Hello Everyone

This may clear up some confusion about owning a firearm in Costa Rica.

Costa Rica Self-Defense

When it comes to firearms; everything from the types

allowed to whom can possess, own, purchase, import

and carry these weapons with an appropriate license

is regulated by the Ministry of Public Security's

Department of Control of Weapons and Explosives

Law #7530.

Ministerio de Seguridad Pública, Departamento

de Control de Armas y Explosivos Ley 7530.

Disclaimer: This document, Bill Clanton, Costa Rica

Firearms, CostaRicaFirearms.com, Costa Rica

Blogger, CostaRicaBlogger.com and any associated

entities are not attorneys and do not provide legal

advice. Information provided is believed to be true

and correct at the time of publication. Consult with a

licensed Costa Rica attorney or the proper Costa

Rica government authorities for all opinions

regarding Law #7530, self-defense, property defense,

firearms, weapons or any other related matters.

Ley 7530

If Costa Rica is "paradise" and a

`pacifist nation', then why are we

discussing self-defense?

Simple: Bad guys like good victims.

Ley 7530

Costa Rica's firearms Law #7530

is regulated by the Ministerio de

Seguridad Pública, Departamento

de Control de Armas y Explosivos

Possession of most personal self-defense items

other than firearms is legal without the need for a

license or permit.

Products such as pepper spray, collapsible batons,

stun guns, Tasers, and other commercial selfdefense

devices are available for purchase by the

general public from a variety of Costa Rica

specialty stores called "armerías".

Early in the year 2010 there were some significant

changes to Ley 7530 that will affect many

foreigners (or "extranjeros") and their ability to own

firearms.

The most important changes in 2010 to the Costa

Rica gun laws for foreign residents are:

• Only Citizens or Permanent Residents

can own firearms.

o A resident's cédula must be

designated "libre conditión".

o No longer can non-residents own

firearms as an officer of a Costa Rica

corporation.

o No longer can non-permanent

residents such as those of

Pensionado, Rentista, Inversionista

or Representante status own firearms

for even home or office protection.

• All firearm license applicants must be

Fingerprinted.

• All firearm license applicants must

provide an Attorney Affidavit showing

cause for the need to own or carry a firearm

in Costa Rica.

To be clear: Non-Permanent Residents cannot have

a gun for any purpose (ningún, nada, no exceptions)

© Costa Rica Firearms | CostaRicaFirearms.com

I think it's a shame that so many from the US want to bring handguns into Costa Rica. I would hate to see this country become a junior version of the murder capital of the world.

I think it's a shame that so many from the US want to bring handguns into Costa Rica. I would hate to see this country become a junior version of the murder capital of the world.

ERVALL, I think that is an inaccurate observation. I do think (believe) someone who owned a gun in the US or other country would want to have the same choice to do so in CR if they become PR. I would also venture to opine that most guns brought by US transplants are not responsible for a significant number of "murders", BUT they are probably a significant defense against people who would rob, beat & steal or worse.

This may sound like a generalization but, many of those who feel like you do have never been at the business end of a gun....or the other end for that matter....If and when you are in the position where a legal gun owner is in the right place at the time you will be glad they had the training and perseverance to have it on them...

I realize this may also be a dead horse, but most towns that are "armed" have much less violent crime...

edit...found it...http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/fbi-crime-stats-show-an-armed-public-is-a-safer-public/

If you were thinking of robbing a person...or robbing a home...and you knew there is a good chance the person was armed or the homeowner was armed...would you still make the same choice??

Edited by Kaisadad

Not sure where some of you get your information from... The US is nowhere near the murder capital of the world. In fact, CR has surpassed the US in that regard for some time now.

People perpetuating these kind of lies is what scares me. :(

Do you want a real example of home defense by an expat with a gun?

Last week two armed men were trying to barge into a homeowners door at night just down the hill from my house. They were having difficulty getting the door down but were making progress with crowbars. As they were attempting this, the homeowner was yelling at them through the door in spanish to stop and leave as he was armed and he would shoot. They did not comply.

The thieves continued to pry their way through the door and fearing for his life and that of his wife he shot through the door. He struck one in the leg and one in the "groin region". The criminal with the leg wound got away and the criminal with the "groin wound" was picked up at the hospital.

