Harriet411

Yurt question on import tax

Thanks Shea! Disappointing to hear, but good to know. Even though I am not in a wheelchair yet (though I do rarely use it even now), I don't want to move somewhere that isn't accessible. I could easily find myself permanently in a chair one day and to be stuck into a town we bought property in but I can't get around in would be awful.

Any good places you can think of please let me know. Your advice is much appreciated :)

Hi Harriet,

I'm in Alajuela and though there exist the same sorts of sidewalk situations as mentioned elsewhere in CR I did notice in June just before I left that there were a number of new wheelchair ramps (bridges, actually) being installed at corners to allow passage over the sometimes two-foot deep gutters. And yes, as someone mentioned,some of them look to have only a couple inches of clearance on either side of the wheels, but . . . . they're putting them in, halla-Loo!

Alajuela is, IMO, a bit easier to get around in for me walking with a bum hip, than is San José and prolly Atenas. There are some corners I have to avoid cuz I can't just hop across a lot of those gutters any longer. So one memorizes which is the 'path of least resistance'.

Fortunately Alajuela Centro is fairly compact so once memorized I can navigate fairly easily within that area. Or I just take a taxi to the area I'm wanting to shop in and do several errands right there. Then maybe another taxi onward for a couple more errands and then another to go back home.

Using taxis around town is quite affordable for me. I couldn't do that back in Tampa because taking taxis like that would require taking out a second mortgage! So I have to keep a car in Tampa to get around.

Between using taxis and buses, as long as one is able to climb aboard, getting around is relatively inexpensive in CR.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Thank you Paul! That's good to know they're trying. I know a law was passed regarding equal access a number of years ago, but even with the law in effect, funding is the problem. I can understand that. CR has a lot of infrastructure things it needs to work on and has limited funds to do them. It also takes time, but seeing ramps being installed is a great sign, indeed! So Alajuela Centro might be a good choice to check out further. We're looking for a rental house (house, not apt.) that will allow 2 dogs.(Well trained, well-behaved sweet dogs). Know of any around for $500/mo or less? We only have 2 months left before we move so I need to get a rental set up soon.

I believe it David. How a space is set up makes a huge difference. Do you mind my asking..(and you can give me a rough ballpark. I don't want it to feel too personal) how much it would cost to build a structure of about that size? Not the property or anything else...just the structure itself.

David, do you know of a house for rent that will allow 2 dogs? (they're very friendly and fully house-trained so they don't mess anything up. They're good dogs). We only have 2 months to go. I'd pay the deposit now for a monthly just to secure it. We've got to start somewhere and then from that first place, we can worry about finding a longer-term rental and really start our 'town investigation'. That and acclimating to the new culture and new life we are about to embark on. It's so exciting! And 2 months is nothing. I almost feel like I don't have enough time left, even though we've been planning for over a year and have all of our paperwork on-track, movers scheduled, all that good stuff but it feels like crunch time anyway. It didn't help that I lost more than a week of productivity when I became gravely ill. I'm just getting better from that now, but I was bad enough that we we're scared. My husband is very difficult to rattle and he was a wreck, poor thing. I felt so sorry for him. But that tells you how awfully sick I was. But anytime I had a lucid moment of thought, all I could think of was everything we should be doing to get ready and what a waste of time being sick was. But, the rest of the time, I couldn't talk and was totally unresponsive (scary, huh?). When I seemed awake and was asked a question, my answers made no sense. (So they say. I don't remember any of that lol). But enough of that. I can function again and that's what matters.

Let me know (either of you) if you think of anything that would work for us. I'm so grateful for all of the assistance and advice from you here.

Edited by Harriet411

Thank you Paul! That's good to know they're trying. I know a law was passed regarding equal access a number of years ago, but even with the law in effect, funding is the problem. I can understand that. CR has a lot of infrastructure things it needs to work on and has limited funds to do them. It also takes time, but seeing ramps being installed is a great sign, indeed! So Alajuela Centro might be a good choice to check out further. We're looking for a rental house (house, not apt.) that will allow 2 dogs.(Well trained, well-behaved sweet dogs). Know of any around for $500/mo or less? We only have 2 months left before we move so I need to get a rental set up soon.

