Sign in to follow this  
lavip

definition of oceanview

Real story, seriously.

A Costa Rican development-company (the engineers, a company that does the topography, submits the D1-permits, makes the plans, lets the tractors fix the roads, etc etc.) was working for the company i was active in.

We were about the buy or not to buy around 40 hectare of land close to Samara. The engineer (as i call here the owner of this development-company, lets call him Mario to make it easy) managed the initial survey of the land and the initial lotification design. Mario came back with a nice seggregation-plan (what we always called -mistakenly- the masterplan ) of something like 70 lots, and the great thing was: 35 (5000m2) lots had oceanview, ---according to Mario--.

Pura Vida. Kind of OK basis for a development-project. The land was bought. Well.... the first payment was done and contracts were signed. But anyhow we were bound to obligations, legally.

Some weeks later, after some walking on the land..hmmm. the little map in the hand..huh? we should see the ocean now or not..huh...yeah we should..but..but...huh?.

short version: instead of 40, only 9 lots have oceanview WHEN STANDING ON THE LOT.

So....back to Mario: In a meeting he says: Yeah yeah I can explain...

After some ununderstandable sentences he says: If you build a home on a lot and can see from the first floor the ocean, the lot has oceanview.

Hahaha. Welcome to Costa Rica.

You need an engineer or development-company to develop your project? pm me for the name of this company? Mario will be happy to help you.

So exactly who was "Mario" working for? The property developer or the property vendor? Or maybe both? :ph34r:

Remember what Ronald Regan said of the Russians - "Trust but verify".

Yeah, "oceanview" can be something where if you build a house and go up on the roof and turn and look just so.... you can get a small glimmer of water. Of course, that is after you persuade your neighbor to cut some trees! :lol:

Have you ever watched 'Fawlty Towers', an English TV show? :lol:

But in reality, the 'person in charge', if not you, should have walked the property for yourself.

I can't resist : " Amen " to that ! You got that sooo right. I've never watched " Fawlty Towers " but I've got some swampland in Florida I could sell to anyone who thinks it's wise to buy property sight unseen. That's a very old and popular saying in the states describing all the people who fell for unsavory real estate deals and false advertising.

Yeah, "oceanview" can be something where if you build a house and go up on the roof and turn and look just so.... you can get a small glimmer of water. Of course, that is after you persuade your neighbor to cut some trees! :lol:

I saw a website that mentioned ocean view lots... that were located near San Ramon!

We stayed a night at a place in Playa Grande that claimed "ocean view". If you went upstairs to their bar area, at one end of the bar looking through some trees you could see the ocean, which btw, was only 200m away.

At least in US hotels this would be referred to as "partial ocean view".

Buying land without inspecting it first and having it surveyed by a competent and trustworthy individual... not good.

I saw a website that mentioned ocean view lots... that were located near San Ramon!

Ciclista,

I was in San Ramón last Thursday and visited some friends whose property has a view of the Golfo de Nicoya.

That is, when the nebiina/fog they nave much of the time lifts and allows the view, but which is then clearly visible, and definitely an ocean view.

The water is definitely not a mere 15 or 20 minutes away, though...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

I suppose my neighbor, a dairy farmer with 5 cows and no glass in the windows of his house, has a "water view." On a very clear day, if you stand at the highest point of his farm, you can see Lake Nicaragua in the far distance. Last time we had a little porch chat, he was figuring his 3-hectare property was worth about 30 million colones. Now, if a glib developer got hold of it..........

Ciclista,

I was in San Ramón last Thursday and visited some friends whose property has a view of the Golfo de Nicoya.

That is, when the nebiina/fog they nave much of the time lifts and allows the view, but which is then clearly visible, and definitely an ocean view.

The water is definitely not a mere 15 or 20 minutes away, though...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

I have also seen the ocean view from that area. I don't think it's what people typically think of when they hear "ocean view", but in CR, anything goes. I hear there's an ocean view from Poas or Irazu.

I have also seen the ocean view from that area. I don't think it's what people typically think of when they hear "ocean view", but in CR, anything goes. I hear there's an ocean view from Poas or Irazu.

I was up near San José de La Montaña a few weeks ago and you could see the Golfo de Nicoya from there, too. And that was EAST of Alajuela Town!

Costa Rica is such a small country, smaller than we generally perceive. So, when we get up high enough and see the water from varied points in the country, it is often a surprise to discover how may locations there are where one can actually see the ocean!

Paul M.

==

it is often a surprise to discover how may locations there are where one can actually see the ocean!

Paul M.

==

My impression is that Ticos are never far from the ocean, at least in their thoughts.