buying a rental/vacation home in costa rica

I'm new here and would like some info from people who "ACTUALLY KNOW".We are from Alberta Canada and are thinking of purchasing a home in c r.So our interests are....

-definately want a safe home.....gated community

-Canadian community

-within 45 minutes of international airport and freeway

-we are under 40 yrs. so a retirement community might not be for us

-no earth quake area/damaging storms or mud slide prone area

-must be close to marina and exc. fishing

-view of water would be nice

-a private yard is a must!!!!!

QUESTIONS:

which area is the safest,best weather and would be our best match?

-has anyone tried using their home as a rental property when they are not there?

-are property management companies to take care of rental homes?

-what's the best way to find a trusty realtor?

Our plan in the future is to have a home that we can live in to miss these HORRIBLE Canadian winters.

any info on this would be greatfully appreciated

thanks Wayne

Edited by hatewinter

I'm new here and would like some info from people who "ACTUALLY KNOW".We are from Alberta Canada and are thinking of purchasing a home in c r.So our interests are....

-Canadian community

-within 45 minutes of international airport and freeway

-no earth quake area/damaging storms or mud slide prone area

-must be close to marina and exc. fishing

-view of water would be nice

You will not find a single place in CR with all of the above things together. You probably won't find a place with even three of them together in one place except at the ocean, but then you won't have a freeway or an international airport within 45 minutes.

There are many, many posts each week about moving to CR and where to live. I suggest you go back and read all posts from the last few weeks. Then you'll be able to ask more specific, and reasonable questions that will help you more than what you've already asked.

It sounds like you're looking for Florida or one of the highly-Americanized/Westernized Caribbean Island countries.

Wayne, sorry to tell you but ciclista has it right...

-definately want a safe home.....gated community (Gated yes... safe no)

-Canadian community (uh, this is Costa Rica... occasional Canadian but not a community)

-within 45 minutes of international airport and freeway (yes, but not near ocean. Near Alajuela or Liberia yes, but you need more specifics of the weather & facilities you expect..)

-we are under 40 yrs. so a retirement community might not be for us (no "retirement communities" that I know since most of us live in Tico communities unless you're in Escazu or a few other enclaves)

-no earth quake area/damaging storms or mud slide prone area (expect earthquakes throughout the country (and surrounding countries)... storms & mudslides too... You need to evaluate the specific areas for these. There are no "earthquake, storm, and mudslide-free zones")

-must be close to marina and exc. fishing (see above. This is available but conflicts with most of your other requirements)

-view of water would be nice (same answer)

-a private yard is a must!!!!! ("private" is relative. Expect neighbors to appear at any moment. If near the beach, all beaches are public access. Plenty of private yards available elsewhere.)

It seems you haven't reviewed valuable resources (e.g. www.therealcostarica.com). Costa Rica isn't zoned, controlled, private, or other characteristics you'd expect in Florida, California, or Hawaii... It is a separate country with its own culture and foibles.

I'd suggest an extensive review of the forum postings and therealcostarica.com for a better feel. Then visit multiple times... and not on vacation. Living here is vastly different. It can be wonderful or a disaster but it only meets one or two of your requirements and conflicts with the rest.

If you're looking for a majority of your list, follow ciclista's advice and look elsewhere.

Hi fellow Albertan. I think most your needs would be met on the coast in the Guanacaste area but it is also probably the most expensive area.

There are numerous communities that area gated so bit safer IMHO and lots of North Americans and Europeans.You can send me a PM and I can tell you local real estate agent we used who we feel we could trust, originally from BC.

It appears to us renting is possible when in a popular location but then is available more in high season or holidays when you may want to be here as well. Right now with economy there are hundreds of vacant places to rent on pacific coast so maybe you would do well to come down and explore as methinks its hard to go on others opinions.We were looking for many of the same things you were and we found something that has made us very happy. We know we could not totally assimilate into a local Tico community due to our age and language barriers but where we live there are lots of foreingers so language is not an issue. We are leanirng Spanish but it is so hard as you age.I haven't seen any retirement communities as yet, I am sure they exist, our area is from very young to very old.Good luck in your journey, its alot of research so read all the forums and glean what you can and ask away where you need too:):)

you might check out the Ojochal area - South-central Pacific coast.

- Canadian community

- near ocean, up the hill for views and slight cooling

- new hospital

- small airport with connections to SJO

- coastal road is fairly new (highway-like)

I have no vested interest in this area - I have a friend who has a finca there, and so I visited it recently. Try this: www.ojochal.com

Agree with previous posts. You need to do some research, travel around the country and read some guides that have been suggested by other members. Our land is in Uvita, our neighbors are from Canada, we are 15 minutes to fishing (6 fish, 4 lost in 2 1/2 hours on the water over Christmas which was considered a bad day), with the exception of a small slide the area was in great shape after the worst storm in a generation or maybe ever. We are not gated but the community is considering a guard at the start of the community and we are not (will be close when the southern zone international airport opens....someday) 45 mins to San Jose - although the new highway is great!

I consider Costa Rica different degrees of an amazing, friendly and beatiful place to live. You need to consider which place is right for you! Good luck! This forum is filled with folks who care and can help and have a great library of research and tools to help you.....

Realize that if the home is not rented, you must have someone 'keep an eye' on it' other than just a property management company that is physically in the immediate area.

Plus at the beach you will probably require A/C. and electricity is now getting very expensive so be prepared for $600 + bills so, you will need to reap huge rewards to cover your costs.

We moved from Canada here 10 years ago...

Edited by costaricafinca
  • 3 weeks later...

CRF is spot on....I just installed three new ac's (mini splits) and electricity is extremely high.....

You will need a caretaker. Petty theft is a national sport.

-definately want a safe home.....gated community No problem

-Canadian community Canadians all over CR No problem

-within 45 minutes of international airport and freeway Problem because of numbers 5, 6, 7

-we are under 40 yrs. so a retirement community might not be for us No problem

-no earth quake area/damaging storms or mud slide prone area Problem CR is active with regards to quakes and storms...you can stay find alot of places that are not prone to mud slides

-must be close to marina and exc. fishing How close is close? Being close to Marina and within 45minutes of Airport would limit you to Guanacate/Liberia Airport

-view of water would be nice No Problem

-a private yard is a must!!!!! No problem

Good luck and have fun.

TS

• 2 weeks later...

We are also from Alberta, just outside of Red Deer, and the thought of retiring here was not to be considered. We have been looking for retirement property for four years and in November we finally purchased in Costa Rica. The fellow we purchased our three acre lot from retired to Costa Rica from Calgary and purchased a few hundred acres. PM me and I can give you the specifics of the community and area or I could just give you a call and fill you in. We looked at property from up by Lake Arenal to as far south as Cortez and can maybe offer some insight.

A Fellow Cold Canuck

hatewinter: There are many great deals out there and plenty of Canadians around (Surfside/Potrero is for some reason heavy on the Canadian population, just an FYI). Guanacaste will fit many needs for you. The best location based on what you are speaking of will be Tamarindo/Flamingo areas and points north like Cocos/Hermosa/Ocotal. Come and visit and see which areas fit YOU best. If rental income is a main objective you will have to own property in a more touristed area. We manage properties in many different beach areas and Tamarindo/Flamingo/Cocos/Hermosa are the most popular destinations for vacationers in our area. Best of luck.