Hi again Harriet,

I would strongly encourage that you NOT rent anything sight unseen. Not only are you flirting with getting a pig in a poke, you will also want -no, need- to see the neighborhood it is situated in to be able to make your best decision.

What has been suggested here on the Forums many times previously is to rent at a B&B for two weeks to a month and while there, where you will have a set place to lay your head each night, you can be exploring the area and nearby towns via day-trips. Having that place already booked keeps you from rushing into renting the first place you find, and allows you to make a better choice without being hurried into something that isn't exactly appropriate for you.

I'd really suggest doing that and in the process of looking for a house rental, you can be familiarizing yourself with Alajuela Centro to see how well it is going to fit your needs. Alajuela Centro is approximately 10 blocks by 10 blocks and, as the 2nd largest city in the country, it has 95% of everything you'll need without having to traipse over to San José for anything other than an infrequent visit to certain government offices that are only in the capital.

I'd suggest that you consider staying at Vida Tropical in Alajuela. It's on a quiet side-street 250 meters outside the Centro area and is within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants, pharmacies, banks groceries, etc., or by cab, inexpensively, to those same places. This B&B has three wide, easy steps to navigate to enter and six rooms to let with one of the rooms on the ground level having its own private bathroom. The other five are shared bath and three of the rooms are upstairs. Breakfast every morning will get you jumpstarted properly for the day's activities.

Not only is the B&B a place to lay your head each night, but Isabel the manager speaks very good english and may even know of a house to rent the meets your requirements. And BTW, Vida Tropical does allow well-behaved pets.

There are other places to stay of course but I stayed there for all my visits between 2000 and 2009 after which I rented an apartment nearby. Vida Tropical became like a home away from home during those years and I still miss staying there. I do go back occasionally to have breakfast and visit with Isabel and Silvia the cook.

HTH

Paul M.

==

I just figured we could rent somewhere and pay for the month and even if we stayed only a week (or less even), it would be cheaper than a hotel. The month would still be paid for, no one gets ripped off,but just because we paid for that one month doesn't mean we have to sleep there the whole time.

Thank you very much for the B&B idea, it's probably what I'll do since they allow pets and shipping pets later as cargo is much more paperwork and hassle... (and more expensive) than checking them with you as luggage on the same flight. It was recommended several places to try and avoid shipping as cargo unless you have no other choice. But back to the B&B, even with her reasonable prices it's $350.00 a week which is $1400.00 a month. A cheap monthly rental somewhere is equal to a week or so at the B&B. And even with a B&B or hotel, you don't know what you're getting. i.e. I know someone who's room was robbed at her hotel, but it was advertised as "a safe, friendly neighborhood". Since you've stayed at this B&B personally, I can at least know it's a good, safe place. If either of you personally knew of a monthly rental it would amount to the same thing. I'd at least know something about it. That's why I haven't gone with the online classifieds. No one to recommend the area or anything else.

David...thank you for the guesstimate. True that it's better to budget high and come in low than the opposite, that's for sure.

Thanks Shea! Disappointing to hear, but good to know. Even though I am not in a wheelchair yet (though I do rarely use it even now), I don't want to move somewhere that isn't accessible. I could easily find myself permanently in a chair one day and to be stuck into a town we bought property in but I can't get around in would be awful.

Any good places you can think of please let me know. Your advice is much appreciated :)

Its not just Atenas, its most towns in CR. You see, the City is not responsible for the sidewalks. The landowners are, at least for the part directly in front of their house. So you will get a few meters of good sidewalk, with bad or worse side walk, or no sidewalk at all. There have been efforts around Atenas recently to fix some really bad parts of the sidewalk. But it is still way to variable for wheelchair access. For instance, in walking to the Mega Super the other day there is a section that is level, then part with a driveway dropping down thru it, then a section with steps, then a big gutter. No way someone in a wheelchair could navigate that block.

Dana

If you are looking for an inexpensive rental, the best way is to look for it once you are "on the ground." This is why, I think, Paul was recommending staying at a B&B. Not to rent long-term, but to have a chance to look around and ask around and find something that suits you.

This way, you can ask at the B&B as well as other places and just drive around and look at places. You will often see a sign on a house - "Se alquila" or just an empty house with no sign and you can ask the neighbors how to contact the owner.

Doing it this way will also allow you to move to another location should you find your original plan unsuitable.

Thank you very much for the B&B idea, it's probably what I'll do since they allow pets and shipping pets later as cargo is much more paperwork and hassle... (and more expensive) than checking them with you as luggage on the same flight. It was recommended several places to try and avoid shipping as cargo unless you have no other choice. But back to the B&B, even with her reasonable prices it's $350.00 a week which is $1400.00 a month . . .

Harriet,

Vida does have both weekly and monthly rates mentioned on their website and which are more attractively priced, but they do not post the prices; you must inquire. They have a toll-free number from the US and Canada. Isabel is usually at the B&B after 12:30 or 1:00 pm, when Silvia leaves. (CR is on CST and does not observe DST, BTW...)

But, consider . . . since it is off-season they may be amenable to bargaining with you a little. During the rainy season they are often mostly empty -as are so many other places.

But if you do consider staying there do make a reservation ahead of time. The place has a way of sometimes being booked ahead on one day or another, or suddenly filling up at the last minute from time to time.

Once right after I'd rented my apartment and a 'friend' (Ha!), whom I had let stay there for a few weeks before my return, stole all my furniture and appliances from the apartment just before I arrived in CR, I found that due to that, suddenly at the last minute I needed to stay at VT 'til I could refurnish the apt. I wound up having to change my room at Vida for a couple days during that stay because someone had previously reserved my room. It wasn't much of an inconvenience for me but some people may not like having to switch rooms. So it is best to book ahead.

HTH

Paul M.

==

I agree with the others that the sidewalks are bad all over Costa Rica! If they are even there....

I had to use a walker/wheelchair for a couple of months, mainly around the Liberia , two years ago, and it was near impossible for me to manoeuvre the wheelchair by myself. Unless you are in a mall, you will have problems.

San Ramon is known for it's foggy/humid conditions.

When we booked at Vida topical, we not only had to change rooms...we were moved along the road!

Better choice may be at somewhere like Normas Villas.

*I would have grave concerns over moving here when you recently have been 'gravely ill'.

While costs for hospital here are less than the USA they are still high using the good private facilities.

Edited by costaricafinca

Another good B&B in Alajuela is Alegria B&B. Huge house with beautiful rooms, two sitting areas, garden, and the host, George, makes a mean breakfast!

The only place where I frequently travel that has decent sidewalks and ramps into and out the streets - is Canas - an agricultural center that probably has nothing you are interested in.

Another good B&B in Alajuela is Alegria B&B. Huge house with beautiful rooms, two sitting areas, garden, and the host, George, makes a mean breakfast!

Eleanor,

I know Alegría B&B and the owner George is a nice fellow. And I agree with you that George's B&B is spacious and clean, and I would recommend it except for the fact that they do not accept pets, which Harriet wants accommodations for.

OTOH, Vida Tropical does accept pets.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

We have our reservations at Vida Tropical for the end of September. Isabel seems very nice and we are very grateful for the recommendation! Muchas Gracias!!

Hi Harriet,

I fly south this coming Tuesday for a couple months in Alajuela so I'll be there when you arrive. My apartment is just three blocks from VT.

If you aren't rushing in and out in a flash, I could come by for breakfast one morning if you'd like to pick my brain.

You will love Isabel. She's a sweetheart.

Hasta Pronto,

Paul M.

==

That would be lovely, Paul. We will be staying there September 27 - October 3 (or an additional week if need be. She already said additional time is fine. There's something to be said for starting off during the rainy season!). So any breakfast (other than the 27th of course) we'll be there and would most happily enjoy meeting you...along with a bit of 'brain-picking' :)

I certainly agree with Paul about Isabel being a sweetheart. We stayed there in July and she was so sweet and helpful. Her son Niko is a joy too. The only problem was that we stayed in the separate part with the private bathroom and partway through our stay there the bathroom light switch went out, so the bathroom was dark for the rest of our stay. We'll be returning in January and will be staying just for a night before we head to San Ramon and I think we'll stay in the house. We haven't made reservations yet.

Jodi

Hi Harriet,

I fly south this coming Tuesday for a couple months in Alajuela so I'll be there when you arrive. My apartment is just three blocks from VT.

If you aren't rushing in and out in a flash, I could come by for breakfast one morning if you'd like to pick my brain.

You will love Isabel. She's a sweetheart.

Hasta Pronto,

Paul M.

==