Anyone out there interested in starting an English language book club?

Hi Sid,

Would you please elaborate for our Forums members a bit more about what exactly you intend by an' English language book club'?

Is it supposed to be a book discussion group or something other than that, such as a fee-based method of importing english-language books to CR?

It would be useful to know what you are wanting to start up.

Kindly advise...

Regards,

Paul M.

==

OK, let me explain what a book club is. It is a group of people who get together once a month to discuss a book, previously chosen to read. Everyone reads the same book and discuss what they liked or disliked about the book. How the book is chosen to read varies with each club. Sometimes authors are invited to discuss their book. The meeting place may be fixed or change each month. Frequently, food is involved. If you are meeting at a restaurant then everyone orders food there. If you are meeting at someone’s home or some conference room, then everyone brings something for everyone to eat; i.e., potluck. It is a social thing for people that like to read books.

Sid

Thanks for that, Sid.

It clarifies nicely for our Forums members what you are proposing.

Now, where in Costa Rica do you feel might be a good place for such a club to start up?

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Thanks for that, Sid.

It clarifies nicely for our Forums members what you are proposing.

Now, where in Costa Rica do you feel might be a good place for such a club to start up?

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Your house? My house? The next guy's apt?

Sid

Hi Sid and Paul,

Depending on the book and the location, when we move to CR (at least for a few months next Jan or Feb), put me on your list of contacts, please! Just don't choose romance novels or shoot 'em ups ...

regards,

Gayle

Your house? My house? The next guy's apt?

Sid

Where exactly is your house? It could be a six-hour drive from others' houses. CR might be small, but it's big when it comes to driving from one place to another, especially with gas at almost $5 a gallon. Could you be more specific about where you are?

Seems like there also needs to be a plan for physically obtaining the books. The selection of English-language books in Costa Rica is pretty limited, so if the club wants (say) a dozen copies of one book, they'll have to either order them and pay the shipping which won't be cheap on that much weight, or buy one and have a local copy store make eleven copies. An alternative would be to have Arden Brink of ShipCostaRica bring them in in one of her consolidated containerloads.

Of course, the other option would be to require everyone to have an electronic reader (a Kindle or iPad). That way, the members could download the book directly with no shipping cost or delay.

An electronic reader is an interesting suggestion. That might make us be the first 'electronic-reader-based Book Club around.

Apart from that, I have noticed that there are modest english-language sections in Universal and in Librería Lehmann, both in downtown San José. Though their selections are limited, both do tend to stock the more recent best-sellers. Of the two, my sense is that Lehmann has a slightly better selection.

HTH

Paul M.

==

True enough, Paul, but do either stock enough copies of whatever is to be read, and how can the club distribute them? That, in my opinion, is the beauty of the electronic readers.

You do not actually need an ipad or a Kindel. You can down loan the software for free to use on your existing computer. That is what I did. I read the WSJ every day from CR. But how many people would be interested in this? I figure a half a dozen or more would be needed at first. Do we have that many?

Sid

I just learned that there is a Book Club in Atenas that has been active for several years. You might want to ask at Kay's Gringo Postres for information, since Kay always seems to know at least something about everything that goes on in this area. Invaluable source!

I just learned that there is a Book Club in Atenas that has been active for several years. You might want to ask at Kay's Gringo Postres for information, since Kay always seems to know at least something about everything that goes on in this area. Invaluable source!

How would I get hold of Kay?

Sid

Pretty easy, Sid . . .

Google 'Kay's Gringo Postres, Atenas' and it should pop right up.

There is also a blog: http://kaysgringopostres.wordpress.com/

HTH

Paul M.

==

They are a bakery, a restaurant, and an English language library, but not a book club. Anyone interested in starting a book club?

Sid

They are a bakery, a restaurant, and an English language library, but not a book club. Anyone interested in starting a book club?

Sid,

We suggested that you contact them because it is a popular nexus for gringos.

It has a lending library so you might surmise that some of the patrons are readers. So Kay's may well a good place to contact gringos who may be avid readers.

Kay's also hosts a women's club group, a card-playing group, etc. Why not a book (reading) club there?

In any event, you will never know unless you ask.

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.

==