Are there many people moving to CR because of the political state of affairs in the US. Do many expats concern themselves with the very real problems that US imperialism poses for the world?

Jwalker ... I don't feel I can do anything about the political state of affairs in the US ... it has always been sad to me ... but I think the founding fathers made the US government inefficient to prevent big sweeping decisions from being made quickly .... definitely, a dictator can be more efficient ... also, I am not worried about US imperialism again because there is little I can do about it ... also, since I benefit from cheap oil, food, etc. it hard to say I am looking for a harder, more expensive life either ...

My concerns is that the US has not realized it is no longer is the sole big guy on the block. With the rise of China. Brazil, Russia, India, etc., I am concerned the US will continue to make/take unilateral decisions and actions thinking everything revolves around us .... we need to be strong and promote our national interests but we need to be aware of the world changing around us and not be so arrogant and we need to re-learn humility and diplomacy.

Normally, the inefficiency I mentioned above would be a good thing but my concern is financial and the amount of debt the US is accumulating - income, education, resources, - you name it, the US is all about the "here and now / immediate gratification" and not focused on the future enough.

I thought this example based on a family budget says it all.

The U.S. budget explained in simple English:

Annual Family Income $ 21,700

Money the family spent $ 38,200

New debt on credit card $ 16,500

Outstanding balance on credit card $ 142,710

Minimum Payment $4,543

Total budget cuts which some politicians are proud of $ 385

External debt (as % of GDP): 101.1%

Now lets put this in other terms, basically we now officially owe more money then we make as an entire economy. Meaning that even if we had a 100% tax rate for one year we still wouldn't be able to pay off the debt.

So, I am advising my kids to look outside the US for opportunities now. I figure it will take a while to work off the US debt which will slow the economy down. Plus, the US population is getting old with tons of baby boomers coming into retirement so the US will be "old people driven" skewed to increasing entitlements like SS and Medicare and staying safe. I am thinking it will take maybe 20 years until young folks can take over again and bring the creativity and energy back needed to move forward and address change.

Edited by ncdad1

nice ncdad1, I appreciate the input. I was initially concerned when you started off saying you were not concerned about problems in the US but then you went on to mention all the things that are problems as you see it. I agree, the things you point out are very real problems and both parties are pursuing the same agenda. Only if Ron Paul is successful might my concerns be addressed.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter which "party" you vote for anymore, they both represent the same 'Masters of the Universe'.

The US is now a government of the Corporations, by the Corporations, and for the Corporations. The US Citizen has been reduced to only a Consumer.

Its a sinking ship, listing heavily to starboard.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter which "party" you vote for anymore, they both represent the same 'Masters of the Universe'.

The US is now a government of the Corporations, by the Corporations, and for the Corporations. The US Citizen has been reduced to only a Consumer.

Its a sinking ship, listing heavily to starboard.

DanaJ, I have the same feeling ... I do my duty and vote but I do not think it really matters ... there are those with more money and influence than me who really run things ... and Jwalker I like Ron Paul too ... he is a little too radical for me but I am coming around to thinking that we may need a one term group to make the hard decisions in a suicide mission and then get voted out ....

Also, I do not think I am unpatriotic advising my kids to look elsewhere ... like the hit man always says in the movies before he whacks someone, "it's not personal, it's just business" ... there is no use for youngsters to waste their time cooling their heels while the US gyrates trying to stabilize. It is just going to take some painful years to work it all out ... my personal goal is to watch the process from afar on a beach enjoying retirement ...

Edited by ncdad1

Thank you DanaJ, I concure with all that you said. And ncdad1 I felt that way about Ron Paul for awhile to and came to the same conclusion that you have. Ron Paul's domestic agenda is the somewhat radical one of concern but I personally could live with it just to have his foriegn policy which I consider to be stellar.

Also ncdad1 you stated that dictatorships are more efficient. But do you remember what George Bush said about that. This job would be a lot easier if this was a dictatorship, so long as I'm the dictator". Dictatorships are only good for dictators. He wanted to be the "decider" too.

Edited by Jwalker

Additionally Ron Paul would close most of the 100 or so military bases around the world and cut the Pentagon budget reducing the military to a truly defensive posture. Since WW2 it has been offensive. President Eisenhauer warned in his fair well address 1960 to beware of the military industrial complex. Assuming the position of policing the planet, which is what the US has done building police stations ( military bases) all around the world, exploiting poorer nations natural resources and labor forces, propping up dictators when they follow orders and removing them when they don't, etc. etc. all add to and fuel the hatred for the US and inspire groups to commit more terrorist attacks. Ron Paul understands this. Any military action against any country requires UN authorization which can only come from a consensus among the seven permanent members of the security council. George Bush didn't get a consensus and told the UN to get beside us or get behind us. All the neo-cons think that's cool tuff talk. But the President of France said " ....if the United States attacks Iraq without a consensus that will be a victory for the law

that says he who has the biggest muscle rules" And he was correct.

