This rainy season is awful, isn't it? Or is it much worse in our 'neck'o'the woods'.

Mud everywhere and I have to sweep the floor 10 times a day, from what the dogs bring in... :( and I have just read it may keep up until Christmas!

Now, a benefit is that most plants are growing well, but others are dead due to the heavy saturation of rain.

On the bright side is that there are lots of beautiful Pitahaya or Dragonfruit blooms still appearing, resulting in a good crop of this delicious fruit that may not have tried here.

Blooms over a 24 hour period.

IMG_7410cr.jpg

IMG_7601cr.jpg

IMG_7615cr.jpg

Cut this one this morning, approx 1 month later the bloom opened.

Pitahayacr.jpg

Just thinking about this CRF as I ironed my clothes dry this morning. Dang! I think they have been on the clothesline for either three or four days so it was time to do something or else have to re-wash and start all over again. Not only did I have to iron, but I turned on my oven and dried a few that way.

It is so wet that my dog who never wants to be inside - is now curled up on her "bed" next to me. She has an outside little house on my porch with a good bed that she loves and can keep an eye on things but two of the neighborhood dogs want to commandeer and make it their own. I try to shoo them away "AFUERA!" and even throw a few small rocks at them but it doesn't do much good and then I have to say, "Not you, Alice" to my dog who gets all confused as to why I want her to leave. Of course, the little ones just creep back onto the porch while I am inside. I have just taken up my dog's outside bed so the little ones won't think it is theirs. Lest you think I am cruel - they have their own beds at their own house!! Imagine how I felt when I opened the door this morning to find two little dogs (not mine) curled up and asleep all comfy in my dog's house and on her bed and my dog curled up in the dirt of my planter box! Grrr.

My only consolations are: the rain is only temporary (though for how long is whole 'nother thang) and - those ironed clothes sure look good.

On the bright side is that there are lots of beautiful Pitahaya or Dragonfruit blooms still appearing, resulting in a good crop of this delicious fruit that may not have tried here.

Blooms over a 24 hour period.

Pitahayacr.jpg

How interesting! It so happens that just last night we were watching an episode of "Chopped" on the Food Network, which is a cooking challenge that includes incorporating unusual food items in a dish. One of the items was dragonfruit, which we had never seen or even heard of before. I made a mental note to look it up today on the computer. Your post just reminded me and now I can't wait to try one when we return to CR!

Whoa ! It's a monsoon this year. I feel like we're living in a submarine ! Everything in my house is soggy and damp and limp. I fire up our electric blanket to dry the bed out , my favorite investment ! Our dogs are bored to tears but won't get their feet wet. Our roads are now trails which are fast becoming 4 wheel drive only and i'm just waiting for local bridges to go down. There's very little in the stores to eat and you just have to eat whatever you can find. And read whatever you can find though I always scrounge books at every opportunity , not shy about it ! Everybody's getting stir crazy from cabin fever ! If predictions for rain until December are right we're all going to need therapy !

I hate to say I have been rather enjoying the rain. After 8 1/2 years in Southern California,where I never got rained on, I rather like it. I'm sure I'll change my mind after a while. Ha! Long as there's no snow I'm happy. Nice photos.

How interesting! It so happens that just last night we were watching an episode of "Chopped" on the Food Network, which is a cooking challenge that includes incorporating unusual food items in a dish. One of the items was dragonfruit, which we had never seen or even heard of before. I made a mental note to look it up today on the computer. Your post just reminded me and now I can't wait to try one when we return to CR!

I see them available in Florida in the better supermarket chains (e.g., Publix), but they are asking around $5 a pop, so I haven't succumbed.

Guess I oughtta buy one at AutoMercado while I'm here. It won't be cheap at AM, I know, but it will at least be fresh and not shipped in from who knows how far away.

¡Pura Pitahaya!

Paul M.

==

Sandy Feet I wasn't going to add the last photo but thought it would spark a visual ID on something that had seen at a feria here, as I don't think I have ever seen any in a store in Costa Rica.

The species we grow is Hylocereus costaricensis

They are supposed to be very popular in Colombia for breakfast instead of grapefruit. They are delicious, served cold from the fridge.

If you do find some, leave a few seeds in the 'skin' and rub it down a tree trunk or rock wall, and they will grow, quite large in fact, so watch out where you do this :unsure: We have many tiny ones growing on a 'branch' in my vivero. I would take a photo of it, if it wasn't so muddy in there... :P

Pam, we should organize 'somewhere' a book exchange'. I do have have a large supply but am presently re-reading a very old one by a favorite author, Dick Francis.

Edited by costaricafinca

I hate to say I have been rather enjoying the rain. After 8 1/2 years in Southern California,where I never got rained on, I rather like it. I'm sure I'll change my mind after a while. Ha! Long as there's no snow I'm happy. Nice photos.

Enjoy! At least its not the freezing cold rain from up north. The only problem I have had is getting caught in a down pour. I was SOAKED in about 15 seconds. So much for the so-called water-repellant jacket.

Dana

Enjoy! At least its not the freezing cold rain from up north. The only problem I have had is getting caught in a down pour. I was SOAKED in about 15 seconds. So much for the so-called water-repellant jacket.

Hey Dana,

You haven't been here long enough to 'thaw out' yet, have you?

Just wait. You will. And then you will feel chilly and start needing to wear longsleeved shirts, or sweaters, in the evenings!

I've been here -albeit on a six month annual basis- escaping from our west central Florida summer oven-like temperatures, and already, in this second year I feel chilly in the evenings in Alajuela. ...And with all this rain, it feels even more chilly.

I've been sleeping under a light blanket at night to block the chill. And sometimes I'll use one in the recliner in the afternoon when I'm reading. (And no, I don't have a thyroid problem.)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Our two big dogs love to go to 'work', which presently means digging ditches for diverting the water, hence lots of mud to walk through and the two little ones who have to go with my hubby to see check the progress, have such short legs that their bellies and feet are filthy....

Carol...you don't have pets yet, do you.... :rolleyes:

Edited by costaricafinca

Ohhhh. So many comments I could comment on ;)

Iron? Oven? Wish I had one or the other! But, alas, we arrived with 4 suitcases weighing in at 48 & 49 lbs each without such luxuries. So my laundry, which I optimistically (and foolishly) washed during a brief respite of patchy blue skies, is still hanging here and there: under a shelter in the yard, on a line on the balcony, and in the spare bedroom with a fan blowing on them. If we don't get a break soon, I'll be borrowing a friend's dryer.

The same friend who owns the dryer told us months ago that September & October are the wettest months of the year. We kept wondering what that actually meant. I guess we can stop wondering. (And yes, I understand this is an unusual year.)

I bought boots this morning (but not the yellow rubber ones with the smiley face umbrella my daughter in Texas recommended).

We're making a list of items to add to our "bring back list" to help make us more comfortable next year.

Most importantly, we're taking it all in good stride, although we feel so badly for the folks whose houses have been flooded or demolished by mud slides and are awestruck to think that so much water can fall in one place.

No doubt our sunny outlook has something to do with the fact that we go back to the Arizona desert next Tuesday and don't have to tough it out - this year ;)

Cheers!

Teri

Our two big dogs love to go to 'work', which presently means digging ditches for diverting the water, hence lots of mud to walk through and the two little ones who have to go with my hubby to see check the progress, have such short legs that their bellies and feet are filthy....

Carol...you don't have pets yet, do you.... :rolleyes:

Yes I do CRF. I have my 2nd Gecko living in my house. Very little upkeep except sometimes they startle me suddenly. Ha! I hope 1 is not male & the other female.

Yes I do CRF. I have my 2nd Gecko living in my house. Very little upkeep except sometimes they startle me suddenly. Ha! I hope 1 is not male & the other female.

Geckos are definitely good pets to have around if you're not too fond of bugs. A happily mated pair could be even better ;)

Teri

Paul - had to laugh at your FL price for dragon fruit. Bought one at AM the other day (red, big - size of a grapefruit), and it was over $4! And the golden ones are more than twice as expensive as the red ones :unsure:

But they sure are yummy...