• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
diceallion

Young, Healthy, full of dreams

117 posts in this topic

Oh, I also meant to say that yes, in moving here, you leave a lot of stressors behind ... whew, what a relief! A lot of stress related to job, schedules, balancing work and home, etc. However, you'll be trading it for other stressors here that you don't have in the US. And some of those stressors, from where you're sitting now, seem like they'd be no big deal at all, compared to what you're dealing with now, and some of them, you won't even be able to imagine until you get here and experience how things "run", jaja. But ... (everybody's got a big but ...) once you're here and the newness and excitement has settled down a bit, those stressors or even just differences in general, end up being harder to deal with than you'd imagined from up north. I know it happened to me ... I was sooo stressed in trying to get out of the US, get my kids set up, take care of my housing situation and finances, end my job, deal with residency, the move, dogs, household items, car ................ etc. ....................... I so remember feeling that, and that I just needed to get out and finally get to CR. And it was great, in many ways. And yes, I did escape lots of the stress of my former life, which feels really good. But I just wanted to say that I also traded some of it for new stresses ... that even "paradise" has its things that get to you, so as you're preparing, if you can keep that in mind and expect it, the culture shock won't give you such a swift kick in the rear.

That being said, it's now time for a bowl of beans and rice.

Edited by stewart.tb

I guess I just don't get how living in CR is less stressful than living in the USA/Canada. I mean really, my life is very much similar to the way it was in the USA. I still get messages from people about how they want to "come live the simple life" in CR. Man if you wanted a simple life that bad, you'd already have one. That's my opinion. If you're too stressed in the USA, you're going to be stressed in CR. It's not about changing locations, it's about figuring out the way to run your life so you're not stressed.

One of the stresses he has, Lucybelle, is living in Montreal. That would be different. Also - there's a different set of stresses or less stress in NOT living in the city! You love it... but not everyone does. Of course, you have those pesky howler monkeys at the crack of dawn.......

I keep hearing people say they came here to kick back and relax. I will be here 6 years next month and I have one question: When does that start? lol I deal with a lot of stress here that I didn't have in the U.S.

When it takes half a day to do a banking transaction, or when you have to travel for hours because you can't do the business you need to do unless you go to San Jose, and in some cases must stay overnight in a hotel because of the time involved, that's added stress. When you get a different answer depending on who you ask even when the people in charge work side by side, that's added stress. When laws change frequently and the enforcers don't even know the changes, that's added stress. When you drive down the road and are constantly dodging motorcycles, buses, trucks and careless pedestrians, that's added stress. There are a lot of things here that make it difficult to "kick back and relax."

I no longer have a long commute to work, or deadlines to meet, or difficult bosses and co-workers, but I have traded that for long commutes to go to my doc appointments, really bad traffic, really bad and dangerous drivers ... I seem to be stuck on the transportation difficulties of living here due to my mobility challenges... You won't probably have some of these challenges, but you might (and will) have different ones.

It's really a matter of trading one stressful lifestyle for another, not eliminating the stress. The saving grace here is the people and their willingness to help you out when you need it.

I don't know, Shea, I have very little stress. Once again, it depends on where you live and how you live and how you handle life's little detours along the way. I know that with health problems it makes everything more difficult. But so far, my life is very simple and stress-free.

Traveling in "el campo" is different from city traffic, for one thing. I understand that you need to be in a certain location because of your medical treatment, but most people can choose where they want to live.

It's true, you have to be determined in order to get good answers sometimes, but I don't really stress over it. (Well, maybe for a minute or two.) I use banks that have chairs for people who are waiting so it doesn't really matter that much how long it takes. And.... it's nice to sit in an air-conditioned space and cool off sometimes.

So we have different perspectives on the stress thing.

Thank you Elenor and Expert, I think you both finally caught onto my thoughts and vision with my last post I made. All the talk about stress, Quote me if I am wrong, but I think I mentioned the word "stress" only once saying to get a less stressfull job if I downgraded my life quality as an example. I am not naive, I am totally aware that stress will always be apart of life, Cripe I am a father of 2 girls, lol, but seriously, I know.... I know I will be MORE stressed living there then here, especially the first few years, but everyone sees and handles stress differently.

Going to the market, not knowing how to get there.. Stressfull... A new adventure deal with it once, learn it, and move on...

