After standing for ages removing the calyces of Hibiscus sabdariffa, AKA Flor de jamaica, I was wondering whether anyone else on the forum has made a punch with these 'petals' which are readily available in many grocery stores.

After looking for some seeds of this plant for a long time, the man who was installing our security system brought me a lot of small seedlings. Well, they grew fast and furious and now I must do something with them.... possibly a Christmas punch using one of the recipes I have found on the 'net. :P

After standing for ages removing the calyces of Hibiscus sabdariffa, AKA Flor de jamaica, I was wondering whether anyone else on the forum has made a punch with these 'petals' which are readily available in many grocery stores.

After looking for some seeds of this plant for a long time, the man who was installing our security system brought me a lot of small seedlings. Well, they grew fast and furious and now I must do something with them.... possibly a Christmas punch using one of the recipes I have found on the 'net. :P

To make the Sorrel Punch:

Ingredients:

1. 2 cups dried sorrel flowers
  2. 1/4 cup fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
  3. 1 stick cinnamon
  4. 4 whole cloves
  5. 1 cup sugar
  6. 6 cups water
  7. 1 1/2 to 2 cups over-proof Jamaican rum (or any of your favorite dark rum)
  8. Lemon, lime and orange slices, for garnish

Preparation:

In a large, heat-proof bowl, combine the sorrel, the ginger, the cinnamon stick the cloves and the sugar. Set aside.

Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the sorrel, spices and sugar. Allow the mixture to cool. Cover the bowl and let and let the punch steep for two days.

Strain the mixture through a fine cheesecloth and return the liquid to the bowl.

Stir in the rum. Cover once more and allow the mixture to stand for two more days.

Strain the punch a final time and place it in the refrigerator to chill.

Serve the Sorrel Punch over glasses full of crushed ice, with garnishes of lemon, lime and orange slices. (During the holidays, this is accompanied with a slice of Fruit Cake)

Rodrigo if you would like some seeds to grow your own, please let me know.

That sounds great, costaricafinca, just let me know where I should pick them up.

Thank you again for your kindness. I would like to have this plant available for ehjoying the petals.

I would like to do the same about Ilan-Ilan. I like this tree because of its delicious perfume.

Dear friend,

Talking about the benefits of this beverage with Flor de Jamaica, I read online that it is antioxidant, prevents hypertension´s problems and eliminates bad cholesterol.

So, it not only a refreshing and delicious drink but it is also very healthy.

I definitely recommend trying it.

Edited by Rodrigo