I really like bread. I feel you would agree this is a possibility if I told you my weight. I have noticed that my bread no longer grows mold on it. I kept some hamburger buns on the counter for three weeks, still no mold. I wonder what has been added to my bread that extends the shelf life and prevents mold. I hope you think about it before you eat your next roll. Earth's Greatest Nation has come up with a plan to prevent what looks like bread from turning blue. Do not be alarmed. If there was cause for concern the FDA would have alerted us after their vacations paid for by the people that are producing this new bread look alike. As a Great American once said " just because I am paranoid it do not mean they are not out to get me" or feed me some genetically altered bread look alike. I still have the bread and will be in country in June if anyone would like to have it, no signs of decay.

Ed

If you bring that bread into Costa Rica and it fails to grow mold here, we need to have it analyzed. My bread here lasts about four days max.

The clever thing is that mold may have been invented (by the baker, maybe?) as an excuse to get us to finish bread before it goes bad. (Or sometimes even before it gets cold!)

If the bread is really quite good, who should complain -except maybe your doctor when s/he weighs you in during an appointment?

Just pondering . . .

¡Pura Empanada!

Paul M.

==

A very funny gentleman, Jerry Clower I believe was his name once said during the Cold War If you go to the nicest restaurant in Russia and sit down at the most wonderful breakfast and are presented the most lovely sweet roll do not eat it if a roach does not come out of it. He then paused and said because he is still in there. Very difficulty to enjoy your sweet roll after that. I hope in the morning after all this contemplation I shall only have half dozen donuts, it is easy to tell when they are fresh, the light is on, " Hot Donuts Now". What terrible stress we endure when we pay attention. Is the cherry pie still available that would allow me to sleep and repenish my reserves to do battle in line for the fresh donuts. I always give the girl the change and explain that they are not for me. How amazing all the fat people in line buying donuts for others.

Ed

Can't recall the last time I saw store-bought bread get moldy--of course I buy most of my bread in NJ from a little Italian bakery that throws out every day what they don't sell--well, they don't throw it away--a couple of church groups pick it up every night to give to the needy. I can guarantee you that if I didn't polish off that bread in just a few days, it would have the best green-gray mold you have ever seen.

I bake bread often and because it's two loaves for two people, the bread doesn't get eaten for up to 5-7 days. These containers do a great job of extending freshness for up to an additional week compared to leaving it in the plastic bag.

I have found similar containers here in CR. The brand is "Air Tight" and they really are! They have the same seal but they have four little snaps that keeps the lid on very tight. Of course, if your bread is very moist, it might grow its own mold in its own little airtight environment. I find they work really well for things like coffee, powdered milk or coffee creamer, sugar and even salt.

I think Bimbo bread doesn't mold because it contains no real food. I buy ciabatta at AutoMercado (and now I found it at WalMart), and I can get a real cultural event going in two days. It's really good bread. Also, AutoMercado sells a pre-packaged bread that is really good. The brand is Ruiseñor. They have a "Pan con Nuezes" that is delicious.

Not to change the subject really, but I went to Hipermas Monday, where they are readying for the big transition to WalMart this Friday. They had the most beautiful loaves of sweet bread I have seen since I was in Paris! Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to have an occasion so I can buy/try one. They had a larger variety of fresh-baked breads and pastries, and they all looked a lot better than typical Tico stuff. I think they must have imported the recipes with the WalMart signs. None of it was covered or enclosed, of course, so I would check for freshness before buying anything.

I hungered for decent bread for so long here (and still do in Atenas) that I was delighted to find these new-to-me products.

It looks like WalMart has sent in a team of its Mexican executives to run things in CR. If you have never been in a WalMart in Mexico, you don't know what you are missing. I like HiperMas very much, but really look forward to having Mexican management from WalMart with their feet on the ground here.

All I can say is that it must be preservatives in your bread if its not molding. Our bread, which we bake once a week, gets mold in just a few days and has to be kept in the 'fridge.

As for Hipermas, now officially Walmart, the last time we were there we bought some of the Pan Rustica loaves, and they were great, but they also kept for days without getting mold. Eventually they did pick up some, but we polished them off pretty quick anyway.

Personally, we try to avoid the stuff full of preservatives.

Dana