Trevor L

Paying Property Tax

eskasue we have some property in Desamparados and some in Canas. We pay both through the BCR. There is a page called PAGOS that you go to. Then within PAGOS you can choose to pay the realestate tax or your CCCSS monthly payments and a few other things.

You have to have an account with the bank in order to do this but we find it much easier to pay electronically than to run around town for a couple of hours going to the city offices.

You can set up a bank account here in CR and then do transfers from the U.S. These transfers cost about 55-75 dollars to do. Then once the money is here all you need to do is go to the computer once a month to effect the payment.

Anyway that is the way we do it.

Note that if you are a person paying your CCSS "voluntario" then you cannot use the Banco de Costa Rica but must pay it at the Banco Nacional. If you have a business or are an employee, you can pay it through Banco de Costa Rica.

Thanks, Jessica - I'm going to try that. When I first started paying "voluntario," you could only do it via Banco Nacional. I would be happy if I could do that from my Banco de Costa Rica account! Now..... if only I could pay my water through Banco de Costa Rica. (It's not AYA)

Jessica: I did try to pay through BCR and I have a couple of questions for you. (I would send a PM but that is not working at the moment.)

I signed into my account, selected CCSS in the "Pagos", went to the screen and then selected "asugerado voluntario" but then the next questions kind of stumped me. For ID, do you put "Foreigner"? and then what number do you put in the last slot.... your Cedula number or your CAJA number? I've tried it all ways and still got an error message. Maybe I'm just stupid?

Your post about paying water reminded me of "years gone by."

When I first arrived in this town, there was a small water office, operated by a Committee, with only cardboard account sheets. You could only pay your water from the first through the fifth of the month and you had to pay it in the office. They soon progressed to a computer system and upgraded that in time. I always paid my water 6 months at a time - it's a flat fee. Now, you can no longer pay it at the office and have to pay it online. (Or at one of the places that accepts payments.) However, you can only pay one month at a time. Sigh.

Funny thing - when I went to sign up for water, they asked me: Do you have cows? The flat fee is more if you "have cows." Of course, it's also more if you have a commercial establishment and there's a fee schedule for the various restaurants and hotels.

Water is still regulated by Committee here, but it has become much more sophisticated. At one time, AYA came to town and made a pitch to take over the water service and everyone said.... "Nuh-uh." So the Committee has to follow guidelines similar to AYA regarding safety of water supply, accounting practices, etc.

I am located in the United States and would like to pay the property taxes for a small lot I own in Municipalidad Tarrazu in Costa Rica. Since I do not have a bank account in a bank in Costa Rica, do you know of any way to pay the real property taxes from the US, such as by wire transfer from a US bank or paypal or credit card? Also, does anyone know how to open a bank account in a Costa Rican bank, without being physically present in Costa Rica?

Barbara L you can only open a bank account when you are here, in person. Even then, it has become more difficult .I can't offer any suggestions regarding paying your land taxes with the exception of requesting a friend or lawyer to perform this task.

If you have the bank account number of the Municipality, you could send a wire transfer. However, you would need to have some sort of receipt that shows you have paid the property tax for your property - something more than just the bank receipt.

Have you tried contacting the Municipality directly?

But yes, having someone in Costa Rica do this for you is probably the best way to approach it.

The Luxury Property Tax was in all the e'papers for 2012, rumors of huge fines, etc.

I see almost nothing this year.

Rumors that only 5% really paid the tax, mostly expats, and very few Tico's paid it.

Rumors it would disappear and fade into the sunset.

Is anyone close to this topic? Updated links?

Thanks much, Dave and Jessica, Jaco