Banking takes half a day.... Waiting in a clinic here to see a doctor takes up 12 hours, on a good day 7 hours... It has to be done right...

But I dont wanna make comparisons, Yes the grass is greener, but theres a lot of flaws as well... If it really was the ultimate paradise, wouldn't the WHOLE world move there? lol

Moving to Costa Rica or ANY tropical country to be lazy and worry free, I'm not rich... Ain't happening.

I did say I have to continue working, I have no choice, I love working, Im a salesman, and a good one too.

Yes I know about the working laws, LOL, its talked about 100 times in this forum, but I do have a plan for that.

Im a tropical Junkie... Look at my left arm............

post-14671-0-70443800-1357611752_thumb.jpg

post-14671-0-93220100-1357611805_thumb.jpg

So thats it for tonight, it may feel like I am trying to justify my reasons, but I am not, sure it feels great to have support, because it is a life changing event...

But isn't life just beautiful over there? Isn't it???

Edited by diceallion

I don't know, Shea, I have very little stress. Once again, it depends on where you live and how you live and how you handle life's little detours along the way. I know that with health problems it makes everything more difficult. But so far, my life is very simple and stress-free.

Mine too! But my life was also very simple and stress-free in the USA.

As far as a stress free job in CR, well I happen to be one of the few on here actually working in a CR run job. I think most people work on computers and such. And it's not less stressful, it's just different. The school where I work now is so laid back, that no one comes and hovers over me while I teach or makes sure the goal is written on the board or has me fill out piles and piles of paperwork. But, my school is also so laid back I never get paid on time, I never know what's going on, sometimes I come into work and the entire day is dedicated to music and I had no idea, sometimes I come in and am asked to teach in Spanish instead of English for the day. So you see, it's different here.

My novio is an engineer and works 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. At least. During the holidays he works even more (7 days a week) since the plant workers are out and they have the time and space to do repairs and install more machines. And you know what? He makes jack bad word! Although he assures me for CR, that the salary and work time is normal. That's one of the main reasons we're moving back to the USA once we get him a visa. Is for his job. So he can work less and make more, and have those things called "vacations". Man that would be awesome!

I no longer have a long commute to work, or deadlines to meet, or difficult bosses and co-workers, but I have traded that for long commutes to go to my doc appointments, really bad traffic, really bad and dangerous drivers ... I seem to be stuck on the transportation difficulties of living here due to my mobility challenges... You won't probably have some of these challenges, but you might (and will) have different ones.

It's really a matter of trading one stressful lifestyle for another, not eliminating the stress. The saving grace here is the people and their willingness to help you out when you need it.

I appreciate your post, Shea. Stress never goes away with a serious health problem. Just goes to the point that everyone has a different point of view and challenges.

Ok, so as I sit here and take a deep loooooong breath.... I got a plan!!! I know life is full of surprises and anything can change at any given time, but for once, I feel like I have a plan that will get me to my goal. I call it the 60K/6Year plan!!! ***GULP*** Pretty aggressive, but we shall see. I have to do kick ass good at work and stick to the plan!

And in 6 years, If do not find a single time to come and be a visitor at least once, well then, when I get there, everyone can all line up and give me a good kick in da but... LOL, Deal?

Here we go!!!

Edited by diceallion

It's great that you have your plan! Excellent! It may be difficult and hard work, but on those "dark days" you will know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that will help you get through it.

I hated my last year in the US and couldn't wait to move. Work was horrible and every night, I would go to sleep thinking about living on the side of a volcano - which is where I live now and love it every day.

Not just a plan but a defined goal! Stick to it and it will become a reality (whatever that means ...). Now maybe you should break it down into pieces/parts with a timeframe. Good luck with it. Your enthusiasm will carry you far.

Well first of all, welcome to Costa Rica and enjoy your future trip, you'll see that this life style is about being laid back and relaxed, not lazy, just not too many worries, and friendly people around you, I wouldn't change it for anything to be honest.

Sweet, short and simple.... Just a little update on my behalf...

As the dream still lives in my heart and soul....

Here's my more realistic plan at the moment.

I'm currently saving money to cover a full months expense here at home plus 1 full pay...

Once that's completed, save some more to cover the cost of living in CR for one month plus the air fare of course. The plan.... Visit CR for a month.... YAY!!!

One day....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor