• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
diceallion

Young, Healthy, full of dreams

Riverjop    0

Hey Arie I'm not condoning this nor am exonerateing it!

But I have seen so many young people living in Costa Rica!

We met many fine young people eight years ago on the carribean side and

Eight years later their still here, most raising there kids, some who were born here.

Some have moved to the North Pacific, another to the San Isidro area and some are still

Living in PV!

I don't exactly know how they have done this with residency and all, but I do know that they are still here

After all this time. What I am saying is that there is always a way, if you want something bad enough then

There IS A WAY! You just need to figure it out! And by all means be sure to visit Costa Rica first, I know that

It will cost you, but the experiance and connections you make may be worth far more than just money!

Epicatt2    0

Diceallion,

I think you'll find that those last two years will literally fly past and it will be time to make that visit for your test-drive of ticolandia. It was taht way for me when I was approaching retirement... At first it seemed like forever and then –BAM!– my retirement was suddenly only weeks away. It was actually pretty amazing that it all went so quickly.

And to Riverjop.... The way some of thse young people have managed to legally stay in CR is by having a kid in CR. The kid is then a costarrican citizen by dint of having been born in the country and the parents can then get residency (or even be naturalized) as 1st-degree relatives (i.e., parents) of a costarrican! That's a perfectly legal method of gaining residency in CR –but of course it's not necesarily the best course of action for everyone.

HTH

Paul M.

==

tibas9    0

. The kid is then a costarrican citizen by dint of having been born in the country and the parents can then get residency (or even be naturalized) as 1st-degree relatives (i.e., parents) of a costarrican! That's a perfectly legal method of gaining residency in CR –but of course it's not necesarily the best course of action for everyone.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Paul;

Becoming Foreign Parents of a Tico Baby IS NOT one of the viable TSE Option(s) in obtaining CR Naturalized Citizenship.

However, once a USA/Canada Expat completes a full seven(7) years(365 days X 7) as a CR Resident living inside the boundries of Ticoland they can "apply" for CR Citizenship at the TSE.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

diceallion    0

Well I am going to do this the right way. I have my wife and 2 daughters to think about.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a plan. Right now my main focus is to literally purge ALL DEBTS in our name. I am now 15% there... Then I will be saving 9 months of my current expenses. Once that is done, I am taking 3 of those months worth of expenses saved and were flying down to Costa Rica for 2 months, and truly try to live amongst the citizens. No fancy shmancy stuff... Really try to live kinda like a Vacation/living experience. I mean what ever, lol, we will try to have fun also... Just be normal.

You know, I dream this, breath this probably more then the average person, my passion, my desire to expat is so immense that it has taken over 75% of my daily thoughts. Every single action I take, every time I spend money, every time I have to make a decision, I ask myself how will this impact my possibility to achieve my dream.

Ill make this clear, I hate North America, I hate the North American life style, and I want nothing to do with this culture... Yes, I have Pura Vida tattooed on my arm... I'm getting there one way or another, one day soon or later, I will be be known.

The next 2 years............ It has never felt more real then ever before, I'm as anxious as a kid in a ice cream line.

Edited by diceallion

Bob205    0

Dice-

I'm right there with you. I lurk to learn as I have not visited CR yet, so can't add anything meaningful. My wife and I can't wait to leave for a more simple lifestyle.

I have about 8 yrs. to go, but since it will be a major move there is no limit to what we need to learn about the culture and the way things are done. We plan to make several visits to CR to make sure it is right for us, because the trip will probably be one way.

Good Luck to you and yours.

Pura Vida!!

Bob

Riverjop    0

Hang in there Dice!

Don't let it consume you, but drive you to your goal!

My wife and I said eight years ago that we would love to live in Costa Rica and maybe someday retire there.

We fly out of Phoenix one way this Wendsday to live out our dream!!!

And if it ends up that it's not for us, than the way I look at it is that it was part of our life's adventure.

But I seriously doubt it!

P.S. I had PURA VIDA tattooed on the back of my neck in small letters eight years ago!

Good Luck

CMinCR    0

Since we're recounting... I first came to C.R. 44 yr ago (1971), spending a couple months with Tico families. My Spanish was then good enough to skip 3 yr of college Spanish, gracias a los Ticos.

Lived here a couple years later near UCR, substitute teaching at the Costa Rican Academy, working with the Little Theatre Group, applying for residency (all paper back then), job offer from (long defunct) San Jose News, but my best friend wanted me to be his best man... sigh... couldn't afford a round trip. Retiring here had been on my radar ever since. Made it six years ago.

And yes, walking San Jose streets day or night was never a concern... rather it was fun!

Edited by CMinCR

With the newer residency requirements, cost of living much higher now, higher cost of mandatory healthcare especially for those under 55, putting your kids through school and just the expense of raising a family here, the 25% that the Canadian government will withhold as a non-resident from pension and RRSP's etc, plus the Canadian dollar being what it is, making a move, will be more more expensive that one would hope for.

Most of us 'regulars' on this forum have moved as a single or couple, which obviously takes less funds than for a family. Jessica and her husband are the exception and they have obviously done it right, while being able to maintain a home and business in the USA, and continuing to be able to 'work' here.

Possibly 50% more $$$$'s required by Canadians to live here, than someone making the move from the USA. :wacko:

As always, Costa Rica can be a great place to live, if you can afford it.

Edited by costaricafinca

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.