• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
salish sea

pets flying comfortably to CR

salish sea    0

I'm posting this as a new topic because it's way off the topic of "new law for exporting pets" in the Moving to CR forum, where I initially asked the questions.

To any of you who have brought your cat/s into CR in the passenger compartment: Have your cats flown before? Since sedatives are not recommended, what did you give your cats to keep them calm? We fly to Halifax in a couple of weeks (no issue about temps, but it is the last day that Air Canada will allow our dog to be in baggage), and will be flying to CR from FL in Feb.

There may also be issues with our wonderful dog during the flight (not so wonderful during air or long-distance ferry travel). When my spouse got to customs after taking a Victoria Clipper ferry to Canada, the customs agent said, "Oh, you're the one with THE Dog," who evidently barked the entire 3 hour trip. Other than not taking them, which isn't an option, any suggestions?

Although I realize that every animal is different, I'd very much appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thank you

Gayle

salish sea    0

In talking to my veterinarians over the years, sedatives are not recommended, in part because it's hard to know how a sedated pet will behave at 30,000 feet. "Over-sedation" can be a problem. In our own case, we are absolutely not considering sedatives, but would be interested in herbal or other OTC items that have helped others' pets during air travel.

Our pet supply store staffer recommended something called, "Happy Traveler," containing tryptophan, which can be used to help calm both dogs and cats. A friend who volunteers at a cat shelter said that another remedy called "Composure" works for some of the shelter's more aggressive or anxious cats.

Anyone have experience with either of these or other remedies?

Lunja    0

The more time you have to get your pet acquainted with the travel carrier the better. Let them sleep in it, eat in it, come and go, be put in there for periods of time. Desensitize them to the experience. It all depends upon your pet. In my personal experience, I have shipped dogs and cats of various ages and sizes (in addition to zoo animals in my pre-Costa Rica life) and not one suffered any ill effect. But it depends upon the animal. I do think they take on the anxiety of the owner if the owner is showing such.

We brought our 2 cats here on board with us. Our vet armed us with sedatives, but insisted that we try them before going and use a very low dose. We did that and determined that they handled it well. It turned out that we did not need to use the meds. en route. They were perfectly quiet except on take off and landing and "complained" for only a short time. We made a point of reaching in and petting them, etc. to keep them calm. When we arrived in CR no one even looked at the cats. They looked at our paperwork from the Dept. of Agriculture CA and stamped them and sent us on our way. They did require rabies no longer than 1 year past and no sooner than 30 days.

Previously we transported cats from WI to CA in cargo and they were sedated. They made it fine, but were still very groggy on arrival.

Marcia

salish sea    0

Cindy (& Jason) and Marcia,

Thank you so much. This is exactly the kind of info I need! I've been trying to get our dog accustomed to the crate, which she initially shied away from (remembering the previous trip on the Victoria Clipper), but now goes in willingly. I haven't tried as hard with our cat. Little steps, and I keep telling myself and them that it will all work out fine.

with kind regards,

Gayle

Just as important as how well your pet will travel, is having the correct paperwork. Marcia mentioned it, but be sure to have the form with correct stamps required by Costa Rica. If you do, you will sail through. For us it was a USDA form.

Tom

Johnhw2    0

Just as important as how well your pet will travel, is having the correct paperwork. Marcia mentioned it, but be sure to have the form with correct stamps required by Costa Rica. If you do, you will sail through. For us it was a USDA form.

Tom

My vet recommended giving my dog a bit of turkey to eat before flying. The ingredients that make us sleepy as humans help them get sleepy and enjoy the trip sleeping soundly.

luv2fish    0

have traveled for four years with IN cabin pets. Always has been very good. NO sedatives. Just fet them up early, eat early, and take pee pad for them to peee in family bathroom at airport before we board the plane. One chihuahua and one cat. Both under 10 pounds each.. Thats Continentals rules for under the seat pets. The new cat did well these last two trips. Put her kennel in our thruck while in USA and took a lengthy road trip to get her ready for a days travel from Houston to CR. All positive experiences, prob 20 trips

we leave home at 615 am. flight 910Am arrive CR 1250 and to our house by 2pm. so thats how long they are in kennels. One time chihuahua peed in kennel..