I stopped using "American" a long, long time ago. I understand why people get offended by US citizens calling themselves American, but I also don't know a single tico who would ever classify themselves as "American". So it seems like a silly battle to me.

I always use "from the states" now. But even when I say that I still get "What? The United States of Mexico? You know there's more than one!"

It's super frustrating to me. Maybe I need to get used to saying "estadounidense" and then everyone will leave me the freak alone! <_<

lucybelle - I have found that Costa Ricans are always curious about "where you are from." Sometimes when they ask me that, I say, "Costa Rica." and, of course, they say - no, before that.

Usually I say - before Costa Rica, I lived in Florida. It's not really a big deal, just say where you lived.

Yup me too...I'm from Florida.

Except the one time I was in Panama and being hassled by a "tour guide" and I said Costa Rica...somehow he didn't believe me. His response was "they don't speak English in Costa Rica"...anyway, that's a whole 'nother story.

I say estadounidense.

Good for you, Tiffany,

I also say estadounidense though there seem to be a lot of norteamericanos who can't seem to handle the seven syllables of either word.

I also tell ticos that I am a gringo desde Tampa, de la Florida, como una hora y pico al oeste de Orlando/Disney and that seems to satisfy them.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

I learned I have to differentiate between Washington state and Washington DC, if someone wants to know more, beyond just estadounidense. To me, if someone says "I'm from Washington", I assume the state, because most folks I've known from the capitol say, "I'm from DC". However, I learned that here in CR, people assume DC. ("Have you met the president?")

Ticos usually ask where in the US I'm from, and, yes, they usually assume that "Washington" means DC, so I always say, Washington State, near Seattle. And It is so muy frio right now! Thrilled to be in CR!