jklewis

Moving and need a reputable realtor.

16. Salsa dancing!

Salsa dancing. Oh well. No way we're moving down there now. ;-)

No Salsa? Que malo. And you were doing so well up to that point!

Don't confuse the association with the forum.

good point. *sigh*

there are some lovely people here in the shadows. Thank you to all of you who have reached out. I will respond as soon as I can. For now, I have to sleep for negotiations on the rental in the morning in san joaquin :)

Oh my, Aggie. You're in for some rough times in CR.

I'm just trying to do what feels right. Everyone I have met has been amazing and fwiw, i disagree.

again, i will let you know how happy we are in 6 months and a year. then you can say "i told you so". until then... don't.

when i'm an "oldbie" i'll be encouraging and supportive and optimistic. or perhaps you are trying to keep this gorgeous place to yourselves. That is one thing I don't know. I wouldn't blame you for that though.

cheers,

A

I've looked past the insults which you've thrown out in just about every post you've made, trying to give some solid info...I'm one of the only members of this board who is under 40, with kids, homeschooling, who has built a successful life in Costa Rica, & could probably offer some insight into what you might face in relocating here with kids...but I think I'm going to stay away from this thread due to negative vibes!

Jessica - living a life that is anything but unadventurous & sheltered!

Finally, I am referring to Civil Rights which are no longer existent in the USA, not nuisances. Real erosion of rights, human dignity.

How much time have you spent in the machismo Latino culture of Central America? Sometimes women get treated very badly, and it won't matter how strong or smart you are, especially if they find out you're a gringa, or the woman is poor.

Is it okay with you that you can be stopped by the police at any time on a CR road, for no reason at all except that you are a gringo? And that if you are accused of a crime you can spend months, yes months in jail before charges are even brought against you?

It will be good for you to spend time learning about just how badly the Central American immigrants to CR get treated, and how too many of them have to live, just to survive, and I don't mean the cushy survival like you see in the US. You think you're going to a place with less racism and gingoism... I don't think so. It's just that in CR the words used and the attitudes are more matter-of-fact, you know, like it was for black people in the US 40 years ago, and still is in some areas in the US.

Or when you catch the guy who robbed you, see him arrested (very unlikely), and be back to rob you again in the next month, and btw, everybody in your little town or neighborhood knows who robbed you. Then you will be asking about your own civil rights.

You want to talk about changing society, talk to Ticos about the growing crime and drugs problem in their country, and how overwhelmed their "police" force is, and how many corrupt judges are still in place.

A substantial part of CR's income is based on the foreign perception of CR, and believe me, that perception is not becoming more positive. I think that is a fragile state to be in.

I'm not saying anything about whether or not you and your family will do well, or not well in CR, but from your comments in this forum, you appear to be naive, maybe a bit idealistic about what you will find in CR. That, in itself is not a bad thing, and it doesn't make you dumb or anything else, but you are attacking people here who help people on this forum every day of the week, and your "style" and maybe anger or frustration is going to be tested often in CR society.

As you get to know happy Ticos, look closely at what matters to them, how they live their lives, how they interact with people within their family and outside of their family, and how that all contributes to their expressed happiness.

And like "Arenal Grumbler" I haven't read a book this week, but I have learned a lot from being in CR about 25% the time these last two years, and from mi prometida (she's been living and working in the US, and a US Citizen for 10+ years) and her wonderful Tico family.

Hey Aggie

I'm a fellow New Yorker living in NJ/CR at the moment, and eternally optimistic. CR is a pretty cool place, and you are right that San Jose is only a tiny bit grimier than NYC, and a heck of a lot better than NYC was back at the time of the movie Needle Park--remember those days--you might be a bit young, but maybe you saw the movie. I suspect many on this web site might run from NYC living just as they aren't captivated by SJO and its suburbs like Escazú

In any event, CR is like anyplace else to me--I like big cities, and wish that SJO were even bigger and faster paced. yeah--I know--not everybody's cup of tea, but I'm not going to live in the middle of the rain forest--nice to visit, but give me the city life. Our house is in Alajuelita which is certainly not a fancy suburb like Santa Ana or Escazú. Once we have a better outlook on the future, a condo in SJO is the most likely habitat--we'll probably buy two and rent one out.

So, please don't go away even if hubby stays. The knowledge base is large, and while many of the experiences are small town in nature, there is much to be learned--maybe even a little from a big city guy like me. Oh yes, my wife grew up in Mexico City which is almost three times as large as NYC, and she thinks SJO is really just a small town--all depends on what our eyes see, eh !!

Thanks - yes it is small here. And we all know if you can make it in NY you can make it anywhere, right ;)

i don't like small towns or suburbs; i can do tarzan-style or beach bum, but i am not a soccer mom. My husband had to talk me out of a corrugated shack on an island in the Caribbean.

i'll be the one with purple hair. Say hi if you see me!

A

I'm just trying to do what feels right. Everyone I have met has been amazing and fwiw, i disagree.

again, i will let you know how happy we are in 6 months and a year. then you can say "i told you so". until then... don't.

I have no interest at all in petty things like saying "I told you so."

It's too bad that what "feels right" to you seems to include a lot of insults directed towards the people here who could help you, if you let them. And for what, because they tell you things about CR that you don't like or don't agree with, so you respond with personal insults? This will sound bad, but that approach sounds very "New York" to me-a person who lived next door in CT for 12 years.

Your slightly "misinformed" husband seems to be doing okay though. If only he wasn't averse to salsa dancing... Maybe he can learn to play the claves while everyone else is dancing, but be forewarned, those clave rhythms can be complex for someone who didn't grow up around them.

Hey Aggie

We all have a bias or two, and they travel with us wherever we go--some hurt us and some help us. But I can tell you that I react differently to things in CR than I do in NYC and different yet when I'm home in Michigan with my aging parents. Anyone that tries a one size fits all lifestyle misses out on way too much fun and new things. I would never suggest for a moment that you or anyone on this site are anything but interesting--just gotta keep an open mind when another person's bias start taking control--it's hard sometimes, but I have no interest whatsoever in changing you, but if we have a discussion and I adopt some of your views, and you some of mine, I'll betcha we are both better for it.

And why are we in a pissing contest at all--strong words, strong biases--mostly a waste of time. Much of what has been stated here are opinions, and opinions can and should be debated, but some of these things are facts--and facts are facts whether any of us like to hear them or not.

We all might consider helping to sort out the facts from the opinions and then we can all have a productive conversation. For example, it is presumptive that Aggie will have a tough time in CR--she sounds like a pretty smart cookie to me, and certainly a survivor if she thrived in NYC, and that has the makings of a very adaptive person and that's what it is all about living in CR or anyplace for that matter that isn't just like home.

It's a good place to be, Aggie--parts of it you will love and parts you will hate--pretty much like anyplace else you have lived or visited. You the adaptable survivor I think you are ?? Come on down, rent a place, it will be fun. You rigid and have a one size fits all approach to life ?? It could be tough.

Hope to see you--seriously, very seriously. I'll be in the San Jose area from late July through late August, so let me know if you want to squeeze in a coffee with me and my wife--we aren't shy and it could be fun--maybe your husband will be in CR as well by then ??

How much time have you spent in the machismo Latino culture of Central America? Sometimes women get treated very badly, and it won't matter how strong or smart you are, especially if they find out you're a gringa, or the woman is poor.

Is it okay with you that you can be stopped by the police at any time on a CR road, for no reason at all except that you are a gringo? And that if you are accused of a crime you can spend months, yes months in jail before charges are even brought against you?

It will be good for you to spend time learning about just how badly the Central American immigrants to CR get treated, and how too many of them have to live, just to survive, and I don't mean the cushy survival like you see in the US. You think you're going to a place with less racism and gingoism... I don't think so. It's just that in CR the words used and the attitudes are more matter-of-fact, you know, like it was for black people in the US 40 years ago, and still is in some areas in the US.

Or when you catch the guy who robbed you, see him arrested (very unlikely), and be back to rob you again in the next month, and btw, everybody in your little town or neighborhood knows who robbed you. Then you will be asking about your own civil rights.

You want to talk about changing society, talk to Ticos about the growing crime and drugs problem in their country, and how overwhelmed their "police" force is, and how many corrupt judges are still in place.

A substantial part of CR's income is based on the foreign perception of CR, and believe me, that perception is not becoming more positive. I think that is a fragile state to be in.

I'm not saying anything about whether or not you and your family will do well, or not well in CR, but from your comments in this forum, you appear to be naive, maybe a bit idealistic about what you will find in CR. That, in itself is not a bad thing, and it doesn't make you dumb or anything else, but you are attacking people here who help people on this forum every day of the week, and your "style" and maybe anger or frustration is going to be tested often in CR society.

As you get to know happy Ticos, look closely at what matters to them, how they live their lives, how they interact with people within their family and outside of their family, and how that all contributes to their expressed happiness.

And like "Arenal Grumbler" I haven't read a book this week, but I have learned a lot from being in CR about 25% the time these last two years, and from mi prometida (she's been living and working in the US, and a US Citizen for 10+ years) and her wonderful Tico family.

That is no different than the US was before the patriot act. It was more tolerable then. Maybe being out of the USA you are unaware of the incredible abuses of government. random detention is a new national past-time and everyone believes it is for their own safety.

happy ticos seem to care most about their families from my perception. i care most about family, too. i care about being a good human being, educating people and human rights. i'm a teacher, an artist and quite the activist. i want to be an astronaut. trust me when i say if something goes wrong, we will be gone. i am not the kind of person to stick around for abuse. or maybe i am, since i am still here. i don't need anyone or anything but my children. i could survive anywhere. My husband is pretty good too when he is not pretending. i am happy anywhere as long as i have my kids and a few books; something new to learn about and study.

Hey Aggie

We all have a bias or two, and they travel with us wherever we go--some hurt us and some help us. But I can tell you that I react differently to things in CR than I do in NYC and different yet when I'm home in Michigan with my aging parents. Anyone that tries a one size fits all lifestyle misses out on way too much fun and new things. I would never suggest for a moment that you or anyone on this site are anything but interesting--just gotta keep an open mind when another person's bias start taking control--it's hard sometimes, but I have no interest whatsoever in changing you, but if we have a discussion and I adopt some of your views, and you some of mine, I'll betcha we are both better for it.

And why are we in a pissing contest at all--strong words, strong biases--mostly a waste of time. Much of what has been stated here are opinions, and opinions can and should be debated, but some of these things are facts--and facts are facts whether any of us like to hear them or not.

We all might consider helping to sort out the facts from the opinions and then we can all have a productive conversation. For example, it is presumptive that Aggie will have a tough time in CR--she sounds like a pretty smart cookie to me, and certainly a survivor if she thrived in NYC, and that has the makings of a very adaptive person and that's what it is all about living in CR or anyplace for that matter that isn't just like home.

It's a good place to be, Aggie--parts of it you will love and parts you will hate--pretty much like anyplace else you have lived or visited. You the adaptable survivor I think you are ?? Come on down, rent a place, it will be fun. You rigid and have a one size fits all approach to life ?? It could be tough.

Hope to see you--seriously, very seriously. I'll be in the San Jose area from late July through late August, so let me know if you want to squeeze in a coffee with me and my wife--we aren't shy and it could be fun--maybe your husband will be in CR as well by then ??

Sure, thank you. When I get my prepaid ICE SIM card i'll send my # :) (i missed the booth at the airport before customs grrr) I do not expect it to be perfect. I expect it to be better, yes, or certainly we would not be dong this.

