Chariotdriver

Need help in translating website to English

... is this keychain fob plugged into the computer like a USB thumb drive or does it have a button you press that generates a number you input into the online banking system?

No, Ray, it is not.

The token has a molded loop at one end to hang it on a keychain. You could put it in your pocket but since it is only about the size of two 'sticks' of Dentyne gum laid on top of one another, it chances getting lost if you just put it in your pocket. If lost, then you would have to go back to the bank and buy another and 'register' that one to your acount.

There is a little, square, whilte button on the of the front side of your token that you press when prompted to while you are logging into your account. When you press it a six digit nummber comes up in its LCD screen and stays there for about thirty seconds or so. (I haven't timed it because I was en train of logging into my account.)

Just to be perfectly clear, this token does not plug into your (or any computer). You enter the number that appears in the token's window manually into your computer in the field that is presented to you on-screen for your account.

It does seem a bit hairy but it works. Once you become more familiar with using it and the login process it does get significantly easier. It really does, and I say this from first-hand experience.

The real pain is remembering to change your main password every thirty days or so.

Fingers X-ed for you.

¡Pura Contraseña!

Paul M.

==

I have to convert x number of dollars prior to the end of my first year being a Temp Resident.

My residency was approved in Nov of last year so I'm thinking that I need to transfer the 36,000 prior to Nov starting so that gives approx 25 days to do so.

I have x in the Banco Nacional accounts and that amount would need to be moved back and forth several times to make that amount work out.

If you are trying to transfer these funds to satisfy your residency requirements, you must go into the bank to do it in order to get the required receipts. You cannot do it online or via ATMs. If this law has changed, someone please correct me. I would love to not have to go into the bank and wait ... and wait ...

Thank you Shea. I just saw this thread and after the "need to transfer x number of dollars for my temporary residency" comment, all subsequent posts addressed how to use the BNCR website.

This potentially major problem for Chariot needed an answer... If Chariot doesn't understand that moving money between accounts doesn't qualify (and I've seen nothing indicating a change, but could be wrong) we'd miss the chance to help avert a tragedy.

Glad you jumped in Shea! (although I'm not sure why this is in the Real Estate forum...?)

Edited by CountDown

Moving money between accounts **does** count for residency requirements, *if* one account is in dollars, and one account is in colones. This is **exactly** what we did for our rentista residency. The only requirement is that you convert xx dollars to colones, and you are able to provide the proof of doing this. If you move dollars to your colon account (converting in the process), even if done online, then your bank has the records of this, and will write you a letter to that effect when you need it - that letter is your proof for residency renewal.

This is **exactly** what we did for our rentista residency.
Excellent! Was use of "bank letter" published somewhere and we missed it or just your experience with a recent renewal?

Have you done this more than once? Did you renew at BCR or Immigration? Was your letter from BNCR or HSBC? Do you suppose Immigration would also accept it?

Paul and others have often cautioned about the safety in having the physical teller receipts. For bank letters there have been only recounts by a few (success) and others (rejected). Ergo my questions.

Without a published protocol I'd hate to reach my renewal again and have the BCR agent (or Immigration!) deny a letter as proof.

No, Ray, it is not.

The token has a molded loop at one end to hang it on a keychain. You could put it in your pocket but since it is only about the size of two 'sticks' of Dentyne gum laid on top of one another, it chances getting lost if you just put it in your pocket. If lost, then you would have to go back to the bank and buy another and 'register' that one to your acount.

There is a little, square, whilte button on the of the front side of your token that you press when prompted to while you are logging into your account. When you press it a six digit nummber comes up in its LCD screen and stays there for about thirty seconds or so. (I haven't timed it because I was en train of logging into my account.)

Just to be perfectly clear, this token does not plug into your (or any computer). You enter the number that appears in the token's window manually into your computer in the field that is presented to you on-screen for your account.

It does seem a bit hairy but it works. Once you become more familiar with using it and the login process it does get significantly easier. It really does, and I say this from first-hand experience.

The real pain is remembering to change your main password every thirty days or so.

Fingers X-ed for you.

¡Pura Contraseña!

Paul M.

==

Hi Paul, thanks again for the additional information. This will be one of the first things we do upon arrival in CR in January. I am consistent about changing the password at the beginning of each month so this is not a problem.............Ray

Excellent! Was use of "bank letter" published somewhere and we missed it or just your experience with a recent renewal?

Have you done this more than once? Did you renew at BCR or Immigration? Was your letter from BNCR or HSBC? Do you suppose Immigration would also accept it?

We used this bank letter every time we renewed. Latest was last year - we're permanent now, so don't need it. As far as I know, almost every rentista uses this method.

The letter was generic, basically to whom it may concern, from BN. Renewing at BCR or immigration, they both accept the letter as proof - has to have all the right info (name, ID number, amount converted, proper "residency" dates, etc. ARCR has an example letter, available to members.)

You press a button and it displays a series of numbers. Before that, though, you still have to log in the usual way and then you will be asked for the llavero/a number. You may need to enter in other information to add to favorites - like your card number. Can't remember exactly - it's been a while, but have all your bank info handy, as it does time out.

Paul, is this keychain fob plugged into the computer like a USB thumb drive or does it have a button you press that generates a number you input into the online banking system?..........Ray

Ray, it is just a security token that generates a random number that you need to enter online when prompted. It doesn't plug into anything. When you push the button on the device, a number will display long enough for you to enter the digits on the BN website. Here is a photo of the token so you can visualize it.

post-3828-010159600 1289830694_thumb.jpg

Ray, it is just a security token that generates a random number that you need to enter online when prompted. It doesn't plug into anything. When you push the button on the device, a number will display long enough for you to enter the digits on the BN website. Here is a photo of the token so you can visualize it.

Thanks TxTita and Patty, they say a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case it sure sheds some light on the subject!!.................Ray