After making it through critical condition, the criminal under guard in the hospital managed to escape, which to my dismay I just found out today. So both are loose although one is missing something of value much as Lance Armstrong is (albeit for different reasons).

Like Kaisdad said, you have probably never been in such a situation.

Shall I continue?

Do you want to hear about the three violent home invasions last month just 15 minutes south of me? Where one man was tied up and tortured for 3 hours?

How about the well respected owner of [redacted] reality in Quepos who was tied up several days ago at gunpoint in his home and robbed?

I can go on... I understand some people are against firearms. But don't perpetuate information that is not true while doing it. Please.

The pro and anti gun argument will probably go on forever. For every story about a gun saving the day, there is probably another of a drunken argument escalating or a terrible accident that can be made on the other side. If a thief thinks that you own a gun would he want to steal it when you aren't home?

One statement that misses an important point is that "it's a shame that US citizens who want to bring their guns can't." This is not the US and we have to live by the Costa Rican laws, whether we agree with them or not. I understand the pro-gun sentiment, but think it is a moot point.

Giovanna Barrantes thanks for your information.

While we did, as a Rentista and through a SA purchase 'arms' in the past, are you now saying, that it is now illegal for us to have them?

Or just not allowed to purchase more?

Do we have to go down this path again--we have spent way too many electrons in the past and all we get are heated arguments on both sides of the issue. I know, I know, I don't have to read the posts, but unless there is something new to say like the helpful summary from Giovanna and future changes in regulations, how about putting a lid on it this time ??

Do we have to go down this path again--we have spent way too many electrons in the past and all we get are heated arguments on both sides of the issue. ... unless there is something new to say like the helpful summary from Giovanna and future changes in regulations, how about putting a lid on it this time ??

This topic has been relocated to The Open Forum. But like sectorbets, I tend to agree that by rehashing this particular topic we are only replowing previously-tilled eearth.

Also, while most of the info in the first post of this thread is from the CR Govt, please note that the last line of the 'Self Defense' info about firearms ownership reads:

"© Costa Rica Firearms | CostaRicaFirearms.com"

showing its actual provider.

Regards,

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

Do we have to go down this path again--we have spent way too many electrons in the past and all we get are heated arguments on both sides of the issue. I know, I know, I don't have to read the posts, but unless there is something new to say like the helpful summary from Giovanna and future changes in regulations, how about putting a lid on it this time ??

Agreed. Nobody's minds are going to change.

Hand guns don't kill people. People kill people. There is no correlation between the right to bare arms and the intent to murder.

the right to bare arms.

If you are presently living in the USA this is so under our US Constitution but DOES NOT apply here in Costa Rica.

Edited by tibas9

"Hand guns don't kill people. People kill people." With Handguns, shotguns, rifles, knives, baseball bats, etc.

The only thing is, is that having a gun makes it so much easier, so as long as people have guns, people will get killed with guns.

Or knives, baseball bats, etc....

DJ

Giovanna Barrantes thanks for your information.

While we did, as a Rentista and through a SA purchase 'arms' in the past, are you now saying, that it is now illegal for us to have them?

Or just not allowed to purchase more?

according to CostaRicaFirearms.com story Costa Rica Gun Ownership as a Non-Permanent Resident

"Only Citizens or Permanent Residents can own PISTOLS

• A resident's cédula must be designated "libre condición".
  • No longer can non-residents own handguns as an officer of a Costa Rica corporation.
  • No longer can non-permanent residents such as those of Pensionado, Rentista, Inversionista or Representante status own handguns for even home or office protection.

But, this IS Costa Rica [so please read on]

New Gun Options for Non-Permanent Residents

Many non-permanent residents and non-residents have previously owned weapons through the old law and still have Costa Rica registered handguns in their possessions under the name of their corporations.

Although the new law will no longer allow these guns to be kept in places of business, according to our advising attorney there is no restriction on keeping the existing registered guns within the persons home or domicile.

In other words, if the handguns were already registered before the new rules took effect they can still be kept within the persons home and property because the registration does not expire on either the guns or the corporations.

As for new gun ownership; non-permanent residents and non-residents still have an opportunity – but it is currently restricted to long-guns that must remain in your home and on your property.

The new procedure would be similar to the old process of buying or importing a rifle, carbine, or shotgun in the name of a Costa Rica corporation. The registration would be in the name of the corporation and the new required attorney affidavit would state use of the gun was for sport or hunting purposes on your own property."