Sure, thank you. When I get my prepaid ICE SIM card i'll send my # :) (i missed the booth at the airport before customs grrr)

With your US Passport (as a "tourist", not living in CR) you can buy a cell phone from certain ICE offices for about $40, and re-charge it at good rates. This is much easier than going the typico Tico route of obtaining a cell phone for use in CR.

I have no interest at all in petty things like saying "I told you so."

It's too bad that what "feels right" to you seems to include a lot of insults directed towards the people here who could help you, if you let them. And for what, because they tell you things about CR that you don't like or don't agree with, so you respond with personal insults? This will sound bad, but that approach sounds very "New York" to me-a person who lived next door in CT for 12 years.

Your slightly "misinformed" husband seems to be doing okay though. If only he wasn't averse to salsa dancing... Maybe he can learn to play the claves while everyone else is dancing, but be forewarned, those clave rhythms can be complex for someone who didn't grow up around them.

My husband dragged me on here knowing I hate forums and knows perfectly well i am not dealing with a realtor and the price of a really nice house in escazu. I am actually quite personable and get along with everyone. forums are just not my thing.

i do not mean to throw insults- i am just defending myself. i was not the first to be mean-spirited. my choice was attacked, i was called naiive and forced to either withdraw or retort. if you think this is easy for me, you are wrong. this is incredibly difficult. I am a strong woman in central america alone with 2 young children. And i am not afraid. we literally have nothing to lose. i never want to go back to the USA regardless. IF CR doesn't fit, we will try something else. Maybe that restaurant in belize. no, i have no restaurant experience. This is the kind of person i am . a successful person who is not afraid. I have lived through too many bad things to let anyone stop me when i feel i am making a good, informed decision. a decision i will remind you which is to rent a house for one year.

if you want to be more hardcore not-tico than me, go ahead. I plan to enjoy my life. i will say that this forum is the most upset i have been in a long time.

my misinformed husband is a people-pleaser. i love him for it, after all i am the recipient a lot of the time (sometimes not- see i have a sense of humour too...). he wants all the reassurance he can get. me- i do what i want with no apologies. new york blood indeed.

i am not an "i told you so" person either. many of you are.

TTYS

Aggie

With your US Passport (as a "tourist", not living in CR) you can buy a cell phone from certain ICE offices for about $40, and re-charge it at good rates. This is much easier than going the typico Tico route of obtaining a cell phone for use in CR.

Now *that* is information I can use- thank you.

I read that 2 phone companies are coming in very soon and wonder if they will provide cell service or just land lines.

A

i'm a teacher, an artist and quite the activist. ...i don't need anyone or anything but my children. i could survive anywhere. My husband is pretty good too when he is not pretending. i am happy anywhere as long as i have my kids and a few books; something new to learn about and study.

I suggest a trip of 3+ days to Puerto Viejo on the Carribean side. It's a very different place from NYC,and I think it's fairly unique in CR. (Dominical has recently become a bit more like PV-Carribbean.) While it's not a place I could live for more than a week or so, from your quoted comments, you just might like it. And I don't think you'll find anyone there telling you what you can/should or can/should not do, because somebody there is probably already doing it and probably nobody else cares much. It's very much a "live and let live" kind of place, with many of the "pluses and minuses" that come with that.

You might want to contact "Sonrisa" on this forum, because I think she lives there now.

Now *that* is information I can use- thank you.

I read that 2 phone companies are coming in very soon and wonder if they will provide cell service or just land lines.

A

I think it will be cell phone companies only. Others here know better-I don't pay attention to land line issues. Land lines are very frustrating, well, not a lot less frustrating than the cell service at times in some areas. There are many Tico jokes about the guys who install land lines for ICE. Basically, forget about it unless you have a modern apartment. Better to go the cell route unless the place already has the land line installed.