SydB

Costa Rica lost land to Nicaragua and they were unable to do anything

Aragon Farm on Calero Island has always belonged to Costa Rica, but after comandante Pastora's intepretation of the border treaty, which he based not only on Google Maps but also papers from 1897, it belongs to Nicaragua. Costa Rica will likely win the battle... on paper. But in practice it is unlikely that the Nicas will let go of that land. They need it for their dredging project because it allows them quick access to the ocean. The case will likely go to The Hague, but by the time there is a resolution the course of the river will have been changed, the disputed piece of land will end up on the Nicaraguan side, and it will be too difficult for Costa Rica to reclaim anything north of the new San Juan river.. Consider the San Juan river case. After the case went to The Hague it was confirmed that commercial Costa Rican boats had the right to navigate on the San Juan River, but in practice such boats are still not permitted on the river. I feel badly for Costa Rica. They want to promote themselves as a pacifist nation with no army but the filpside of that is that you get pushed around by bullies like Ortega. The only salvation for Costa Rica is if the US Army moves to the area and kicks the Nicas back to their side of the San Juan. But unfortunately, that's another point in favor of Ortega's reelection effort. It's win-win for that gentleman. Very sad. Let's hope that Ortega does not decide to continue bolstering his popularity by taking more Costa Rican land.

Edited by SydB

Oh Canada! Today, Canada offered help to Costa Rica in the way of geographers and military personnel as needed. I think somebody is looking for a warm vacation before winter arrives.

The USA offered any help requested by the two countries to help them solve the dispute. No response from Danny O yet.

Aragon Farm on Calero Island has always belonged to Costa Rica, but after comandante Pastora's intepretation of the border treaty, which he based not only on Google Maps but also papers from 1897, it belongs to Nicaragua. Costa Rica will likely win the battle... on paper. But in practice it is unlikely that the Nicas will let go of that land. They need it for their dredging project because it allows them quick access to the ocean. The case will likely go to The Hague, but by the time there is a resolution the course of the river will have been changed, the disputed piece of land will end up on the Nicaraguan side, and it will be too difficult for Costa Rica to reclaim anything north of the new San Juan river.. Consider the San Juan river case. After the case went to The Hague it was confirmed that commercial Costa Rican boats had the right to navigate on the San Juan River, but in practice such boats are still not permitted on the river. I feel badly for Costa Rica. They want to promote themselves as a pacifist nation with no army but the filpside of that is that you get pushed around by bullies like Ortega. The only salvation for Costa Rica is if the US Army moves to the area and kicks the Nicas back to their side of the San Juan. But unfortunately, that's another point in favor of Ortega's reelection effort. It's win-win for that gentleman. Very sad. Let's hope that Ortega does not decide to continue bolstering his popularity by taking more Costa Rican land.

Hola SydB.

I, as a Costa Rican, really appreciate your concern and sorrow about this situation in the border. I thank you, and all new-tico fellows, for your interest in the subject.

I don´t know what the ending will be for this matter, obviously I wish at least two things to happen: first, a peaceful solution, then keeping our land due to international institutions, even legal ones, recognize we are right.

But, thinking about a military solution, I don´t think is something good for the country. We decided, after 1948 civil war in Costa Rica, to abolish the army. It could be illusory for many people, but, for instance, when I was born, there was no army anymore, and I don´t know, and it is the same for the rest of the Tico population, what it means to have one and its potential benefits.

What I know, according to History, is than, being a poor country, we have improved our health and education systems using the money in those projects than in an army.

I also know that Nicaragua was, 200 years ago, one of the richest countries in Central America, with one of the first universites and high class styles of living at that time, but the selfishness of few families, involved in political activities and power, started several wars that causes misery to the nica people until now: many of them are living without a regular job, in poverty, with not good water, even mud instead of drinkable water, a bad crime situation when wars finished, 20 years ago, and many very good nicas are comming to work here, I have hired many of them because they are responsible, honest, hard working people.

So, it is true any good army, like US army, could give us a quick solution, but we have to live the rest of the existence with Nicaragua in the North border, so, I think it is better to figure out other ways out instead of violence.

Thank you, in any case, for the suggestion.

Cuidense amigos.

Edited by Rodrigo

Rodrigo - thank you so much for your sane and sensible comments. I totally agree that a military solution goes against all that Costa Rica stands for and really believe that we need continue to work towards getting along with our neighbor to the north. I have friends who are Nicaraguan and value their friendship highly. They are hard workers and just continually puzzled about the crazy things their government continues to do. Perhaps this will change in time.

I would just like to suggest that NOT having a "military option" might actually be a significant advantage. When the ability to engage in the typical bellicose posturing, which so often leads to the escalation of small problems into large and the lose of of life for no good reason, is removed, diplomacy, negotiation, and dialogue become the primary means of resolving disputes. Although these methods are often slow and frustrating (and provide little opportunity for politicians to posture), they generally lead to better long term solutions and avoid the bitterness and hatred of one nation towards another which always results from war and which can last for generations.

I applaud Costa Rica's rejection of violence, or the threat of violence, as a means to "resolve" disputes.

Oh Canada! Today, Canada offered help to Costa Rica in the way of geographers and military personnel as needed. I think somebody is looking for a warm vacation before winter arrives.

The USA offered any help requested by the two countries to help them solve the dispute. No response from Danny O yet.

Oh come on, you know we canadians are too KIND to have an ulterior motive, we just want to help (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

TicaNadian

Edited by lawsv