tatty21

Getting money to CR for purchasing a house

Help! I am flying to CR this month for just a few days to look at some properties for sale, in the hopes of purchasing one for my retirement home.

My question is this: How can I get about $50K into a CR bank account? Should I bring a Bankers Cheque, or a personal check, or $10K cash?????

I know I will have to open an account once I get there, and then wire money into it, what do I need to open a savings or checking account.

As you can tell, I am totally unfamiliar with the process.

Thanks Everyone

Very easy. We used E&T Escrow and they are wonderful. Additionally and by luck for us, Chase in the US has some kind of specific relationship with BCR in CR, so that helped. It was a much larger amount and worked perfectly - we still use E&T services today.

Help! I am flying to CR this month for just a few days to look at some properties for sale, in the hopes of purchasing one for my retirement home.

My question is this: How can I get about $50K into a CR bank account? Should I bring a Bankers Cheque, or a personal check, or $10K cash?????

I know I will have to open an account once I get there, and then wire money into it, what do I need to open a savings or checking account.

As you can tell, I am totally unfamiliar with the process.

Thanks Everyone

First of all, this isn't your first trip here is it? If so, do not buy property yet. You really need to rent and live in a location for awhile before making the decision regarding buying property.

If you have been here many times before, and know what you are doing, please contact ARCR about their assistance in opening a bank account with Banco Nacional.

Good luck, Dana

thanks everyone for your input. I have been to CR many times, and travelled extensively throughout, with the exception of the Osa Peninsula (which is my daughters favorite area). I am going to look at 3 houses, one in San Carlos, one in Playas Del Coco and the othe is near Nicoya. Wish me luck.

To open the account with BN: go to ARCR in Casa Canada in Sabana Park area SJ.

They will help you to do it. Then when you have it, wire money from your home account.

Little fees will be applied. Many people have done it .Good luck with your move!

When we purchased our property we wired the money direct to an account number provided to us by our lawyer. We have yet to open an account in Costa Rica.

We did exactly the same thing and it worked perfectly.