I've read that many ex-pats in Costa Rica are armed, regardless of the gun law.

Have there been instances of ex-pats (Americans, Canadians, or Europeans) shooting home intruders in the past decade?

What would likely happen to such a shooter in the Costa Rican courts?

Note: I'm just asking the questions.

I am in no way advocating any form of home protection nor any specific reaction to any crime.

JP

My husband was speaking to the owner of the gun shop in Liberia and he told him that changes have been approved and that an announcement 'should be within 2 weeks'.

One can purchase a weapon through their corporation, once again ... according to him, and Permanent residency or citizenship will not be a prerequisite..

I would be very interested in hearing how this all comes out, after all I'm from Kentucky and WE ALL have guns. I plan on moving to CR in about a year and the gun laws are about the only dislike I can find to CR. I just figured I would have to keep pepper spray and stun gun in the house until my permanent residency went through for 3 to 5 years without a gun for self protection and hope for the best. Please keep me posted.

Same up here, Ron.

Everyone has a has a gun, either for home protection, hunting, or in case we get attacked by one of those 'momma grizzlies'.

I hear ya! I have left the house and forgot my wallet but had my gun on me, lol Right now its deer season so you really have to be ready, never know what's going to jump out in front of you.

Due to the increasing frequency of human-bear encounters, the US Fish and Wildlife Division is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy jingle bells on clothing so as to give advance warning to any bears that might be close by so you don't take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of doors to carry Pepper Spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between Black Bear feces and Grizzly Bear feces. Black Bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly Bear poop has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Edited by RaggedJack

• 2 weeks later...

My husband was speaking to the owner of the gun shop in Liberia and he told him that changes have been approved and that an announcement 'should be within 2 weeks'.

One can purchase a weapon through their corporation, once again ... according to him, and Permanent residency or citizenship will not be a prerequisite..

I guess that explains why the street price of guns has dropped. These people are right on top of the market.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we picked up paperwork today from the gunsmith that was released for the public,on Nov.29 '10. The website is here although I can't find this same information. A phone number to contact is 2586-45-03

Basically it says if one has lived here less than 5 years, you must produced a copy of your good conduct/police report that you produced for immigration.

Edited by costaricafinca

Well, we picked up paperwork today from the gunsmith that was released for the public,on Nov.29 '10. The website is here although I can't find this same information. A phone number to contact is 2586-45-03

Basically it says if one has lived here less than 5 years, you must produced a copy of your good conduct/police report that you produced for immigration.

Just for the record and slightly off-topic to this thread, the hoja de delincuencia that the applicant was obliged to provide, is now no longer required for residency apps. or renewals, since La Migra now has the capability to look your info up on line themselves.

This was reported in the current month's El Residente, ARCR's magazine for its members.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

• 4 weeks later...