IHey - Just a couple of comments on guns. We had them at home and I got my first gun when I was 6. When I worked in Bolivia, it was frequently in the Chapare (Coca Country) and I started out carrying a 9 mil auto but stopped when I realized that if someone wanted to kill me I'd never hear the shot that killed me. Besides, someone might kill me for the gun. Thre are 2 things to remember about "guns for protection". (1) frequently the people are killed with their own gun, (2) if you ever take up the gun, be already prepared to use it. Your mind has to be set, not to threaten, but to kill without hesitation. Are you ready for that? Very few people are. I'm very good with guns and I never keep one in the house because it becomes knee-jerk after that.

Very important point--when I got my first carry permit many years ago in NY--I never did carry except to the shooting range--I had to go through an orientation with the local sheriff department, and after proving I could hit a target without shooting myself in the foot, the sheriff gave me an overview of the laws, and he ended the session with "never just point a gun at a person--just pull the trigger." Then, and only then is your weapon actually a defensive tool, and as jagsoul said so well, are you ready for that?? If not, don't waste your money on a weapon.