House Appraisor

Thanks.

This actually is a cash purchase a friend is making on a small Tico house. He is trying to find the "fair market value" (if such a thing exists). So he needs an independent appraiser to help him "try" to get that price.

When we got our original mortgage through HSBC, and when we refinanced it, again through HSBC, they sent their own appraiser out to evaluate the property. If you're seeking an appraisal for mortgage purposes, the bank should be making arrangements that are suitable to it. If this is in order to offer your house for sale, maybe someone at the bank can give you some guidance.

We had a great deal of equity in our property when we applied for both our mortgages. It was a good thing because the bank's appraisals fell way, way short of what we had or were going to invest.

Edited by Art Fern

Okay, I'll bite . . . What does a home inspector on the Texas coast have to do with obtaining a meaningful appraisal of the value of a home in Costa Rica.

has nothing to do with getting an appraisal in costa rica, it was a question of whether an inspector is ever needed in costa rica?

I used a home inspector. He is an American that builds houses and offers an inspection service. Did a great job for me, but he didn't come cheap.

has nothing to do with getting an appraisal in costa rica, it was a question of whether an inspector is ever needed in costa rica?

• 7 months later...

Here in Costa Rica, members of CFIA (the Costa Rican Association of Engineers and Architects), it is the registered civil engineers and architects, we are qualified to appraise properties, and we are legally allowed and recognized for that purpose.

Some of them have more experience than other. In my personal case, I used to do appraisals for banks and other institutions (Banco Popular and INS) for 10 years and then I have been doing that job regularly as part of my services,

Ask a professional in these fields (civil engineering and architecture), one you trust, about that kind of work.

Suerte con todo.