your situation. No more physical ties to the US. If, you eventually move back to the US you can, with your current CR DL, apply for a DL in the state where you will living. Typically no tests are required.

When I applied for my CR DL I gave them the address of the hotel where I was staying. I was not yet renting where I am living now. It did not seem to matter to the lady a COSEVI. They did not ask for a utility bill to establish a location. Physical address are much less of a concern to most people here. Many people move around a lot and they seem to me to be tracked by their voting local and CAJA affiliation as much as anything else.

To handle your mail you can use a service like Aerocasillas. ARCR allows members to piggyback on their account but you will have to collect you mail at ARCR. You can also open your own account with AC or a similar service. This will provide you with both a physical address and a PO Box in Florida for AC to have your mail forwarded to.

... my wife will be coming down this Summer to vacation with our plans to come in the fall for a ARCR seminar where I was thinking we would apply for the licenses ... I am concerned that will be later than the 90 days when she comes in the summer ... ???? ... so my concern is when the clock starts ...

The clock starts each time your passport is stamped upon entry to CR. If your esposa comes for a vacation this summer, returns to NC and then the two of you come here in the fall then you will both have 90 days upon your entry this fall to apply for CR DLs if you wish to do so.

Can you renew your California license endlessly by internet, Carol? In Florida, you could do it once and that was it. (Giving you a total of 10 years.)

I just read a few days ago that you can renew in California up to twice by Internet as long as you are not 70 years of age at the time the your license expires. Also, I was told the last time I renewed (in person) that California does not permit the use of a foreign driver's license. You must have an international license.

Ah, but then I just now read that California does NOT recognize an international drivers license OR a license from a foreign country. Rock and a hard place? It did not offer an alternative that I could see.

http://www.dmv.ca.go...htm#renewbymail

There's also a page for renewing by Internet.

Edited by Shea

Yes they do. The site you referenced says "California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident"

I found that if you tell the DMV that your weight has changed from that listed on your license they will allow you to renew it early. I used this option when I was going to be overseas when my license expired but I was not close enough to the expiration date to renew.

Which state. Some states are stricter than others.

Just FWIW . . .

Mind you, an "International Driver's License" is not the same thing as a 'Foreign Driver's License".

A foreign driver's license is one issued from a country other than the one you are in at the time, as far as the country you are in is concerned.

An International Driver's License is a document issued that has your official Driver's License information on it in several languages. It is a supportive document but is not official and is not accepted by various countries as an official document. Your DL from your country of origin IS considered official.

Don't waste your money on an International Driver's license which likely will not be accepted if you are stopped. Even car rental agencies don't consider the Int'l Driver's License as an official document.

Regards,

Paul M.

==