tbeck3579

Anyone Living in a Gated Community?

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone here is living in a gated community, or an active senior community in a single family home? If so, can you tell me where you are, how you like it, and the things you would change if you could? Do you know of any communities that you like and are currently selling? Any information about your personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your information. It is much appreciated!

Take care,

Teresa

Hi Teresa - there are gated communities, and there are gated communities. We used to picture the North American style only, until we moved into our current condo and discovered that that was exactly what it was :-S.

Ours (and many others in Tico neighborhoods) is small - 2 buildings of 4 apartments each, has a nice garden courtyard, and a guard/doorman.

Just something to keep in mind.

We are in Alajuelita which would scare away most gringos, but the condos are typically three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a great room style for LR, DR, and kitchen, and bigger than most Tico homes and smaller than NA homes. There are maybe 200 units in a row house style--realtively new--less than ten years, and some amenities like a pool, armed guards, etc. Very pleasant environment inside the gate. Almost always something for sale and quite reasonable since almost all Ticos in the development.

I just checked and there are a couple for rent for about 300,000 colones, but don't have a good handle on what a sales price would be.

Edited by sectorbets

We have purchased property in a gated community but have not built yet, we are in the process of planning. Our 3 acre lot has a building area and we have planted fruit trees galore but we have another two years of collecting $$$ at regular jobs before the move. This is a gated community that has United States Residents, Canadians, Denmark Residents, but not your average Tico. All the houses so far are what a Canadian or U.S.A. person would consider “normal”. Right now there are two phases almost sold out (ten houses built) and there will be an additional two phases in the next year or so. Here is a link to the community.

Thank you JulieandRicki. I spent some time reading your blog and it is really great! I want to spend some more time reading. Thank you sectorbets. I'm going to check out the are now. I really appreciate the information and seeing such a variety of different living situations. I'm not scared away by an area, but I would like to create a network of English speaking friends. I lived in Germany for a couple of years and my English speaking friends were very important to me. I very much enjoyed living in Germany and the people, it was just nice to have people that shared a similar culture to talk to.

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone here is living in a gated community, ...

We're really glad we bought a condo/townhouse here. Our mother and a sister like it a lot, and it's very safe/secure. The landscaping and open space are exceptional for the SJ area.