I have been looking at property in Uvita on the internet. I will be coming to CR in November with my family. I see there is land with owner financing - allowing me to build later with no large money commitment up front. I see they have built a new hospital in the area. I like to be in the mountains and have an ocean view. This area seems perfect for that. I would like to here others opinion on this area. It seems prices are low, but slowly rising. Thanks.

Edited by FLB2

I think Uvita is worth looking at. As of a few months ago, you can now drive on good roads from Uvita all the way to San Jose, and the major areas in Guanacaste. It is a fairly quiet area, and the only real town/city is up in Quepos, ~40 minutes drive on new road. Uvita has two major CR banks, and at least two good restaurants, and two good supermarkets.

One thing you'll need to consider is the noise from the PanAmerican Highway that runs through the Uvita area. There is a more or less constant flow of large trucks going to/from Panama (90k to the south), so if you want quiet, you'll need to be at least 1k from the road, and as you go higher up in the hills that distance needs to increase.

The weather is more humid than you will find as you go northward. The beaches in the area offer a wide variety of landscape. You'll find everything from gravel rock beach, to perfect sand, surf-able waves, to areas with virtually no waves at all, and hardly any people at all of the beaches. And you will be less than an hour's drive/bus ride from some of the nicest beaches in CR up in Manuel Antonio.

I recommend the 3-year old Aparthotel just south of Uvita. We paid ~$60/night last month for a nice room with ac, wi-fi, nice pool, in-room jacuzzi tub, full kitchen, and the room was large enough for 4 beds.

Edited by ciclista

From what I have read, there is increased crime in this area, due to the 'new road'.

Can you point us specifically to where we can read about this? The link only went to a website with many pages.

Timothy had mentioned that since the new road had been opened, increased crime was seen both in Dominical and Uvita, although he did say that there was more police around now. This was before his more recent post where robbers had tried to break down his neighbors door.

A newsite

Edited by costaricafinca

I've read his website it is very complete. It stands to reason when a newly paved road (which seems rare in CR) there will be more people traveling it hence more crime. I think no crime to some crime is not a concern. I am looking at properties in the mountains where you need a 4x4 to enter the property. My question is about the investment value of this area and quiet lifestyle. I know they built the Hospital de Osa in the immediate area and are working on making the Palmar Norte Airport an international airport. So I like that the beaches are quiet now and that the infrastructure will improve in the future.

Edited by FLB2

There was an article today on another website, saying that this airport 'has been discarded...'

FLB2 You mention 'that paved newly roads are rare' here, which leads to believe that you haven't visited Costa Rica, as of yet, as the roads have been greatly improved with yellow lines and 'reflectors' as well.

You need to check out what utilities...before you purchase anything... are available in the area, as phone/internet service may be a problem.

Thanks, your right about the roads. I'm renting an SUV from San Jose and I will be driving on all new roads to Uvita. I see that bigger developments have utilities with wifi. Do you usually get internet connection with satellite cable TV? Are most of the phones I call for small hotels cell phones or hard wired? I agree that buying a vacant lot alone will require a lot of research. I am looking at developments with 10 to 70 lots.

I just read the article about the airport in the southern district. It says it will allow private planes to land there. All I need to do is buy a plane!!!! I bookmarked the site as it has a lot of good information. How long did it take for the Liberia Airport to be built with tourism increasing? It seems to be a catch 22 more expansion more infrastructure. And yes this will be my first visit to Costa Rica. Last year we were in Panama in November-now Costa Rica. My family is excited. Thanks for your input. I'm glad I found this site.

Timothy had mentioned that since the new road had been opened, increased crime was seen both in Dominical and Uvita, although he did say that there was more police around now. This was before his more recent post where robbers had tried to break down his neighbors door.

A newsite

We spent a day in Dominical a year ago, and went there again a month ago. This year it looked very, very different to me. We went there planning to stay overnight and enjoy the beach but after driving around the beach parking area we left for Uvita.

I think Uvita (now)looks and feels very different from Dominical. Uvita has always had a good road towards the south. The new road makes Dominical and Uvita more accessible from the north, and I think Dominical would appear to be more appealing to thieves than Uvita.

When we first visited Costa Rica the Liberia airport was under construction, so this was about 18 years ago. It is now getting ready to expand.

I have read that internet connection in this area is often 'unavailable'. Many developments sites on the web have often stated erroneous facts...

There are many 'developments' on the coast that have shut down.

I would advise you to post a specific post regarding Internet connection in the area you are interested in, on the 'Communications, Technology and The Internet in Costa Rica' forum.

If you are moving here with a school age children, you really need to check out schools, first.

I'll repost my question on internet questions. I have school age kids. I was in Panama last year looking at properties and schools. One item that came up was 99% of the kids end up going to the states for college. So it doesn't make any sense to move while kids are in high school. That's why I want to buy a lot and build later. I would probably spend US winters in CR and go from there once kids are in college. By the way the one developer I have been talking to on the phone in Uvita is talking to me through Skpe - so he most have an internet connection. Thanks.

FLB2 I'll tell you our local Uvita living experience. My Husband and I recently bought a 1.25 ac lot 5 minutes south of Uvita with my In-laws, we plan to start building soon. My Husband and I have been living in this area since June, renting first in Baru and now in Ojochal. Uvita has all the local necessities, there are 2 large supermarkets, a gas station, 3 banks, numerous restaurants, etc. Prices here for everyday items are not as cheap as larger towns, so we stock up on items from San Isidro/Palmar/the frontera. There have been a few recent insidents of crime, robberies to be more specific, these have mainly been crimes of oportunity, places that are easy for the criminals to escape. Or they have been crimes caused by employers not paying their workers. There is a ever growing police presence in the areas between Dominical and Ojochal. Uvita is a spanish speaking town, althought there are a large number of expats so you can "get by" on english, but spanish will only enlarge your experience here. It takes 2 hours to drive to Panama, 3 or so to San Jose. The beaches here are some of the best we have experienced! The views here can be amazing!

When you look at properties consider the condition of the roads, the utilities that already run to the land. If you are considering a property I highly suggest visiting during a rainier month because water management on a property is very important here. The prices of property are slowly going up, its no longer the bottom of the bottom. If you want a view, you will have to pay for it. These days you are looking at anywhere from $50,000 and up for a property of decent size.

I suggest coming down to check things out soon and see if this is a place you would want to live. It is beautiful here but that doesn't mean it is free from problems, far from in in fact. A good mechanic is hard to find in this area.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

As far as I can tell about the airport, the original plans to build between Palmar Sur and Sierpe seems to be on hold. There is talk of expanding the Palmar Sur airport by 400m to accept larger planes. Only time will tell.