SydB

I know that some gringos marry Ticas in order to obtain citizenship, b

As most of us know, if a gringo is desperate to obtain Costa Rican citizenship, he can always marry a Tica, which isn't very hard to do, since gringos, especially the more ethnic looking ones, have high social status in that country and are for the most part considered desirable, either because the ladies think that all gringos are rich, because they want American citizenship, or because they want to whiten up a little bit. I was wondering if the same is true for gringas living in Costa Rica who want to obtain Costa Rican citizenship. Do they marry Ticos in order to obtain papers or is that unheard of?

so you plan on putting yourself up for sale (marriage) as a way of making a living in CR? all your other posts were about moving here to ge a job because you were a citizen - are you planning marrying a rich gringa? color me confused. :unsure:

so you plan on putting yourself up for sale (marriage) as a way of making a living in CR? all your other posts were about moving here to ge a job because you were a citizen - are you planning marrying a rich gringa? color me confused. :unsure:

no

Edited by SydB

Good one, SydB - you have managed to post something that is not only offensive but inaccurate. You don't automatically gain citizenship by marrying either a Tico or a Tica.

I think an apology is in order and maybe a good cleansing. Maybe wash your mind out with soap.

When I think of my Costa Rican neighbors and read what you have written, it makes me see red.

I believe that, even after marrying a Tica/Tico you still cannot work for 2 years.

Other gentle Forum members feel free to correct me.

And yes, I am also offended by this blatant misuse of the sanctity of marriage. Sorry Syd.

Good one, SydB - you have managed to post something that is not only offensive but inaccurate. You don't automatically gain citizenship by marrying either a Tico or a Tica.

I think an apology is in order and maybe a good cleansing. Maybe wash your mind out with soap.

When I think of my Costa Rican neighbors and read what you have written, it makes me see red.

People marry all the time for reasons other than love and that's perfectly normal. Sometimes they want companionship, someone to have and raise children with, financial security, or, in this case, permanent residency. The option of marrying a Costa Rican is not illegal or unheard of. If you read the sticky titled "So you would like to move to Costa Rica?", which you can find on this forum, you will see that the administrator himself mentions the option of marrying a Costa Rican in order to obtain Costa Rican papers. He doesn't recommend it, and neither do I, but it happens.

I don't believe that anyone, especially gringos and gringas, should feel offended by what I've written. If you think that I offended Ticos and Ticas, it's probably because you don't understand the idiosyncracies of the average Costa Rican as well as I do. Not all of them are like that, of course, but many are. And that's not necessarily a Costa Rican thing, it happens in all Latin American countries.

Edited by SydB

I don't believe that anyone, especially gringos and gringas, should feel offended by what I've written. If you think that I offended Ticos and Ticas, it's probably because you don't understand the idiosyncracies of the average Costa Rican as well as I do. Not all of them are like that, of course, but many are. And that's not necessarily a Costa Rican thing, it happens in all Latin American countries.

If you understand the idiosyncracies of the average Costa Rican better than most, then why did you ask the question? maybe this topic can be moved to the OFF TOPIC column since it was more of a philosophical query not a real concern of yours.

just a thought

So explain the ". . . Whiten up a bit." part, SydB. What's that about?

I don't want to offend more people. Figure it out yourself.

Many (most?) gringas who live in Costa Rica don't need a Tico relationship in order to live the life they want - they either qualify for residency on their own, or they are satisfied with the perpetual tourist scheme. I do know of several Gringas who are in a relationship with Ticos, and none of them are in it for the "papers." It's possible the situation exists, of course, I just don't know of one.

Come on y'all . . . let's keep things polite, please. We're getting close to the cliff edge here.

Whether Syd's post was objectionable or not, the replies are expected to remain civil.

If you have complaints, address them off-list to the moderating team.

There's even a button at the bottm left of each post to make such reports/complaints.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Paul - considering the nature of the original post, I think the responses have been very civil. I would suggest that leaving this thread open will just invite more uncivil replies and really the original post is pretty worthless. If I were you, I would just shut it down. It's drivel anyway.

Reading stuff written by a person you/we don't know can sometimes lead to misunderstandings. I think Syd's posts have been "edgy" and a little bit racist, but the fact is that racism in varying degrees is not uncommon among Ticos who live in CR, and most of the time Ticos think of racism as more a fact of life than the way gringos would think of racism. I think that's what Syd is alluding too, albeit in a not too diplomatic way.

Gringos.... derived from the shouts of Latin Americans telling the yankee soldiers dressed in green military uniforms, "Green go home!".