Sign in to follow this  

They always try to tell us banditos (Ladrones) are going to get us. Dont get it, we have lived her four years and the only banditos we know are some EX workers. dont leave the chairs out, dont leave the waterhoses out,. etc... i said NO more bandito talk. PLEASE!! :) have yall ever experienced this.!! Give me some peace of mind and say it aint so all over CR.

We here that all the time, both where we are now and where we used to live.

Mind you, one day someone did take my husbands boots with the expensive insoles in them. We didn't count that in the amount of times robbed, though.

We here that all the time, both where we are now and where we used to live.

Mind you, one day someone did take my husbands boots with the expensive insoles in them. We didn't count that in the amount of times robbed, though.

Your comment begs the question... How many times have you been robbed?

Teri

We have been robbed three times... not including the boots.

Where we used to live, the thieves got in during the day, and took camera equipment and box for the TV. This time, the neighbors knew who it was, and the items were returned to the police station.

In this same place, someone got in and stole small items, including food.

Third time was a disaster when 3 of our dogs were poisoned during the robbery. We were asleep at the time, and lot's of my husbands tools were taken.

The fourth attempt, we were nearby but had turned on the alarm we had now installed and off it went, as the thief climbed through the window. My husband and all the other local guys who were also at at the anniversary party at our workers house, chased him, through the fields.....

Our workers house was robbed once.

Now, there are 12 dogs on the farm....and everyone knows it! And it is also known that there are guns on the property.

We have been robbed three times... not including the boots.

Where we used to live, the thieves got in during the day, and took camera equipment and box for the TV. This time, the neighbors knew who it was, and the items were returned to the police station.

In this same place, someone got in and stole small items, including food.

Third time was a disaster when 3 of our dogs were poisoned during the robbery. We were asleep at the time, and lot's of my husbands tools were taken.

The fourth attempt, we were nearby but had turned on the alarm we had now installed and off it went, as the thief climbed through the window. My husband and all the other local guys who were also at at the anniversary party at our workers house, chased him, through the fields.....

Our workers house was robbed once.

Now, there are 12 dogs on the farm....and everyone knows it! And it is also known that there are guns on the property.

What a sad tale. It certainly is proof of your tenacity :) Some would have turned tail and headed back 'home.' I've heard many times on this forum to expect it -- you will be robbed at some point. (We had a bag with my jewelry and important paperwork stolen three days after arriving in CR last year.)

The topic of this thread brings to mind an 'oft heard saying: Just because you're paranoid, does not mean they're NOT out to get you. Maybe the locals are paranoid. Maybe they have history.

Teri

Thanks all of you. I feel better LOL. Hey i have had items disapppear and reappear also. Thats always interesting. Houston is way MORE dangerous by any means. We see it like this. If we cant live with out it, think about even having it.

Just to let you know. we had a neighbors son,here in Costa Rica, that everyone knows, who was drug addict. cutting screen windows and stealing all kinds of electronics and trading for drugs. after a few reports written.April 2011 (ours being ONE of many (camera and mp3 of one of our guest, broke in (cut screen) broad daylight)then the guy stole a local taxi and tried to sell it to a policeman. The young man was just sentenced to 15 years in prison for all his charges. very sad. But i feel justice has been served. His mom is a very sweet lady and she is our neighbor.

as far as the post i was looking to see if its common and i was trying to put a humorous spin on it. Funny haha!! If we dont. we would move also. we have three NOISY dogs and a Vicious Jungle Cat LOL Rowl.....

Pura vida!! GOd bless you all. :) Life in Costa Rica. we Count it all joy.... :)

Edited by luv2fish

I am confused by the topic. Are you asking if others - besides yourself - have encountered what appears to be a strain of paranoia in Ticos? I do not think it is paranoia that would cause them to warn us of theft or burglary. I would think it is more simply a fact of life about which they might feel we should be aware. I would characterize the Tico attitude as being along the lines of "if it ain't out of sight, tied down, locked up, or otherwise secured, then the owner must not really, really want it, so if I (any given Tico) want it, all I gotta do is grab it - whatever it is."

That's not paranoia. It's more along the lines of simply possessing low or no moral sense of right and wrong.

John,

We seem to be in close agreement on this. We gringos are already seen by many third- or developing-worlders as inordinately rich: Various ticos whom I have asked on random occasions have told me that they truly believe that all of us estadounidenses are millionaires, to a one, sin duda!. I suppose there is actually some basis in truth for that: At the current rate of exchange (around 500:1) ti only takes US$2000 to equal one million colones, and a great number of gringos have $2000 bucks to their name, while a lesser number of ticos are ever likely to have that kind of money at hand. So the myth persists, for that and various other reasons.

Taking that into consideration there seems to be an attitude of 'if I take something from a gringo, s/he can easily afford to replace it'. Another reason for such an attitude towards gringos that has been suggested may be our habit of buying multiples of things, like a dozen rolls of toilet paper or other household items as a way to save a trip to the store and also on gasoline, as well. Ticos seem to just buy enough for the week and not buy extra due to their comparatively limited income and they prolly don't even consider our attempts to save on gas because so many of them walk to where they are going or use public transportation.

Or maybe in some cases they just view us as greedy or hoarders, but the attitude could be that since they see that we've got two (or three, etc.) of something, then 'if I take one they'll still have one left'.

There likely isn't one single, simple reason behind ticos' attitude toward gringos, but over the years I have heard the above suggestions for why on more than one occasion and from unrelated sources.

So John, like you I cannot believe that there is some broad streak of paranoia that runs through the ticos. I just think they are aware of that aspect of their culture and want to alert us to it. They've lived with it all their lives and so are accustomed to it and take appropriate steps to protect themselves from it as much as possible. (And if we want to live here, so should we.)

¡Poca Paranoia!

Paul M.

==

I've also come to the conclusion that many Costa Ricans take the position that if something isn't too dear to someone else, they might as well benefit from it. On at least a couple of occasions, we've paid in full for some item or job that wasn't quite finished. And the work never was finished, or the item was never delivered in full. That may reflect an attitude on my part that if I'm ready to part with the money and I'm not holding the provider's feet to the fire for the final delivery, it's not important to me. It's a subtle message but maybe one that I (we) project.

Likewise, if I leave some tool lying around where anyone could pick it up (or fail to lock something up), maybe I'm sending a message that it's not too important to me. And if it's not important to me, as any "abandoned" item might not be, then some passerby (Costa Rican or other) might avail him- or herself of it and not think any more about it.

And if someone quotes me a price and I don't try to bargain it down, maybe I'm signaling that I really don't care about the money. Well, if I don't and the other guy does, he could reasonably come to the conclusion that it might as well be in his pocket as mine.

Or maybe not . . .

Actually, very good points, David, and quite logical -to a point.

It's a good idea to learn to stay on top of things - putting your stuff away, etc., and just getting into the habit of always doing so.

That having been said I suspect thee are more then several of us here on the Forums who have positive stories to tell about accidentally leaving a wallet or keys, or some other personal item behind in a taxi or a restaurant only to have the taxi come back or the server come running out to give you your item back.

I forgot my huge collapsible umbrella in a taxi recently when I went with friends to a restaurant in Alajuela. About fifteen minutes later the taxista showed back up and came to our table way in the back dining area of the restaurant to return my umbrella to me. Very nice of him -and I wound up needing it when we left because the bottom fell out about the time we were going!

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

On a related note, I chuckle every time a Tico warns me that 'you can't trust anyone in Costa Rica' and then promptly gives me his/her phone number and tells me to call if they can help us with anything :)

Teri