This latest robbery, plus other situations that have recently arisen will probably result in us moving from the farm.

So sorry to hear that. I hope the 'other situations' are not ones of physical danger to your selves.

Where would you move if you do? Stay here in CR, or back to 'home'?

This latest robbery, plus other situations that have recently arisen will probably result in us moving from the farm.

That whole scenario is certainly untenable, Patricia, so you could not be in any way faulted for choosing to move away.

But would you remain rural, for the most part? I can't imagine you not wanting to live where you couldn't keep on doing 'country things' and growing lotsa stuff, just as before.

Perhaps just a different area far enough off that you'd have completely different neighbors (and low-lifes). Maybe you could do like one clever gringo, who put up signs around his property, "Beware of Lion" in english and spanish and then attached a big ruff to his lazy hunting dog's neck and a pouf on his tail. The ladrones never broke into his place again.

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.

==

Patricia - I'm so sorry about the latest robbery & that it will likely cause you to move but you MUST do what you feel to be best! I think the crime situation in CR is one that too many people sweep under the rug. I know that not everyone has been a victim of crime & often those who have not experienced it are the ones stating it isn't that big of a problem (or find a way to blame the victims for not being vigilant enough).

Our housekeeper slowly stole from us in our 1st year in CR. What our housekeeper took was not valued at anything like your loss, but she took a ring that was an heirloom from my husband's grandmother, a bracelet my husband gave me on an anniversary, 2 necklaces of my then 4-year-old daughter (her cross necklace & her birthstone necklace), & my then 10-year-old son's portable DVD player. Had she taken money or simply avoided the sentimental items (& not stolen from children!!!), I probably would've been more likely to sweep it under the rug. But, it hurt! For me, lesson learned. All jewelry was brought back to the States & left with my mom. Ironically, I had very little jewelry with me but it was those items I felt most attached to that I brought & ultimately lost. I can look at the situation & see where I allowed her the opportunity to take what she wanted. But, that doesn't make it my fault that she stole from us! I felt betrayed - had she simply asked me for money because she was struggling, I'd have given it in a heartbeat. The one thing that wasn't affected was my feeling of safety - had something happened to make me feel our family was unsafe, I'd have moved. As it was, I realized this was something I could control by simply not hiring another housekeeper & putting myself in the position where our belongings could be up for grabs.

Good luck with whatever you do - I hope things work out!!!!

Jessica

No, the other situations are not a physical danger, but could be considered 'mental abuse' concerning problems with a 'former partner' who has made it nearly impossible for us to continue life as we have enjoyed here, for the past 6 years. Some of the 'problems' we have experienced, we feel is due to this attitude that we have sometimes felt the 'consequences' of.

Life is too short to put up with the stress we have had the past few months, and we are ready to turn over a new page in our life here. We haven't yet decided whether we will move from this area as we have been made to feel very welcome or try something new where we can continue with the country-style living we have enjoyed for the most part.

My husband have been offered a position in another location that looks very interesting, so we may go that route but still have a few ideas in mind and we don't want to 'jump out of the fat and into the fire' :o so will wait until early next year to make a final decision.

Thanks for your concern.

As often the case, robbery is either something of opportunity, or planned in advance.

As Jessica mentioned above, that kind of things happens all the time here, we know several people whos hired help stole from them.

But not all hire help are thieves. One needs to get plenty of references before hiring ANYONE.

As for planned in advance: There was an invasion robbery here recently where the thieves knew the person had certain articles of particular interest. Gunfire ensued with one of the thieves being fatally shot, one wounded, and one getting away. This was planned because the target let it become known that he had the items of interest.

In either case, being prepared, planning, and being discreet can go a long way to preventing such crimes.

In the case of the house keepers, they probably never faced any charges, and walked away to do it again. In the other case, someone died, and the target probably would have been killed if things had turned out differently.

Again, be prepared, would you hire a housekeeper in the US without good references? Would you let it become known that you had certain highly valuable items even "back home"? If not, why would you do that here?

Of course in some cases, you can't do too much about it, except perhaps putting your valuables at the bottom of a pool, then filling it with cement.

Take care.

In our situation, she actually came with great references - our friends had used her for 3 years with no problem & vouched for her honesty. She started working PT for us & PT for a neighbor at the same time. She stole from us & the neighbor, but never from the friends who originally had hired her. Go figure!

Jessica