If 50 is young sure. Hopeful that things will change, not so much which is why CR is on my radar screen. Unfortunately too many people pay too little attention to what really is happening Ed. Take for example all the saber rattling at Iran and all the subsequent fearmongering over nuclear weapons despite the fact that all 16 of the nations intelligence agencies concure that Iran has not even decided to build one. And Iran insists that their nuclear program is for domestic energy purposes. Just a google of the US position on Iranian nuclear program for the truth.

Oh, and concerning youth. The majority of Ron Paul's support is under 30. And when you engage them in conversation you find that they are far less likely to be racist, homophobic, bigots and warmongers as compared to the average seniors of the day, particularly evangelicals!

Edited by Jwalker

I am hurt I do not fall into any of those columns, I should try harder and have accomplished more being much older than you. I fought through civil rights, never could understand what the issue with someone else having a different sexual orientation, tried to join the Navy and was not allowed any of the three times I tried got as close as 15 feet or so away from being in the Navy. We contributed real money until last year to support the republican party, soft money. I was feeling real good about it til now. I guess I am just another wont to be red neck. I feel being Black should not prevent me from being a flag carrying member. What really is happening no one that knows is talking. Hope thing come around to your liking over and out

Ed

I am hurt I do not fall into any of those columns, I should try harder and have accomplished more being much older than you. I fought through civil rights, never could understand what the issue with someone else having a different sexual orientation, tried to join the Navy and was not allowed any of the three times I tried got as close as 15 feet or so away from being in the Navy. We contributed real money until last year to support the republican party, soft money. I was feeling real good about it til now. I guess I am just another wont to be red neck. I feel being Black should not prevent me from being a flag carrying member. What really is happening no one that knows is talking. Hope thing come around to your liking over and out

Ed

Gambler .. I am registered Republican but typically vote Democrat. I am fiscally conservative but socially liberal so don't fit into either party. What bothers me most are the attitudes of my Republican friends .... I would normally vote for the best person ... they vote for the person most likely to win .... I can not get my head around that attitude .... we have a very good Democrat Mayor here who has balanced our budget and made our town one of the top in the nation ... when I asked my Republican friends why they were supporting an inferior Republican candidate, they said because they needed to take the current Democrat Mayor out before he was tapped for higher office ... so, they play the game by removing all the capable people from the other team not by presenting the best candidate .... I have teased my Republican friends if given a choice between a monkey and Romney with the monkey's odds of beating Obama being 100% which would they choose? ... well, they choose the monkey ... go figure ...it appears they are playing a video game and have lost sight of the big picture of finding and promoting capable people to lead ...I do not know how much longer Republican can rest on a shrinking group of white males .... I look at Mexican who face death to come to the US and work their ass off for their family who are hated by the Republican Party ... and I wonder how much more American Dream can you get than someone who risks their life to be here, works hard, creates businesses and loves family ... it seems like Hispanics should be a natural fit for Republicans but I am guessing they are the wrong color ....

Edited by ncdad1

I think it is interesting that you guys have raised the issue of racial prejudice in the US. I'm not sure if you've read much about it, but there is similar prejudice in CR against the blacks in Limon as well as the darker skinned Nicaraguans. Ticos consider themselves white & so attitudes against those darker skinned tend towards the negative. Also, Costa Rica is a Catholic nation so you will not likely see the legalization of gay marriage, sex education isn't allowed (while 40% of pregnancies in CR are to females under the age of 19), elective abortion isn't allowed, IVF isn't allowed, & the list goes on. CR is still a male-dominated society, though I think that is changing in what I see of attitudes of men my age & also those of my kids.

If you are fiscally conservative, you may not be able to wrap your mind around the level of taxation in CR. But, the gov't requires the funds for social programs. Of course, evading taxes is quite common, but with so much being computerized & with help from the IRS, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of a backlash in the realm of tax enforcement in CR over the next few years. Never mind the 14% value added tax & tax on worldwide income currently being considered.

I'm definitely socially liberal. Fiscally, I don't think I can say I'm conservative. I don't mind paying my fair share of taxes to fund healthcare or other things for people less fortunate. I do struggle with the thought that Mitt Romney pays less of a % of tax on his investment income than I pay on my own income. However, I've also been intrigued by some of Ron Paul's platform & hope that at the very least he's brought some new ideas to the game.

Jessica

I didn't leave the USA for political reasons. And I plan on moving back. Although, my boyfriend and I joke that we'll have to wait a little longer if Santorum gets elected :P I think politics are corrupt in the states, but name me one place where they aren't. My boyfriend hates politics so much here that he refuses to vote (which I don't agree with, but that's another story). Evidently (and this is hearsay, so please correct me if I'm wrong) politicians here can't be charged with things like fraud or money laundering while in office. So obviously, they all do it. There was this one ex-politician that was caught in this enormous money scandal, and fled to Sweden for 15 years or whatever until the charges were dropped. Almost every ex-politician has been caught doing something wrong here, a lot are going to jail. So to me, it doesn't seem like politicians here are any better than the ones in the states! They're all bad. It just comes down to who gets caught.

