I didn't know where to post this so if I'm at the wrong place don't be mad. I keep seeing pictures of people in San Jose and the smaller towns, and they all have long pants. I have yet to see one with shorts. Is it the weather or does it offend the ticos? We'll be coming down next March and wanted some idea as to what to pack.

Thanks for any help. ed

Have you notice if it is just North Americans wearing shorts or do the locals also wear them?

It will depend on where in the country you are travelling as the climate varies greatly. I have always packed a pair of long pants but have yet to use them. Having said that I have only been doing the "tourist" thing and have yet to conduct any formal business, attend church, etc.

I've noticed that older Ticos almost always wear pants in both the city and the beach. Younger Ticos wear board shorts or regular shorts at the beach, rarely pants. Younger Ticos will wear either shorts or pants in the city, depending on what/where you are. I see them in shorts at the Saturday feria but in pants at the bank or in restaurants, which suggests to me it just depends on whether it is a casual activity or not.

Some may tell you Ticos are offended if Gringos wear shorts. My husband wears shorts everywhere - banks, Pricesmart, Multiplaza, etc. - & no one ever seems to pay attention, much less act offended. He has gotten looks if he's wearing flip-flops in the bank, though I've never had anyone take a second glance at the flip-flops I wear (which tend to be the wedge kind with sparkles, so maybe they look more dressy than his?).

I’d say predominantly the tourists although I tend to see younger local people wearing shorts walking around the towns. Again it really depends on where you are. Down around Jaco everyone seemed to be wearing shorts but if you are up in Monteverde few people where shorts. Where we tend to be (Puriscal) it is mixed.

Thank you. It's better to ask, than find out the hard wayrolleyes.gif

I've noticed that older Ticos almost always wear pants in both the city and the beach. Younger Ticos wear board shorts or regular shorts at the beach, rarely pants. Younger Ticos will wear either shorts or pants in the city, depending on what/where you are. I see them in shorts at the Saturday feria but in pants at the bank or in restaurants, which suggests to me it just depends on whether it is a casual activity or not.

Some may tell you Ticos are offended if Gringos wear shorts. My husband wears shorts everywhere - banks, Pricesmart, Multiplaza, etc. - & no one ever seems to pay attention, much less act offended. He has gotten looks if he's wearing flip-flops in the bank, though I've never had anyone take a second glance at the flip-flops I wear (which tend to be the wedge kind with sparkles, so maybe they look more dressy than his?).

All of the above have also been my experience and observations too.

Ticos normally wear closed shoes and pants. Ticas will wear sandals, but not shorts really. Unless you're on the beach when everyone is in a bathing suit. Ticos can tell gringos because they wear shorts and sandals. After living in the States for 6 months, my tico boyfriend has gotten used to wearing shorts and sandals. All his friends make fun of him and ask him why he's dressing like a gringo. Wear what you like. You'll probably be pegged for a gringo anywaysrolleyes.gif

I think it depends on where you are. San Jose is a cooler climate than Liberia so in San Jose, I usually wear long pants - sometimes even a skirt! or capri pants. In Liberia -- hot, hot -- I wear shorts and a tank top and even old women like me wear the same thing. Of course, at the beach, shorts and flip flops and tank tops are the "uniform of the day."

But I think Lucybelle is right - it really doesn't matter -- you will be pegged as a gringo.

If you are doing business somewhere, I would dress appropriately and conservatively, probably.

The biggest mistake I see foreigners make is to dress down or sloppy. Most Costa Ricans are very neat in their appearance and if you come here wearing old, ratty T-shirts and ragged shorts, thinking you will blend in, it's just kind of insulting. Yes, wear what's comfortable but often each situation is different.