turnando

Attorney in Golfito or Pto. Jimenez?

Hello,

Has anyone had a good experience with an English-speaking real estate attorney in Golfito or Pto. Jimenez?

I'll request a referral through ARCR but thought I'd see if any of you had any opinions.

Thanks!

I would use a arcr attorney for real estate not a Jimenez or Golfito attorney.

I live on the Osa and would not use a local one, read between the lines if you want, tread very very carefully when dealing with attorneys

there is no protection for fraudulent ones,

You can also use a title company like stewart title or latcorp.

There is a lot of IDA land which ticos try to sell to Gringos which is illegal and would be confiscated by the goverment.

I have seen many screwed up deals and money lost by expats and they always say "he seemed like such a nice man"

Thanks for the heads up, Roger. That's exactly the kind of dirt I'm looking for. I'll stay away from the local attorneys then. If there are plenty of shady attorneys in Pto. Jimenez and Golfito then I'm not really interested in wading through to get to the good one.

As for dealing with the nice guys selling property... I am on 100% alert status and have been from day 1. The nicer they are, the more I wonder what they are hiding. I'll be staying away from IDA land too... thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the heads up, Roger. That's exactly the kind of dirt I'm looking for. I'll stay away from the local attorneys then. If there are plenty of shady attorneys in Pto. Jimenez and Golfito then I'm not really interested in wading through to get to the good one.

As for dealing with the nice guys selling property... I am on 100% alert status and have been from day 1. The nicer they are, the more I wonder what they are hiding. I'll be staying away from IDA land too... thanks for the reminder.

Turnado,

Let me add this to the thread . . .

Not only that, but as a member of ARCR, if your spanish is limited, they can arrange for someone to accompany you when you go house or apartment hunting and also if you are in the market for purchasing a house, etc.

Keep in mind that with few regulations in CR on real estate sellers it is best to do business with the owner of the property. It is well known that people have overpaid for properties when they engaged a seller. The seller goes to an owner, Juan Júlio, and asks, "How much do you want for your house/property/farm and gets a price from the owner, let's say US$60,000. Then along comes someone looking for a house/property/farm, etc., and the seller says, "I have just the thing for you... Here's Juan Júlio's place for US$85,000. Then if you buy at that price without knowing what owner Juan Júlio was really asking for the place, and so the seller gets to pocket $25,000 of your money, which you've just paid unecessarily for that property.

So, you should always deal directly with the property owner. And that is why, if your spanish is not yet up to snuff, you should have someone with you who can translate for you. ARCR has another office right next to the main offices in Casa Canada where they have personnel who can assist their members with finding propeties to fent or purchase.

And ARCR's legal department has contracted-on reliable and knowledgeable attorneys who have experience with real estate (and other transactions). ARCR's members may engage them to deal with the legal aspects of various types of tramites in Costa Rica.

Also there is a segment of the ARCR Two-Day Seminar that deals with how to go about finding property to rent or buy with much good information for the novice as well as for someone who has been here a while.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Who's quite satisfied with living in his little rented apartment in Alajuela Centro -which he found pretty much on his own.

==

Hey Paul,

Thanks a lot for taking the time for the informative response.

I'm definitely joining ARCR and I'm going to use their attorney referral service. My spanish is fair, but not good. I can't walk into a party and have a meaningful conversation so I know I'm not at the point I need to be in order to conduct business. That deal in which ARCR has someone help with house hunting might come in handy.

Thanks!

Hello,

Has anyone had a good experience with an English-speaking real estate attorney in Golfito or Pto. Jimenez?

I'll request a referral through ARCR but thought I'd see if any of you had any opinions.

Thanks!

Always hire a second attorney to make sure the first one did the job right and all papers were filed. Also an ARCR attorney will take months longer to do the work. Be sure to live in the area for at least one to two years before you buy. Best on the property you want to buy. Notice that it takes years to sell.

AL

Hello

I bought a lot and planning to build on it in Osa Mountain Village using a great attorney in San Jose, and he is still helping us through building contracts etc. I have already recommended him to others and everyone is happy. He even took us to various building supply places on his Saturday just to help.

His English is great and I would be happy to provide his contact info. He has a lot of local contacts and knows the area well. Just send me your email address in response and I will send you the details privately.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks!