Trevor L

Paying Property Tax

I need to pay my property tax in Santa Cruz, Guanacaste for property near Tamarindo. Anyone hav a any tips or contacts for doing this? Thanks.

Not sure how to do it there. I live in Grecia and went to the Municipality in Grecia Centro with my planos and had no problem. I am sure it would be the same for you. Just ask anyone there, I am sure they will be able to tell you. By the way property taxes are due in Jan. You can pay every three months or the whole year. If you pay for the whole year you get a discount.

Edited by SCORP

Anyone can pay this for you. They just have to go to the Municipalidad building for your Canton. They need your PLANO # for your property and it's a simple procdure. I paid it myself.

Edited by jesselongworth

I hope he didn't charge you much. My lawyer wanted double the cost of tax.

That sounds like alot of money. Unless he had to do alot of work for you, he ripped you off, get another lawyer

There was a flier in this month's El Residente magazine from ARCR. They are now offering prepaid legal service for $120/year. If you can manage having your atty in SJ this could save you quite a bit.

Scanned copy attached...

ARCR Legal Pkg.pdf

My lawyer charges me about $250/year to do all the annual corporate stuff. Seems pretty high.

Hey Trevor,

Mine charges $150/year for the corporate services. I guess it depends on what you get for that. My yearly maintenance fee includes: filing of income tax declaration for an inactive corp., minimum yearly taxes (I don't know what that means), fee for having my attorney's office appointed as resident agent.

Seems like a lot of money for not much but actually I can get a headache that I'd pay $150 to get rid of and I think that trying to figure out how to do this myself would give me a headache every year so I suppose I'm happy to pay the fee for now. I've got bigger worries, like getting fluent with Spanish.

Regarding the payment of taxes, my attorney advised me to get a CR bank account so that I can pay them online. You say you are out of the country right now, but next time you are in CR this seems like a good enough reason, on its own, to get a CR account.

Does anyone know what kind of info I need to open an account in CR? Just my passport? I'm a US citizen, no residency status at all in CR. This is going to be interesting when I walk into the bank. "Necesito que abrir un... um... un... um... como se dice 'account'?

Does anyone know what kind of info I need to open an account in CR? Just my passport? I'm a US citizen, no residency status at all in CR. This is going to be interesting when I walk into the bank. "Necesito que abrir un... um... un... um... como se dice 'account'?

It depends upon the bank but most will require:

• Passport or cedula
  • utility bill (doesn't have to be in your name)
  • "source of funds" (tax return or letter from local accountant identifying source of funds)
  • letters of reference (BNCR required those a few years ago)

Opening an HSBC account recently they only required cedula, utility bill, and "source of funds" letter.

If you're an ARCR member, I understand that they help people open accounts at BNCR. They can supply a copy of their utility bill. I don't know if they have requirements for your "source of funds". Check with Ryan.

This is some what 'off topic' but a year or two ago there were rumblings about increasing the taxes on expensive homes.

I have looked through the forum and could not find any information.

Does anyone know if that increase in the tax rate for the rich has bee put in play?

Thank you.

I am outside CR and need to pay Santa Ana property tax.....I entered my cedula and found the amount due but thought I could pay this via VISA or local Credit Card from my CITI bank account but, do not see that ability offered. Anyone have other suggestions....do you have to be in CR to set up SINPE for payment ? tks