• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Sign in to follow this  
whitecat

Middle Aged Costa Rican Women

whitecat    0

I am moving to CR soon near San Jose and would like to have a social life centering around regular social activities which include CR single women. I am fluent in Spanish and wonder where the middle aged Costa Rican women socialize. Thanks for the comments.

!Mark!    0

Take my landlady............Please!

She is 52 y/o, no hijos, never married, lives with mom and is wound pretty tight for a tica.

I think that she could use a man in her life! ;)

newman    0

Take my landlady............Please!

She is 52 y/o, no hijos, never married, lives with mom and is wound pretty tight for a tica.

I think that she could use a man in her life! ;)

Here's the deal on women in Costa Rica - they want to be the boss and run your life to an EXCESSIVE degree!! This applies whether they are very young, or older!! Don't even let them, for one minute think that they are the boss!! From the very begining you set the limits - I have to tell my lady constantly that "Este es el negocio de hombres, no de mujeres". Lots of times she gets up in the morning, acting like a wounded buffalo - I don't put up with it - I tell her that she IS acting like a wounded buffalo and to knock it off!! The thing is, my limits are always being tested - so you can't let your guard down. One good example is a few years back, Ana got some gravel to put in the driveway - so I'm out shoveling the gravel in the drive, and to my absolute shock, the young (high school age) girl that worked for Ana sticks her heaad out the door, to tell me where to put the gravel - (I'm not kiddding). I simply and firmly told her to get back in the kitchen where she belonged - but her interference continued in other matters in the ensuing days and weeks. Everytime she tried her bull, it was met by my stone wall determination that I was not about to be intimidated. I always thought that this was a macho society - it definitly is not!! One other bit of advice - try using your Spanish every where you go - learn a subject - for me I started with the legends of Costa Rica - El Cadejos, La Segua, Llorona, Carreta sin Bueyes. Use that to fire up a conversation. Go to the bus station/mercado/ - just sidle up and sit down to a lady and start talking - just tell her (or them) that you need to practice your Spanish - I'm old, fat, but I've had several ladies (Even some young) ones give me their telephone number! Hope you enjoy your stay in Costa Rica

whitecat    0

Here's the deal on women in Costa Rica - they want to be the boss and run your life to an EXCESSIVE degree!! This applies whether they are very young, or older!! Don't even let them, for one minute think that they are the boss!! From the very begining you set the limits - I have to tell my lady constantly that "Este es el negocio de hombres, no de mujeres". Lots of times she gets up in the morning, acting like a wounded buffalo - I don't put up with it - I tell her that she IS acting like a wounded buffalo and to knock it off!! The thing is, my limits are always being tested - so you can't let your guard down. One good example is a few years back, Ana got some gravel to put in the driveway - so I'm out shoveling the gravel in the drive, and to my absolute shock, the young (high school age) girl that worked for Ana sticks her heaad out the door, to tell me where to put the gravel - (I'm not kiddding). I simply and firmly told her to get back in the kitchen where she belonged - but her interference continued in other matters in the ensuing days and weeks. Everytime she tried her bull, it was met by my stone wall determination that I was not about to be intimidated. I always thought that this was a macho society - it definitly is not!! One other bit of advice - try using your Spanish every where you go - learn a subject - for me I started with the legends of Costa Rica - El Cadejos, La Segua, Llorona, Carreta sin Bueyes. Use that to fire up a conversation. Go to the bus station/mercado/ - just sidle up and sit down to a lady and start talking - just tell her (or them) that you need to practice your Spanish - I'm old, fat, but I've had several ladies (Even some young) ones give me their telephone number! Hope you enjoy your stay in Costa Rica

That sounds like good advice. Thanks.

tibas9    0

I am moving to CR soon near San Jose and would like to have a social life centering around regular social activities which include CR single women. I am fluent in Spanish and wonder where the middle aged Costa Rican women socialize. Thanks for the comments.

--If you don´t know how to dance to the latin beat take some dance lessons at one of the local Dance Studios. At some of the plush hotels(Iruzu, Palacio, etc.) in the San Jose area they have Saturday Night Dances for Singles, Divorced, and widowers in which you meet some very classy and interesting people. I found it somewhat surprising that you have been a member of this Forum since May, 2003 and no one mentioned this :unsure:

Rick

Edited by tibas9

ciclista    0

Here's the deal on women in Costa Rica - they want to be the boss and run your life to an EXCESSIVE degree!! ...I always thought that this was a macho society - it definitly is not!! ...

I'm old, fat, but I've had several ladies (Even some young) ones give me their telephone number!

It is a macho society, and I think the women that are trying to be the boss are used to being more or less controlled by the machos, and it's their way of trying to have more control of their life. Or they can give you that nice smile and sweet voice and you'll probably do what they want you to do...

Old, fat... and a gringo? You must know by now that Ticas look at every gringo as possibly having much more money available than they're likely to find from a Tico. And maybe the gringo won't have so much of the (problematic) machismo. Those things make you appear to be a (possibly) good "catch". I guess you're workin' whatchagot, and so are they!

eleanorcr    0

I can identify with the Tica described by Newman! I have a Tica friend who has never driven in her life but wants to tell me how to drive. The funniest thing she does is insist that I turn down a one-way street the wrong way. "Aqui, aqui!" she shouts and I just laugh. It's the way you would go if you were walking but driving in one of those towns with lots of one-way streets is a whole other thing.

Some Costa Ricans think that gringos are just stupid and don't know how to do things "properly." Of course, this is sometimes the case! Costa Ricans learn many skills very early that many NorthAmericans have lost.

However - that "bossy" Tica is the one you want with you if you ever have to go to the hospital! She will make it happen, believe me.

Epicatt2    0

I can identify with the Tica described by Newman! I have a Tica friend who has never driven in her life but wants to tell me how to drive. The funniest thing she does is insist that I turn down a one-way street the wrong way. "Aqui, aqui!" she shouts and I just laugh. It's the way you would go if you were walking but driving in one of those towns with lots of one-way streets is a whole other thing.

Some Costa Ricans think that gringos are just stupid and don't know how to do things "properly." Of course, this is sometimes the case! Costa Ricans learn many skills very early that many NorthAmericans have lost.

However - that "bossy" Tica is the one you want with you if you ever have to go to the hospital! She will make it happen, believe me.

Eleanor,

Your post is most illuminating. We ought to pay attention to relearning some of those (gringo) lost skills that Ticos yet preserve.

And I especially like your last line!

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

eleanorcr    0

Good one, CRF!

To be perfectly clear ( I think ) -- because of her "bossy and pushy" nature, a bossy Tica can make things happen for you if you end up having to go to the ER for something. These days, we all need an "advocate" in an ER or in a hospital bed no matter where you live and the "bossy" Tica is perfect for this. She knows how to get things done.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this