Thanks, John, The wee bird is a male Ruby-throated hummingbird that migrates here to some parts of Guanacaste or at least to our garden, in mid-Oct staying until end of March from way up there in North America.

Maybe after a wee dram your Christmas spirit will appear....

I don't whether you have heard of Advocaat, which is an European 'relation' of egg nog. Where I grew up in Scotland, my aunt used to put 10 eggs, still in their shell, into a container and covering them with brandy until the shell dissolved,which takes about 7-10 days, then mixed with milk and sugar. Woman and teenagers were sometimes allowed to have some diluted with 'cream soda' which was then called, a 'Snowball'. What else is one do do with all our fresh laid eggs... :rolleyes:

And of course I have to make Peanut butter squares...which the our Ticos friends love. Baklava is on the menu, as is Shortbread, a real Scottish tradition.

If you are in need of hot chili seeds let me know.

Edited by costaricafinca

I love those little ginger gummy candies (Super Sony has them). I offered one to a Tico friend, telling him "no problem" if he wanted to, mmm, spit it out. He ate it, but almost immediately had a coffee w/ extra sugar to kill the taste - we joke about it still.

I brought ginger snaps to share with my class. No one seemed to know what molasses was, even when my teacher and I explained it as a by-product of making sugar. I refrained from mentioning that it is a common thing to give to horses ;)

• 1 month later...

Julie I buy my molasses from the hardware store in a gallon container, since it costs 10x more for a small bottle, if you can even find it here.... and it puts a spring in your step....

CRF

Just what hardware store did you get the molasses? In Liberia? i have a lg. pkg. white beans from Canada & want to make baked beans. Also have some other recipes that call for molasses.

Carol, you need to go to a agriculture/hardware store. I'm sure there is one in Playas del Coco but if not, the large Dos Pinos facility just across from the Best Western hotel outside of Liberia will sell it. The first time we bought a gallon but since then we have purchased a 5 gallon container full...possibly a bit big for your kitchen cupboard... :lol:

Carol, you need to go to a agriculture/hardware store.

Just wondering ... What do Ticos use molasses for that it needs to be purchased in an agriculture/hardware store? I have asked for it at such places as AutoMercado, Mas X Menos and HiperMas, and no one seems to know what I am talking about. And yes, I am using the Spanish word for molasses—melaza.

Just wondering ... What do Ticos use molasses for that it needs to be purchased in an agriculture/hardware store? I have asked for it at such places as AutoMercado, Mas X Menos and HiperMas, and no one seems to know what I am talking about. And yes, I am using the Spanish word for molasses—melaza.

Not only at an ag/hardware store but at a veterinarian's office...

It is used as an animal feed supplement, but it is of course a good people-food supplement, too.

Holy Gingerbread, Batman!

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Carol, you need to go to a agriculture/hardware store. I'm sure there is one in Playas del Coco but if not, the large Dos Pinos facility just across from the Best Western hotel outside of Liberia will sell it. The first time we bought a gallon but since then we have purchased a 5 gallon container full...possibly a bit big for your kitchen cupboard... :lol:

Thanks. I have someone heading to Dos Pinos today to pick some up for me.