Ron Paul is the only Republican that understands that. He wants to pursue a more humble foriegn policy as you mentioned ncdad1. And this is one of the appealing things to me about CR. there is no military. That distraction and expense doesn't exist and CR doesn't have a bunch of pissed off foreigners trying to blow up airplanes and buildings.

Edited by Jwalker

I was glad to learn that CR ran Monsanto out of the country. Hopefully more countries will give them a unfriendly atmosphere in which to do business as well. The US food supply is almost exclusively GMO products. We order food on line from other countries, but obviously that won't work for produce, which our garden cannot produce year round. As far as I can tell CR does grow GMO cotton, so if cotton seed oil is produced it would be contaminated. But they may export the whole product. IBS and pancreatic cancer is just a couple GMO related problems. another thing on the positive side of the scales for CR!

Primary motivation, no. Primary is the cost of health care and escaping from the Pac NW winters and cold/damp springs. But secondarily? Yes.

But remember: corporations are people, too! The Supreme Court told us so.

regards,

Gayle

ps: and I'll quote one of my favorite political buttons: "Patriot Act: Turning Citizens into Suspects Since 2002." Nuff said.

Yeah costaricafinca, I know your correct on that. Roundup is sprayed on GMO crops that have an engineered resistance to it and only the weeds around it perish, and I know that one can't escape all the ills of the world in CR. but I am glad that Monsanto left and certainly hope that CR joins the growing list of other responsible countries in banning all GMO's

Yes and corporations are the new countries ( Time magazine ). No fan of corporate personhood here. As for the patriot act and the illegal wiretapping and other undesirable activities that accompany it, same thing. Ron Paul!!

Just one conservative thought, Regardless of what any politician promises little can be done without a buy in of both sides. I have said before that the politics in the States is sort of like a group of schizophrenics on a family vacation. We head south but if we go south we are to far away from north then we go east and we are to far from west so we stop the car some place and complain that the others are not cooperating. In my thoughts we are not going to follow any policy more than 2 years and then the need to be elected over comes any plan to do any good for the people in the car. I voted as i did last presidential election because we, Republicans dd not have a candidate. I fear this is where we will find ourselves again. I do agree that we do not have a two part system any more. Fox News may already have announced the winner. No news anymore and very little objective reporting, too many debates. if winning a popularity contest was what is needed to be a good president we would be in great shape. But now we have to interact on a civil level with people we have dominated in the past. We need to re look at our priorities and form alliances. There should be some way to make peace with Mexico, Cuba and Hatti we are not able to do these things with an "enemy" we have known for years how do we intelligently manage more distant concerns. Closing military bases maybe a peace of what it takes to make things better. There are other things that need to be considered, health care, care of the aged, education, basic standards of living and putting people back to work. Labor unions are not the whole problem but are an example i believe of what happens when the government policies do not favor the masses. and finally is it not patriotic to invest abroad/ If it is the the federal government it appears is encouraging this behavior. does anyone want to buy tickets on the titanic? unless we gain some direction the States will continue to decline in my opinion. and if elected i will lie still and cheat to the best of my ability to continue a tradition of smoke and mirrors on the midway.

Ed

Ed,

The voters in the US long ago handed over their job of government "by the people, of the people, for the people", to their elected officials and then turned their backs on them and allowed them to run roughshod over the government (i.e., the people).

And for that reason Ed, I no longer bother watching the 'debates'. The 'politicians' these days are no longer running on their laurels, rather they are consumed with telling us what their opponents all did that was wrong or bad, or worse. How is the voter to form a measured opinion of the values and capabilities of a candidate based upon that candidate's diarrheic bad-mouthing of his competition?

The US voters/citizens should be determinedly working to take back its role of being who runs the government and directing its elected officials in what they wish be done, not the other way around. Don't know if they'll succeed but I do know that I as a single entity, cannot change the mind of the voters myself, so I seldom carp nor beat my head against the wall.

That's my personal opinion and I'm stickin' to it! I have better things to do with my time than play politics.

I do vote, however. (Would I lie?)

Paul M.

==

Politics is by no means a game to be played. Likewise, dispare should not drive one to place them on the shelf. Socrates rightly pointed out that those who refuse to involve themselves in politics are destined to be ruled by their inferiors. And Benjamin Franklin told us that the highest form of patriotism is descent. Dispare is NOT an option!