I think there is a statute of limitations on many or most non violent crimes. And maybe even for some violent crimes. It’s also my understanding that Sala IV has ruled that Costa Rica cannot try anyone in absentia. Or maybe it’s the law of the land. And the way Sala IV got involved is that Costa Rica will not recognize any conviction by any other country wherein the person was convicted in absentia. There was a case a while back where a Columbian FARC hit man was allowed to go free by Sala IV because he was tried in absentia by Columbia.

If I understand correctly then, the legal system here encourages criminals of other countries to come here to Costa Rica to seek asylum, and home grown Costa Rican criminals/politicians to run away when in trouble and wait out the statue of limitations until the coast is clear, then return to clear your name without the threat of criminal prosecution.

And I think you are correct about the immunity of politicians. But I believe it can be removed voluntarily by the accused or against his/her will by a majority of the legislature. But that’s kind of like the foxes guarding the hen house.

Hey Ed, thanks for your comments. Yes I think that you should be able to be a flag carrying member. Sorry that the navy didn't see your value. The problem here is that both parties are advancing the same basic agenda. It doesn't matter anymore which parties in office we get more national debt, a growing decide between the financial classes and senseless wars. None of which is sustainable. Ron Paul would be the game changer. Radical, many are concerned, yes. But radical times require radical measures. If our social and foriegn policy problems are going to really be addressed, it IS going to hurt, at least for awhile. Until then both parties are maintaining tha status quo.

Have any of you Ron Paul supporters read some of his stuff? Man, that guy is a racist and a misogynist! My daughter was a Ron Paul supporter in 2008 because of his anti-war stance, then she read some of his other stuff.

We are temporarily here in the South while we wait for our boat to go back in the water. Overhearing the casual anti-tax, anti-Obama comments, and the roads here are beautiful. Back in western WA, they're terrible! So don't talk to me about being anti-tax if MY taxes benefit you and your region ... Okay, off my soapbox.

Ed, this proud liberal has to say that your comments are right on: Until everybody compromises, the US is gridlocked, and the results won't be pretty if this goes on for much longer. As for us (esposo y yo), well, one reason we are moving to CR is that in the back of my mind, I figure that our wonderful kids will have a safe haven if they need it.

regards,

Gayle

(back in CR in August, and missing it -- bad roads and all -- every day until then)

Have any of you Ron Paul supporters read some of his stuff? Man, that guy is a racist and a misogynist! My daughter was a Ron Paul supporter in 2008 because of his anti-war stance, then she read some of his other stuff.

I don't know, the guy's old. Of course he's said some inappropriate things in his life. He's like a grandpa who you just have to realize was raised in a "different" time when he called people "colored". We've all said things we shouldn't have. As far as I can tell, he has made no racist legislation. I'm a liberal, but out of the *ehem* folk in the Republican party at the moment he's my favorite. Especially when he was the only one who replied that he wouldn't let religion influence his policy making. Do any of the other guys remember that little thing called "separation of church and state"?

Good points Lucybelle, RP hasn't said anything racist. Many people throughout the years were contributors to his news letters. And a few times some people said things that are offensive, however when they were brought to RP's attention he was mortified that anybody associated with him would advance ugly material. I'm sure that many people that contribute money to RP's campaign are racist. I'm equally sure that many people contributing money to Romney's campaign are racist, but how are you going to vet all that. Gayle would you post a link of material that RP wrote with his pen that is mean or hateful, racist etc.? Lucybelle is correct. RP has advanced no racist legislation, and he wouldn't allow religion to influence how he governs. None of the other candidates can say that.

Well ... I am desperate for someone to move us forward ... I can over look any racist thing anyone wants to attribute to RP if he can get the US budget in line ... I think goal #1 is living within our means and paying down the debit ... we have lived through crooks, cheaters, etc. and I am willing to over look any potential racists claims at this time to get back on track .. if figured who every makes the changes needed will be quickly voted out so I think RP is the perfect candidate to be a one term martyr.

There is basically very little difference between Obama and the rest of the dems and most all of the GOP. The only one out there with any kind of solution is RP. However the establishment and main stream media never give him the time of day.

Not to worry RP wont get elected since not enough people understand his message. However one day maybe his son Rand can become president. The tea party revolution was started by Doctor Ron Paul and is the only thing that gives me hope that some day enough Americans will wake up and help return the country to what it was when I was growing up.

in the meantime thank god I have the opportunity to be a legal resident here in Costa Rica. Even with all it's flaws it is way more free than the USA is currently.

just my dos centavos

in the meantime thank god I have the opportunity to be a legal resident here in Costa Rica. Even with all it's flaws it is way more free than the USA is currently.

just my dos centavos

Really? Most the problems I have with the USA are either the same here or worse (marriage equality, gay rights, women rights, immigrant rights, etc)

Glad to hear you are involved Lucy belle. Some important issues there for sure and ones I would agree with you on. However not being married, nor gay, nor a woman, nor a an illegal immigrant I concentrate on many of the good things I find here in Costa Rica vs the USA.

Nice weather, cheap and excellent heath care (thanks ARCR for the group INS policy), good food, nice people (mostly), Local government easy to get along with, close by and interesting places to visit in the country, car insurance and tag fee dirt cheap, low property taxes, government off my back and finally a country without an army that does not go around thinking it is the police force of the world. There are other benefits of course and some mostly minor details that are not the best but overall living here for me is much better than the USA.