SydB

Common stereotypes of Americans living in Costa Rica....

Don't you see what SydB is doing... he's trying to stir the pot and get some discussion going. What better way to do this than by writing something designed create a little controversy. As I can see, he/she has succeeded.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and attempt to describe Americans living in Costa Rica. Of course, I'll probably end up making generalizations and at worst offend people with my bluntness and at best make them laugh with my short-sightedness and negativity, so feel free to correct anything that you believe is inaccurate or not true.

It is my belief that most Americans who move to countries like Costa Rica are liberal and a little bit crazy. You probably won't find a lot of republican expats in Costa Rica, that's for sure; and by "a little bit crazy" I don't mean crazy like "Wild Bill" or crazy because they left a first world country for a third world country, but crazy like "a little bit odd" by both American and Costa Rican cultural standards. Aging hippies, ultra religious people and hardcore do-gooders come to mind. There is also the adventurous, risk-taking entrepreneurial type, who saw an opportunity to make money in Costa Rica and moved there. Of course, there are also the scammers, the drug addicts and the pedophiles, but those are a minority and not worth discussing.

I also believe that one of the main draws of moving to Costa Rica is not only the fact that the cost of living is lower in Costa Rica than in the states or the fact that Costa Rica has beautiful beaches, but also the fact that in the US you can be another boring American, whereas in Costa Rica you can be a big shot because you are gringo. (You might have noticed that Costa Ricans are very friendly, but does their friendliness extend to those who are not gringo? Possibly, but what if they go out of their way to be nice to you just because they think it is convenient to have a "rich" gringo as a friend?)

That's it. As you can see I don't have a lot of thoughts on the subject and the few thoughts I have are limited to the impressions I have formed of the few expats I've met. You probably know a lot more expats than I do, yourself included, so feel free to correct me if you disagree with anything I've written.

Pardon my bluntness in advance, but you should pull your head out of your, um, back pocket and take a really good look around. And leave the dark brown sunglasses off while you do.

I have met as many 'Conservatives' here as 'Liberal', many of whom seemed to have "escaped" the US under President Clinton because they were afraid he was going to turn it into the USSofA. Didn't happen till be got "W" and the so-called Patriot Act.

Can't really tell if one are any more or less "crazy" than the other. As for the "scammers, the drug addicts and the pedophiles", they seem to me to be as equally Lib or Con, but I think the Con's are better at the scams as they all have MBA's.

They both seem to do the same amount of pot tho, something the Cons might have been afraid to admit openly in the US. Don't know about that last one, but whenever you read of pedophiles being busted in the states, it seems odd how they are usually considered to be the "Pillar of the Community", long standing member of the CoC, etc. In other words, not usually a swinging Liberal.

As for the second part of your ad-hoc description, sure, CR is a beautiful, and fairly inexpensive place to live comfortably. And there are some who come here and want to be El Grande Gringo, but there are many more who are quite content and happily living much like thier Tico neighbors. And the income levels are well mixed, you can find successful Libs living in the gated communities, and well-off Cons living a low-key life style not too different from the Ticos living next door. There are some Tico's who are deferential to Gringos because of perceived wealth status, and they might be trying to take advantage of that. But there are plenty of Ticos who mix & mingle with Gringos without giving it much of a thought.

So, if you were just trying to 'stir things up', congratulations, you have succeeded. And I also hope you are truly trying to learn more about those of us who have moved here from the US and elsewhere to start new lives. I hope you open your eyes up and really take a look around and see what is really going on here in this vibrant, well mixed country called Costa Rica.

Pura Vida! Dana J

Edited by DanaJ

Short version:

Expats are expats. All are individuals. Tossing out generalizations to make them "stand up and be counted" while pitting one against the other is unnecessary and counter-productive. I'm completely against this thread.

I'm sorry it has survived this long.

The term 'Third World' arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned or not moving at all with either capitalism and NATO (which along with its allies represented the First World) or communism and the Soviet Union (which along with its allies represented the Second World). This definition provided a way of broadly categorizing the nations of the Earth into three groups based on social, political, and economic divisions.

The term continues to be used colloquially to describe the poorest countries in the world.

Thank you. I am really sick and tired of hearing people refer to Costa Rica as a third world country. Especially people who live here.

Here it is for you Liberal Arts majors - The term 'Third World' arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned or not moving at all with either capitalism and NATO (which along with its allies represented the First World) or communism and the Soviet Union (which along with its allies represented the Second World). This definition provided a way of broadly categorizing the nations of the Earth into three groups based on social, political, and economic divisions.

The term continues to be used colloquially to describe the poorest countries in the world.

Well, as one of your directionless liberal arts types (and getting a little old to get a job unless there's an opening as a Wal-Mart greeter) I must congratulate you for being sort of right about the meaning of "third world." It was a Cold War concept, thunk up by our friends at the Pentagon, to denote those countries that were allied with neither the "free" nor the "communist" world. However, the way I heard it is that the "third world" was also where the Cold War was really fought. Hmmm, go figure, that's kind of what happened, wasn't it? The third world was the poor battleground for the Cold War.

We could also ask what happened to the concept of the third world. Ya know, it became "low income country" according to the UN, which also has "high" and "middle-income" countries. Go figure, the highs are pretty much the old first world, the middles disproportionately the old second world, and the poors the old third world.

The high, low, middle makes it sound so mathematical and neutral, like just calculate GDP and you're done, without any explanation for why the countries differ. I'm not a real fan of Pentagon classifications, but I prefer theirs to this new-fangled one because it suggests a reason for third world poverty.

On the other issue that started this thread, I believe the poster is right that gringo liberals outnumber gringo conservatives in CR, and wacko gringo liberals are more prevalent than monkeys. This said, I sure seem to run into a lot of gringo conservatives, and moving the Amnet channel for FOX News seemed to elicit the biggest hand wringing since the Titanic went down. God help us if Jeopardy is ever canceled. It's a mixed bag down here, that's for sure.

Though I keep having to tell my Tico friends that they gringos they meet are NOT typical of the gringos in the US. Left, right, or just goofy, expats are a problematic bunch.

Besides this, anyone know a Wal-Mart looking for greeters? I'm what I would prefer to call unemployable rather than directionless, but any line on gainful employment would be appreciated. You see, I have these useless liberal arts degrees and could really use the guidance of those of you who knew what education was really for while I was just floundering flunky and then forced to mark more time as a college professor. Maybe if I had majored in widgets all would be better . . .

Edited by kenn

[

Please do not forget that we Black Republicans that believe you should not give anything away except tax breaks are here as well. People are friendly to me maybe I am gringo? Spend some more time.

Ed