I would urge all who read this to advise friends and family not to vacation in Jaco. The crime here is out of control!Because of my relationship with the moderator i cannot go into detail but if you contact me privately i will fill you in.

do you have any statistics to back up your claim or only personal experience?

do you have any statistics to back up your claim or only personal experience?

A police force that doesn't care enough to investigate most reported crimes is not a reliable source of crime statistics. Never mind the many times frustrated victims don't even bother to formally report the crime because they know that nothing will come of it...

Last month in Jaco, I was asked to place my hands on a police car and patted down like a damn felon. I do not do drugs and I do not have any kind of "look" that would lead anyone to believe I do them.

The cop actually tried to place his hands in my pocket to check for whatever...of course I stopped him and told him to take his hands off me...I turned my pockets inside out and showed him I had nothing and he just walked away.

I have been told by locals that the police are hoping to find drugs or anything on you so that hey can get you to pay them off to let you go..a terrible way of doing things, but I guess they have to make money to pay for their living.

I walk down the streets in Jaco and have drug dealers asking me if I want coke, pot, whatever ...right in front of those same cops that are giving me problems...very frustrating!

In my opinion Jaco is a mess...It sure was a lot better a few years ago. Costa Rica is a beautiful place!.... but I prefer to spend little time in Jaco..

OP: What's the point of making a thread about crime in Jaco if you can't even talk about it?!? It's like telling some one you have very big news and then you just leave them hanging. Seems rather pointless...

Hello Jessica,

What it is is that in Costa Rica the libel laws may come to haunt you if you post negative things about a person or business and also name names. Surely you have noticed that in the CR newspapers online when there are photos of arrests by the OIJ (Police), the faces of the perps are covered or obscured.

Costa Rica's legal system is very different from the ones we have in the US and in Canada. If you are charged with somthing in CR you may be placed in preventative detention until the case is heard and decided by a judge. There is generally no way for most people to bail out of preventative detention. That is ironic though, since often perps of street crimes or B&Es. etc., are released by a judge for various reasons. Then in short order those same perps are back on the street up to their old tricks.

Nonetheless, it is safer to watch one's mouth and pen in public and on the internet. The aggrieved party can levy a denuncia against someone who s/he claims has slandeered him/her. Then the accused must prove him- or herself innocent.

Based upon that we ask members to be very cautious about posting negative reviews or comments about businesses, etc., on the Forums.

What we do permit generally is that if a member has had a problem with a business, for example, is to, without naming names, say something like for example, that they had a problem with a car rental business business that treated them unfairly and that for further information, please contact them off-list.

Hope that explains the cryptic first post in this thread.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

A police force that doesn't care enough to investigate most reported crimes is not a reliable source of crime statistics. Never mind the many times frustrated victims don't even bother to formally report the crime because they know that nothing will come of it...

Only OIJ ( = FBI here ) is legally granted the right to investigate. Policeman cannot collect evidence , investigate or interrogate perps even when caught red handed. OIJ of course is under manned , under funded and under equipped. I agree that crime statistics here are unreliable , quite. Most tourists don't report crimes for the following reasons : they're too far from the police staion , they don't speak Spanish, they rightfully have their doubts that their goods will be recovered or the perps will face jail time and all the time and trouble will ruin their vacation. Where I live it's a long ordeal to report a crime. Alot of these robbieries might be avoided if hoteliers and tourist operations forewarned their clients but the fear of losing clientel zips their lips. Of course ,many victims resent this policy and do in part blame their hosts for not having warned them that simple measures can often prevent being robbed.

• 3 weeks later...

Only OIJ ( = FBI here ) is legally granted the right to investigate. Policeman cannot collect evidence , investigate or interrogate perps even when caught red handed. OIJ of course is under manned , under funded and under equipped. I agree that crime statistics here are unreliable , quite. Most tourists don't report crimes for the following reasons : they're too far from the police staion , they don't speak Spanish, they rightfully have their doubts that their goods will be recovered or the perps will face jail time and all the time and trouble will ruin their vacation. Where I live it's a long ordeal to report a crime. Alot of these robbieries might be avoided if hoteliers and tourist operations forewarned their clients but the fear of losing clientel zips their lips. Of course ,many victims resent this policy and do in part blame their hosts for not having warned them that simple measures can often prevent being robbed.

crime in Jaco is out of control. every day there is armed robberies and knifing

• 2 weeks later...