Here's my input of the Southern Pacific Zone:

Uvita is the utilitarian area of the Southern Zone. It has the banks, the grocery stores, hardware stores, gas station etc. but lacks the cool vibe of Dominical.

There are plenty of internet providers available but you pay a price for higher speeds to be sure and your location may only allow for certain companies and not others. Higher speeds are found near the highway and it goes down from there.

Prices are higher for things as already mentioned as this is a coastal area. All coastal areas face the same problem.

There are lots of gringos and a new bi-lingual school coming soon with a smaller temporary one already here. Most gringos live in between many of these towns or up in the mountains behind them. I get by without ever having to speak a lick of spanish although I do have a bit of spanish as well if needed. Spanish tutors are inexpensive as well.

Crime is growing with the improved road but so is the police presence and the local CAP group who is trying to mitigate and stop it. (Crime, Awareness and Prevention). Most of the criminals caught are from San Jose, the Northern Zone and Guanacaste. They are just taking advantage of a newly accessible area. It's still not as bad here as many areas. Being accessible only by 4x4 has very little to do with how safe or unsafe a location is. Unfortunately, this is a gringo way of looking at a problem that does not exist for criminals.

Dominical, just a bit North of Uvita, is more sleepy still, has a cooler vibe and has some night life and lots of restaurants. Crime here is actually lower due to more police and a heavy anti-crime reputation. Dominical and it's local suburbs (for lack of a better term) however are a bit more expensive and so is the real estate.

Ojochal is a bit south and has several very good restaurants. Supposedly some of the best rated in CR depending upon what books you read. This area is a bit less expensive than Uvita and Dominical in terms of real estate and dining out as it gets a bit less traffic. This town and Playa Ventanas have a fair bit of gringos as well with more of a French Canadian influence.

As far as properties I don't believe the prices are rising yet anywhere in this zone. Some areas are more expensive then others but it depends upon location, views, reputation etc. Prices are either stagnant or falling slightly overall and may or may not be negotiable though depending upon who you are dealing with and their understanding of the current world economic conditions. As anywhere in CR, do your homework and come see what you are looking at before you part with any money.

This whole zone is a bit removed from the rest of CR and has a slow pace of life. That may sound good but living in it has it's advantages and disadvantages to be sure. (What I see as an advantage, my wife sees otherwise so your mileage may vary). :D

Hope this helps.

There is always a airport in Quepos, which is 45 minutes from Uvita.

Good point.

There are also small medical facilities in the following locations:

San Isidro (45 minutes away), Quepos (30-45 Minutes away) and Cortez (30-45 minutes away).

There are vets, doctors, labs and plenty of pharmacies in the zone for less serious things as well.

Thanks for your complete analysis of the area. I understand your expression of gringo thinking that 4x4 will protect you. Your right they'll carry things out one piece at a time. Looking at land prices lots in the Dominical area are cheaper than in Uvita. I am looking at lots in the mountains with an ocean view. I am looking at 2 developments owned by gringos in Uvita and they will finance the land purchase. I don't think the Ticos know what means.

So far as quiet - that's what we like. The beach would be for visitors and kids. We have a horse, and are looking at lots 2-4 acres. We're not bringing the horse unless we moved full time, but we like privacy.

Thanks for your advice.

Pura Vida

Thanks for your complete analysis of the area. I understand your expression of gringo thinking that 4x4 will protect you. Your right they'll carry things out one piece at a time. Looking at land prices lots in the Dominical area are cheaper than in Uvita. I am looking at lots in the mountains with an ocean view. I am looking at 2 developments owned by gringos in Uvita and they will finance the land purchase. I don't think the Ticos know what means.

So far as quiet - that's what we like. The beach would be for visitors and kids. We have a horse, and are looking at lots 2-4 acres. We're not bringing the horse unless we moved full time, but we like privacy.

Thanks for your advice.

Pura Vida

If you want you can send me the information on the two gringo owned developments. I might have some insight and feedback I can provide to you. It's a small community.

Odd you are finding cheaper lots in Dominical than Uvita. Make sure what is marketed as Dominical is actually in Dominical. Many aren't and are on the others side of the bridge towards Hatillo or up the road towards Perez. Once you filter those out, Uvita prices are generally better. Watch the -ito on the end of Domincal as well.

As far as the beaches are concerned that is where a lot of the crime is so be careful there with your kids and your guests. This goes for most beaches unfortunately whether here or anywhere in CR.

We are working to change that, but it's slow and frustrating at times. Progress is being made though! :D