• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
diceallion

Young, Healthy, full of dreams

117 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Arie, 32 years old, married and I have 2 young beautiful daughters. We are all Canadian, living in Montreal, Quebec.

Since I was a young child, I always had visions of myself travelling abroad and seeing other countries. As I grew older into my teen years I started believing that one day I would pack up and leave Canada to move to the USA. I always had the American dream on the back of my mind.

Getting older and starting to understand politics a little more, and after a few years of working, and really just starting to grasp what life is about, my views on North America started to change. The so called life living here in this fast paced society where everything is based on performance and stats has already taken a toll on me for my young age. I’m not saying I’m lazy, in contrary I am rather active and have held some fantastic careers until my burn out last year. There are actually many other factors that drive me simply nuts about living here, some usual things like the cold winters and the cost of living, some other issues that are a lot touchier, like the language laws (French), I won't get into that...

In 2002 I was supposed to do my first move, like a big boy, me and my best friend planned to move to the west coast, we were so psyched about, and finally when the time came, he had left one week before me to find a place, and I was to join him the following week. Well, during that week, I met my wife, lol, I never left. 10 years later, with no grudge against me, he lived a wonderful life there and came back home a few weeks ago.

A few years ago, I started to share my vision of leaving Canada with my wife, I wouldn't say she is completely all for it yet, but she does like the sound of it. As any woman, in my opinion, keeps her man grounded and nothing happens without a plan. I’m ok with that, and I respect her point, but I am more daring than she is.

So to bring this long story to an end, cause I can go on for hours, I’m am nowhere close to my retirement nor do I have tons of money hanging around, and thanks to these informative websites, I know now what the requirements are to receive residency in CR. All I can say is, save, save, save or win the lotto.

I choose CR amongst all the possible countries, because I truly admire the culture and the people. I am doing my homework, I plan on learning the language, and one day to be a part of this so called saying “pura vida” life style.

Hopefully, in a few months, I will be making my first trip to the country, looking to explore it and see how the day to day life is. Maybe I'll set up a 2 day tour with Tim, or even make friends through this forum.

Anyway, have a great day everyone, this is me typing without thinking lol, during my lunch break. Time to get back to reality, and get an ass whoopin from this world!!!

Welcome to the Forums Arie! It sounds as though you have both feet firmly planted, which is refreshing. If you're even tentatively thinking of Costa Rica as a future retirement spot I wholly applaud your caution in beginning research early.

I suggest that your first trip not be completely research. Spend some time and enjoy what C.R. offers (e.g. beaches, volcano, zip line, hiking, diving, surfing, cloud forest, etc.) of course. I'd also suggest spending a little time browsing the smaller towns. Unless you are a dyed-in-the-wool metropolitan person you'll find more enjoyment in the smaller towns and open country than in San Jose.

It might be a bit soon for Tim's tour, unless you're within a very few years of making the decision. On the other hand, Tim might show you parts of our reality here that could shift your thinking. Another possibility, if you have time, is to schedule your trip to include the last Thursday and Friday of any month, and attend the ARCR seminar. It will absorb two days of your vacation but provides massive amounts of current information.

Feel free to ask questions here too. Many Forum members have lived here or been visiting/exploring/contemplating for decades.

Edited by CountDown

In all honesty, my heart has left this Country many years ago. I play safe and research properly for the sole reasons, that I represent 3 other people in my life, and not only myself. If it was up to me, and I had the money, I would be gone long ago. The tours and research is really secondary, actually all it does is makes me more miserable, lol.

I appreciate your kind words and I am grateful to be welcomed by you and the community. I "believe" I could handle culture shock, and live the "gringo" life rather easily, lol. I have already come to a point, where I actually lose sleep at nights, tossing and turning, thinking about this move. I will not die in this country, and I will not rest well until I have successfully completed my journey. LOL, on another note... Daddy has done well brainwashing the children for the move, lol, you ask them where they would like to live, and I guarantee that they will scream out "Costa Rica" lololol.

Hi Arie, and welcome!

If you are on facebook (I think you may be able to access it even w/o signing up?), check out the Cloud Report page - Ryan and his family live in Costa Rica, and this could give you a different view of living here.

https://www.facebook...=wall&filter=12

Julie

ps - that's not "our ARCR" Ryan :-)

Edited by JulieH

Please visit for an extended time, before any major decision are made.

Research previous posts in regard to schools and schooling, which should be your main concern.

Just some input from a fellow Canadian, who has lived here for over 11 years.

Thank you... I will do my home work, don't worry about that. Anyway, $150 000 for a family residency..... Hmmmm, im like only missing 144000, I got time. Unless the Lotto 6/49 pays me tonight.

Thank you though, seriously, I appreciate your concern. I'm not one of those people like I've seen in this forum, that sold everything and bought a plane ticket to Costa Rica, then asks... "what do I do now?" lol.

To JulieH:

So thank you for the facebook link, I just finished reading everything up todate, REALLY, lol, just rub it in will ya, lol, I'm kidding, lol, very motivating story, simply makes me more eager. You all are great people, I hope to meet you all one day. Think about the benefits, Canadian Maple Syrup... lolololol

Hey arie just wanted to say hi to a fellow Canadian, not to rub it in but my wife and I are moving down at the end of June, we live in toronto now have sold almost everything and are ready to go, just can't deal with the cold anymore :)

Hey Ruffriders. We live in Barrie and have sold our house and are making the move end of August :) We can't take the cold anymore either. Best of luck to you!

Same to you Kelly b too funny we purchased a house in Barrie and cancelled the deal to move to CR small world let's keep in touch and celebrate in CR

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor