jklewis

Moving and need a reputable realtor.

Some areas have internet access by way of landlines. I have a landline for that and to actually use the phone at my house since my cell phone doesn't work at my house and I have to walk up the driveway to the street and turn around and face the tower and sometimes, walk even further up the hill.

Competing phone companies are, so far, just for cell phone.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

A little about my situation.

I did the jump in with both feet thing, and so far I love it. I have made mistakes and learned from them, but I don't dwell on them. I am 35ish ;) with a Tica fiancee so I think I have a little of an upper hand than being "just a gringo" or an "expat". (Not the age, but having a tico/tica close by at all times). My Spanish is weak, but I am learning as quickly as I can.

I'm Sorta Rican (mom's from England, dad is from Puerto Rican) so, I can pass as a Tico if I keep my mouth shut.

I have been here for about 6 months, at first off 3 weeks here and 1 week back in Tampa, FL. I have since rented a place in San Francisco de Heredia.

I can soooo relate to the list that was posted earlier by ciclista.

I just purchased an expensive car ($1K) and went through the whole RTV and Marchamo...that's an experience in and of itself.

I believe CR to be like any other place in the world, you can find good and bad, pretty and ugly no matter where you look.

I work from home via the internet, so I have both a land line for internet as well as a data card (or air card) for those times when the land line doesn't work. I HAVE to be connected during working hours so, I had to have redundancy. I have unlocked iPhone with a prepaid SIM for cellular service and it works great. I spend about $10/mth (5000 colones).

I just received my first electric and water bill for a full month and that was about $26 (13,000 colones).

The one lesson that I learned that bugs me the most is when I went to get my oil changed in the car...I watched the mech drain the oil, but then decided to go and grab some lunch...only during the RTV inspection did I learn that the mech replaced the oil with used oil!! who does that? Anyway, so I learned always stay with your car until you find a mech that you can trust.

I don't have kids here yet, so I can't speak to the education system or rules surrounding it. My fiancee's little brother and sister are in a local colegio (what we call high school) and I can ask them any questions if you have that need.

As far as the forums on here go, lots of great information to be found, lots of opinions and stories but as that saying goes "opinions are like A holes, everyone has one and they all stink".

So "take the chicken and throw out the bone".

Wow..when did I become some kind of cliche quoting machine? Anyway, I digress.

Good luck and feel free to reach out to me, I'll be glad to help if I can.

~Merc

The most important question to answer is not where should I live in Costa Rica. It is how should I live in Costa Rica. The answer to that question will tell you the answer to should I live in Costa Rica.

Finding a physical place to live is an easier question to answer and, if you don't drop an anchor larger than you can lift, you can always move on.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

A little about my situation.

I did the jump in with both feet thing, and so far I love it. I have made mistakes and learned from them, but I don't dwell on them. I am 35ish ;) with a Tica fiancee so I think I have a little of an upper hand than being "just a gringo" or an "expat". (Not the age, but having a tico/tica close by at all times). My Spanish is weak, but I am learning as quickly as I can.

I'm Sorta Rican (mom's from England, dad is from Puerto Rican) so, I can pass as a Tico if I keep my mouth shut.

I have been here for about 6 months, at first off 3 weeks here and 1 week back in Tampa, FL. I have since rented a place in San Francisco de Heredia.

I can soooo relate to the list that was posted earlier by ciclista.

I just purchased an expensive car ($1K) and went through the whole RTV and Marchamo...that's an experience in and of itself.

I believe CR to be like any other place in the world, you can find good and bad, pretty and ugly no matter where you look.

I work from home via the internet, so I have both a land line for internet as well as a data card (or air card) for those times when the land line doesn't work. I HAVE to be connected during working hours so, I had to have redundancy. I have unlocked iPhone with a prepaid SIM for cellular service and it works great. I spend about $10/mth (5000 colones).

I just received my first electric and water bill for a full month and that was about $26 (13,000 colones).

The one lesson that I learned that bugs me the most is when I went to get my oil changed in the car...I watched the mech drain the oil, but then decided to go and grab some lunch...only during the RTV inspection did I learn that the mech replaced the oil with used oil!! who does that? Anyway, so I learned always stay with your car until you find a mech that you can trust.

I don't have kids here yet, so I can't speak to the education system or rules surrounding it. My fiancee's little brother and sister are in a local colegio (what we call high school) and I can ask them any questions if you have that need.

As far as the forums on here go, lots of great information to be found, lots of opinions and stories but as that saying goes "opinions are like A holes, everyone has one and they all stink".

So "take the chicken and throw out the bone".

Wow..when did I become some kind of cliche quoting machine? Anyway, I digress.

Good luck and feel free to reach out to me, I'll be glad to help if I can.

~Merc

Thanks :) Much good info here. Good luck to you. We haven't gotten to the car stage yet... should be fun!

This thread has certainly taken some nasty turns, hasn't it? FYI, NY person, do not presume to know me, or anyone else on this forum based on what we have posted. I happen to be a voracious reader, and have been all of my life. Here's the thing. Over the years, I have lost count of how many people have come along to this, and other, forums, asking the same old questions, and then being insulted at the responses they are given by those of us who are here. They then become insulting on their own, just as you have, and end up telling us they are going to go ahead and do what they are going to go ahead and do. And, that is usually the last we ever hear of them. I mean, we rarely find out if they even get here, let alone find a place to live, and settle down. So, I have one last thing for you, a challenge: Come back to this forum in six months time, and then, again, later on, and bring us all up to date with what is going on in your new CR life.

I offer you no apologies because I do not believe anything I have said was insulting to you (it still takes two to tango), and I ask none from you. But, I do ask that you show us the proof of your convictions by coming back here later on. Thank you, and goodbye.

I owe you no proof of anything, grumbly, but i already said i would say hi in 6 & 12 months. voracious reader, eh? ;)

I suggest a trip of 3+ days to Puerto Viejo on the Carribean side. It's a very different place from NYC,and I think it's fairly unique in CR. (Dominical has recently become a bit more like PV-Carribbean.) While it's not a place I could live for more than a week or so, from your quoted comments, you just might like it. And I don't think you'll find anyone there telling you what you can/should or can/should not do, because somebody there is probably already doing it and probably nobody else cares much. It's very much a "live and let live" kind of place, with many of the "pluses and minuses" that come with that.

You might want to contact "Sonrisa" on this forum, because I think she lives there now.

Thanks, that sounds interesting. If it is even a little towards the mid 80s (farenheit) my husband will hate it. he is the reason we are relegated to central valley. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Maybe in a few few years i will get another little place to get away. I wanted to live in limon. Some drupal programmer told me it's too dangerous. I love the Caribbean vibe.

FORUMS RULES & GUIDELINES REMINDER:

Rule 2. We will not tolerate abuse. By that we mean abuse of any other Member, their opinions, the use of language that we feel in our sole opinion would be objectionable to our Members. We are not Puritans, but avoid the nasty stuff. This does NOT mean you can't express an opinion different from another person. It does mean you have to express that difference of opinion without resorting to nasty words or personal attacks on the other Member.

All who joined the Forums agreed to abide by the Forums Rules & Guidelines when you signed on originally. A copy of the Rules & Guidelines is sent with your confirmation email.

Please accept this post as a courtesy reminder that all members are expected to 'play nice' and respect each others' opinions.

Just sayin', before things get a chance to 'get out of hand'.

Moderator.

==

who said i don't speak spanish? i'm not fluent, but i get by. I can read everything but am not so confident speaking yet. That will change. your handle is appropriate at least. I don't know anything about "your" customs or traditions? Laws? I read more books last week than you have in your entire life. I'm really not in the mood to be bad word!ed with so don't dangle the toy in front of me. usenet flaming is an old hobby.

why the are you so afraid? live your life. i have made many promising acquaintances while here. I assume you aren't one of them.

I assume that because we are US citizens we are allowed to homeschool. If not, we'll go off the grid. So what? Is correspondence school illegal? How about private tutors?

I also read that homebirths are illegal- can anyone attest to this? I had my 2 babies at home. I'm a doula. There appears to be one homebirth midwife and one doula in the country.

Always rock the boat. As long as you're smarter than everyone else you have nothing to be afraid of. Enjoy your sheltered, unadventurous life.

A

WOW...I'm thinking of moving to C.R. and consider this site to be invaluable...This thread was supposed to be about finding a Realtor..Now look at it....I appreciate all info here...Agnieszka ...It seems to me you are thin-skinned in which case you might not like the reality of C.R. If you want to rant and rave I would suggest you find a site for that.

I for one want to know about Realtors......Thanks Everyone

I suggest a trip of 3+ days to Puerto Viejo on the Carribean side. It's a very different place from NYC,and I think it's fairly unique in CR. (Dominical has recently become a bit more like PV-Carribbean.) While it's not a place I could live for more than a week or so, from your quoted comments, you just might like it. And I don't think you'll find anyone there telling you what you can/should or can/should not do, because somebody there is probably already doing it and probably nobody else cares much. It's very much a "live and let live" kind of place, with many of the "pluses and minuses" that come with that.

You might want to contact "Sonrisa" on this forum, because I think she lives there now.

Thanks- I rented a house there for a month. Can't wait to check it out.

WOW...I'm thinking of moving to C.R. and consider this site to be invaluable...This thread was supposed to be about finding a Realtor..Now look at it....I appreciate all info here...Agnieszka ...It seems to me you are thin-skinned in which case you might not like the reality of C.R. If you want to rant and rave I would suggest you find a site for that.

I for one want to know about Realtors......Thanks Everyone

thin-skinned, no. sensitive, yes. I like CR. I have been here enough to know that- how long have you lived here? i just need the right neighborhood. So far I do not particularly like the central valley because it's too cold. The neighborhood i am currently renting in in heredia is not a good location, which is hard with 2 kids. But I like it here. And I go to the caribbean side in just a few days.

i got A PO Box and got stuff notarized and am opening a bank account... slowly but surely.

Aggis

(month 2)

For the record, homeschooling is illegal in CR. I've homeschooled the last 4 years & have kept my kids "out of the system" so far. I say "so far" because I'm friends with a family who lived in Jaco & while there a disgrunted employee turned them in to PANI for homeschooling. Their daughter now attends the local school to prevent further consequences (beyond the gov't agency's interference in their lives).

Jessica,

A bit off the topic, but can you explain a little more about homeschooling in CR and what PANI is? I did get your reply to my message and thank you so much, but this info might be helpful for others in the forums. Is it illegal to do a virtual school from the US?

To the OP, I have just made the move to CR in the last few months with 4 children. I feel much the same as you (I think) about the current situation in the US. We had been here many times, done a ton of research, and had acquired a few friends here over the last seven years, but it is what it is when you get here. IMO, nothing can prepare you for the actual event. We are adjusting little by little, I have days I want to get on the next plane to the US, and days that I am so happy to be here. I think everyone feels like this at first, I am hoping the bad days come less often as time goes on. My experience is not everyone's though, and I know that

making such a huge move WITH children only makes it more difficult. Good luck to you!

As promised, I am updating you all on what's up after 6.5 months of living in Costa Rica. Here goes:

We bought a restaurant and are building a house on it in Playa Chiquita (5km south of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca). It's called Alice and I highly suggest you stop by. Our Grand Opening last night was a huge success and you can follow me and my family at http://crtrip.tumblr.com. Most recent 2 posts are of the party last night.

Construction is going along well, I will be teaching English starting February 6th to Kinder & Primero and am excited about it. We have found the community here to be much like any other and perhaps we're unusual in this regard, but we have no regrets or hesitations and are greatly enjoying our new home.

There is a lot to be said for following your heart, your gut and jumping in with both feet. It's not for everyone, I suppose, but if you're adventurous and throw caution to the wind, you can't lose. That is my opinion. It works for me, for my family and even our 3 cats and new pup. Unfortunately I lost a pregnancy recently but am confident my family will continue to benefit from all costa rica has to offer to people like us- particularly, in our case, the southern caribbean.

Thanks to everyone for the secret support in private messages and for giving me this wonderful opportunity to update you on our amazing new lives as we make our way through the adventure of our lives.

Much love,

Aggie a.k.a. Alice

==========

Reminder - Per the Forums Rules & Guidelines: Members may not advertise nor promote their own businesses. The included comments about the new restaurant and its opening are being permitted this one time only because it is part of an update by the member about her move to Costa Rica and will therefore be of interest to those following this member's settling in to CR. - Moderator

==========

Awesome rant, I love this "free" entertainment....... and knowledge of course. Hey that bit about the NO homeschooling threw me for a loop. was planning on putting my girls through primary school then home school the rest. Oh well. As always, on this information Hwy the billboards are informative and the scenery is awesome.

Cheers to all

Skip

I love this forum.... You know, just reading day after day, I can definitley say, I WILL BE PREPARED, lol.... All these conversations, back and forth, vital information is pased in each comment, sometimes too much info, if you can't step back and grasp it all from a wider prospective, you will be lost. Wow, very impressed with every single member here. Thank you.