Sign in to follow this  
ivory888

More pics of ARCR would be appreciated

I'm living in a condo (see attachment) as a retiree in Toledo, Ohio, and would appreciate seeing pics of the ARCR -- if it's politically correct to request this. The press releases + programs on PBS + travelogues make Costa Rica seem like Nirvana at times. So, any pictures of the ARCR or San Jose would help me evaluate this assertion.

I'm not sure I understand how photos of ARCR (which is an office building) or San Jose would help you evaluate Costa Rica. Either of these is just a teeny tiny microcosm of Costa Rica.

All the photos you see of Costa Rica are valid and the feedback from people who have vacationed here and LOVED it are also valid. What this forum is about is the realities of living in Costa Rica vs visiting Costa Rica. No country is without faults, of course. Those of us who love Costa Rica recognize this but for us, the positives far outweigh the negatives. TV shows such as House Hunters International or articles in International Living tend to be very unrealistic. And every one of the seemingly 1 million bloggers about Costa Rica has his/her opinions - whether they are based in fact is another thing.

Keep reading this forum and take a look at one of the online, English language newspapers - AM Costa Rica, Inside Costa Rica and Tico Times. You can also look at a PDF version of El Residente - the magazine of ARCR.

Edited by eleanorcr

We were just in Costa Rica and attended the ARCR seminar. We first drove by Casa Canada and the ARCR administration building. I am of the same thoughts as Eleanorcr, the building is a normal office building and certainly did not incite us to take a picture of it. Perhaps if you could be more specific in what you are looking for, the forum members may be of some help. If it is pictures you seek here is an ARCR link.

Cheers .... Terry

Dear Julie,

Not to worry . . . Posting your pix in response to the OP's QQs actually makes for quite a sensible answer.

I wouldn't necessarily encourage everyone else to post one, but I must admit that I really enjoyed the selection of pix in your slide-show.

I hope that it gives the OP a nice overview of how CR looks.

Thank you very much!

Paul M.

==

These photos are nice of the parks and churches, etc., but don't show the really junky part of CR, like the dirty streets, impassable sidewalks, trash alongside the roads, etc. True, there's a lot of beauty here, but there's also a lot of crud brought on by the "I don't care where I throw my trash" attitude, the graffiti, the sewage in the rivers, and the lack of respect for old architecture which is left to rot. Let's be realistic here. If you can block out these things, then you will think these photos are representative of the country. There are beautiful parts, but many of those are where people don't live and contaminate the countryside.

Someone mentioned the unrealistic viewpoint offered by such programs as House Hunters. i have noticed they never mention the fact that you can't just come down here and work. In fact, many of their buyers immediately set up Real Estate companies, which is not legal until you are a permanent resident. They also seldom mention that you cannot have beachfront property here because the land nearest the water is protected.

Beware the rose colored glasses. It ain't all Nirvana, although some of it is.

These photos are nice of the parks and churches, etc., but don't show the really junky part of CR, like the dirty streets, impassable sidewalks, trash alongside the roads, etc. True, there's a lot of beauty here, but there's also a lot of crud brought on by the "I don't care where I throw my trash" attitude, the graffiti, the sewage in the rivers, and the lack of respect for old architecture which is left to rot. Let's be realistic here. If you can block out these things, then you will think these photos are representative of the country. . . .

Hmmmm... Re Costa Rica is that wholly bad, Shea, or just different?

It's not like we don't have areas like that back home where we came from... There are areas like that in Tampa where I live when in Florida.

Some of the junky areas have things/places where I need to go to get certain items (ah, ah, aA-ah- legal stuff, y'all!), and there's other places where I would not choose to go into cuz I wouldn't feel safe there.

So howz that not like areas of Costa Rica?

In Costa Rica you could prolly link the way things look to the fact that CR doesn't have much in the way of zoning.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

OMG - zoning! one of our apartments was between a car repair place and a hair salon. And on the other side of the salon was a well-practiced drummer (at least he put in the time...)

Que Ruido!!!

Edited by JulieH

Hmmmm... Re Costa Rica is that wholly bad, Shea, or just different?

It's not like we don't have areas like that back home where we came from... There are areas like that in Tampa where I live when in Florida.

Some of the junky areas have things/places where I need to go to get certain items (ah, ah, aA-ah- legal stuff, y'all!), and there's other places where I would not choose to go into cuz I wouldn't feel safe there.

So howz that not like areas of Costa Rica?

In Costa Rica you could prolly link the way things look to the fact that CR doesn't have much in the way of zoning.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I just have read so many posts from newbies, and replies from oldies, that paint an idyllic picture of this country. I am not trying to imply that the same conditions don't apply elsewhere, wherever we all come from. I am just trying to present the other side of the picture so people don't come down here expecting a pristine theme park. You are right, it's the same all over. I just think we need to show the complete package, not just the good stuff. I guess I take it on myself to balance the representation once in awhile. Dunno why.

it's the same with travel guides that seem to gloss over a lot of the less than desirable aspects of a country/city/area. My advice to those considering a move to CR would be to read the books, then go beyond that and read blogs, online news (i.e. amcostarica.com), therealcostarica.com, etc. to get a balanced viewpoint.

I thought the photos posted were lovely. I think I expressed that.

The quality of graffiti art has always amazed me. Some of it should be marketed in some way to provide the artists with a living as well as an outlet for expression that won't be painted over.

I took pics of a lot of graffiti in Paris. Some of the artists there were using stencils, which made me wonder if they were doing the same thing in several locations! Mass media!

Agreed, I actually love that type of graffiti. (What I don't like is the quickly scrawled unreadable -- to me -- text that is just ugly.) I do really like the "artsy" graffiti, and have often thought that cities would do well to work with these artists ... here, I'm thinking of all the space that is corrugated zinc in San José, think how great it would look covered in art.

Speaking of that, I think the corrugated zinc, for roofs and otherwise, is one reason that CR may seem "ugly" to gringo eyes in some areas ... we have been socialized to the notion that corrugated metal = poverty/ugliness/negative, but here it makes sense to use it, as there is not the same need to insulate roofs and have tightly seamed buildings, due to the climate. It doesn't carry the same meaning here as we ascribe to it when we see it in the states.

Edited by stewart.tb

If you are from Florida, a roof of corrugated metal is not a big deal.

You will often see walls or fences made from whatever material is inexpensive or can be scrounged. Plus - a fence or wall of metal is not subject to termites!

The real reason that there are so many corrugated roofs in SJ / CR is that they are lighter than terra cotta tiles or concrete if an earthquake drops your roof down on top of you!

I actually like the plastic roofing that is embossed to look like those terra cotta tiles more than just the corrugated metal option.

So I am all for the corrugated or plastic roofing which offer a less worrisome 'squish factor'.

¡Pura Presión!

Paul M.

==