Any time that people become desperate, violence increases. If you ever read Desmond Leslies book, he discusses how cared animals, without enough open spaces or stimulus, go crazy, and become violent. With all the unemployment in the States, people running out of unemployment, etc. domestic violence is going to increase!! Respectully

Hi Ed,

I don't know about resources/education in CR, but believe that DV is increasing in the US. Everyone should "know better," but DV knows no economic, religious, professional, etc bounds. In the Tacoma, WA, area, near where I used to live, there was a very high-profile case of a well-liked police officer who killed his wife. Numerous DV calls and protection orders didn't save her. It's awful stuff. And throw in increased economic distress + no job, and there's your increase. I am so sorry.

regards,

Gayle

Hi Ed,

I don't know about resources/education in CR, but believe that DV is increasing in the US. Everyone should "know better," but DV knows no economic, religious, professional, etc bounds. In the Tacoma, WA, area, near where I used to live, there was a very high-profile case of a well-liked police officer who killed his wife. Numerous DV calls and protection orders didn't save her. It's awful stuff. And throw in increased economic distress + no job, and there's your increase. I am so sorry.

Hey Y'all,

Don't forget... DV works both directions.

There are prolly quite a few more battered hubbies out there than realized, but who are too embarrassed to report the incidents.

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.

==

Just alarmed we see domestic violence but there appears to be more as of late. In our area we have seen a decrease in " violent crime" with fever homicides than in 20 years or so. There has been a real effort on the part of the police chief to accomplish this with some resources I guess there is not available resources for domestic violence and until someone dies there is no real intervention to speak of . Kill someone and we react. OJ type of thing if the county spent on prevention what the cost of the trial we may have a different outcome and two people minimum might be alive.

Ed

I often wonder if there isn't the same amount of domestic violence going on, just more reporting of it. Remember that it is only recently that strong domestic violence laws have been enacted. Before that -- what was the use of reporting it? Nothing happened, usually. It's a complicated situation and a psychological as well as financial issue also.

I also think that the US being involved in prolonged wars has probably increased the instances of domestic violence in the US. Many veterans have had a difficult time readjusting to civilian life after being involved in day-to-day violence for a year or even years.

• 4 weeks later...

Dysfunctional families it appears has no geographic boarder. I come from a rural NC town. We were encouraged to be sexually active by an older male family member and called ugly names if you said you were not sexually active all within sight of our church. Later in life I learned that this person had a very unhappy home life and could not be faithful to any of the women he was involved with. Rites of passage can leave emotional scars. Being intimate is more than gymnastics and is something you do with special people. Costa Rica a few years back was noted for sexual tourism and it is not uncommon to talk with people that ask you how this aspect of life in Costa Rica is. I cannot understand the desire to be intimate with a vending machine, but I am older and from a very conservative area publicly if we behave differently in private.

Ed