salish sea

Any Democratic or liberal political groups in CR?

Earlier today I was browsing the Real Estate forum and went to something on page 2 about "a good read," which wound up with several regular posters going back and forth about Fox News, and someone posting a link to a very funny segment on an old "Daily Show," about inflated numbers at a Tea Party rally in DC.

The website for "Democrats Abroad" doesn't seem to have been updated in close to 2 years, and I wonder if there are any groups in CR that get together either regularly or at least occasionally to talk about US politics. Even though I'm here and not in CR, it would be fun to get to have some email contacts with others. Anyone???

Earlier today I was browsing the Real Estate forum and went to something on page 2 about "a good read," which wound up with several regular posters going back and forth about Fox News, and someone posting a link to a very funny segment on an old "Daily Show," about inflated numbers at a Tea Party rally in DC.

The website for "Democrats Abroad" doesn't seem to have been updated in close to 2 years, and I wonder if there are any groups in CR that get together either regularly or at least occasionally to talk about US politics. Even though I'm here and not in CR, it would be fun to get to have some email contacts with others. Anyone???

Hi Salish,

Several groups that announced their existence on the Forums several years ago may no longer be active. Young Expats Abroad is one of those that has disbanded. The Democrats group may be active elsewhere -or seasonally- but when posts on the Forums are that old it is more likely that they've lost interest in posting here.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Seems like I have seen recent announcements from Democrats Abroad, maybe around election time. Don't they have a listing in Tico Times? Aren't there phone numbers you can call for information? If I ever remember to buy the Tico Times I will check.

Seems like I have seen recent announcements from Democrats Abroad, maybe around election time. Don't they have a listing in Tico Times? Aren't there phone numbers you can call for information? If I ever remember to buy the Tico Times I will check.

I happen to have a recent edition of the TT, and there is no listing anymore. Perhaps the online edtion? (http://www.ticotimes.net/)

Dana

The website for "Democrats Abroad" doesn't seem to have been updated in close to 2 years, and I wonder if there are any groups in CR that get together either regularly or at least occasionally to talk about US politics. Even though I'm here and not in CR, it would be fun to get to have some email contacts with others.

Salish,

Though I suspected that Democrats Abroad might be one of those which had become inactive or disbanded, a search thru the TicoTimes online edition, to which I subscribe, turned up this:

Tico Times (at ticotimes.net)

February 02, 2011

- - -

Event Calendar

Democrats Abroad of Costa Rica: Nelleke Bruyn, 2279-3553, <cr.democratsabroad@yahoo.com>.

source: http://www.ticotimes.net/Weekend/Events-Calendar/Costa-Rica-Clubs-and-Organizations-Classes-Religious-Services_Wednesday-February-02-2011/

This was the most recent entry in the TT, but there were other entries, articles actually, about them in 2009 and several in 2010.

So there above you have a potential contact name, phone number, and email address.

Hope they bear fruit for you.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Paul, Shea, and Dana, Thank you for the info. I'll try that email address Paul provided and see what happens. For a political junkie like me, not being able to talk politics (a lot) will likely be the hardest thing to give up in moving to CR. with kind regards, Gayle

Paul, Shea, and Dana, Thank you for the info. I'll try that email address Paul provided and see what happens. For a political junkie like me, not being able to talk politics (a lot) will likely be the hardest thing to give up in moving to CR. with kind regards,

Gayle,

You should easily be able to find people who enjoy discussing politics (and lots more that that) with you. Not only expats, but Ticos, too, will be glad to engage you in discussion. Ticos love to tertuliar! It is actually sort of a national pastime. It is one thing that expats who don't yet speak spanish well may be missing out on. (BTW, my remark there is not intended at any sort of put-down; it is merely an observation.)

So you will, with just a minimum of effort be able to find folks to discuss with. And if you can do so with Ticos (and there are Ticos who speak english) then you will be able to gain insights and new perspectives that you might not been able to otherwise.

¡Pura Platicar!

Paul M.

==