Lookout

Squatter question

As most know if a national moves onto and lives on a property he can claim it and YOU LOSE! I have a suppose question, if a farmer starts using your land in your absence can he do the same?

Here is the just of it! It is a piece of farm land that has been farmed for many years, hence no improvements. One of the family let the cat out of the bag, I have a hunch it is a friend of one of the family members, I am going down in about two weeks and will see for myself and see what I can find out. Sure would hate to have issues after paying taxes for about ten years, I want to meet with the person and get a clear understanding. I would not mind if it will not be an issue, also I should be getting a little rent for its usage.

Phil

Here is the just of it! It is a piece of farm land that has been farmed for many years, hence no improvements. One of the family let the cat out of the bag, I have a hunch it is a friend of one of the family members, I am going down in about two weeks and will see for myself and see what I can find out. Sure would hate to have issues after paying taxes for about ten years, I want to meet with the person and get a clear understanding. I would not mind if it will not be an issue, also I should be getting a little rent for its usage.

Hi Phil,

You may want to be aware that in addition to the info given you above in this thread the longer that squatters are on your property, the more complicated it is to get shed of them. After a certain duration of time with them living on it they essentially 'own' your property and you will essentially wind up paying for ypur porperty to get them off of it.

The first thing you need to do is see if you can find out how long these squatters have been squatting on your property.

The next thing you should do is find an attorney to represent you who is well-versed in squatting problems.

Best of luck with this. I hope you prevail. Please do keep us posted on how things proceed.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Not that I'm saying to do this, but...

One fellow I know bought a finca. The former owner continued to keep his pigs running around on the land - against the agreement. After several attempts to get the farmer to remove the animals, the new owner had a housewarming barbecue - of handy hogs - and invited all the neighbors, including the pig farmer. Remaining pigs gone.

It may depend somewhat on just kind of "farming" is going on. Is he putting cows on the farm to use the pasture? Pigs (as in the previous example)? Is he making "improvements" such as cutting weeds? Or is he actually planting and harvesting stuff?

Phil

You should fly down there immediately. From what I've read it is more difficult to get a squatter off of your property the longer they have been there. I forget the magic number of days quoted in that book "The Legal Guide to Costa Rica", but it is not long. After a certain amount of time then it can take long and difficult legal action to get them off and there is no guarantee you will be successful.

I was friends with guys living in Pavones back in the 90's. They had what was basically a war with squatters and a few people got killed. Foreign landowners had to keep armed guards. I'd guess that such a crazy squatter issue as that isn't likely to occur again in CR but you never know. You need to nip this thing in the bud.

If it were me I'd assume the trespasser knows all about squatter's rights and that they are trying to steal the property. I'd approach them politely but firmly. Extremely firmly, and then I'd kick their butt off the property.

I don't know how it is in your area but where I'm about to buy there is a community of landowners who watch each other's back. When it comes to some issues the law is not around... it is a rural area and thieves are dealt with in the appropriate manner, etc. Hopefully you have a local community of concerned landowners who can help you out.

Report the trespasser to local law enforcement, assume that they aren't going to do anything about it, and go kick that squatter off your land in no uncertain terms. If you are not a scary dude then take some with you. Even if you are scary then take some backup. Having squatters is bad for all the landowners in the area.

Before you go with "scary dudes" and kick someone's butt, I would give some thought to your future there. Would you be ruining your chances of ever "fitting in" and forever be known as that obnoxious gringo? Also think about the woman who was killed not long ago in the Osa.

If you can find a solution without confrontation or making everyone angry in the area where your property is located, it would be a lot better in the long run.

Sorry if I came off obnoxiously. I know all about squatter violence. I knew the guys in Pavones in the early/mid 90's. There were a couple of deaths out there. Some of rural CR was the wild west back then... and I don't think that has totally gone away. I am not going to let anyone steal from me in CR without dealing with it myself, but that might not be a common approach.

i just found out, today, that my wife's aunt and her husband (ticos), who were "in good faith" helping us keep taps on our 'finca', failed to do so, and now, there are squatters in the property. I do not have all the details but , but the fact remains that I've worked my tail off to pay the property and have paid the taxes, etc, since 1997, only to see these unscrupulous people take advantage. I was planning on moving to CR next year and build on the property.

I will be going to CR in a couple of weeks and be looking for a "competent attorney" since, it seems, you're at the mercy of the costa rican judicial system.

Any advise and /or references on this matter is appreciated. I would like to hear how the situation on top of these thread was resolved (if it has). Hopefully the land owners' rights would have been respected!

i just found out, today, that my wife's aunt and her husband (ticos), who were "in good faith" helping us keep taps on our 'finca', failed to do so, and now, there are squatters in the property. I do not have all the details but , but the fact remains that I've worked my tail off to pay the property and have paid the taxes, etc, since 1997, only to see these unscrupulous people take advantage. I was planning on moving to CR next year and build on the property.

I will be going to CR in a couple of weeks and be looking for a "competent attorney" since, it seems, you're at the mercy of the costa rican judicial system.

Any advise and /or references on this matter is appreciated. I would like to hear how the situation on top of these thread was resolved (if it has). Hopefully the land owners' rights would have been respected!

Well Ozzie,

Time is of the essence to resolve this situation. The longer the squatters are on your property the more difficult it becomes to remove them and the more rights they acquire, up to the point that the owner may wind up having to pay the squatters for 'improvements' they have made to his property.

The sooner you are able to start proceedings against them the better.

If you are an ARCR member, you should call ARCR and seek legal assistance ASAP!

Good Luck!

Paul M.

==