Lunja

Meeting the US military "humanitarians"

Well Paul ... that's kind of my point.

There's been a big deal made about how much aid was given to Costa Rica but these pallets of things and the money -- where did it all go? I just wonder, that's all. Over the years, I have seen many donations to various places that were entirely inappropriate or possibly that specific item wasn't needed but something else was. Also - just wonder about the money donation - did it go to an arm of the government, another NGO in Costa Rica, was it spread out over many things, etc etc. (Couldn't find anything specific on the website which is basically a Navy news website.) There are several very worthy efforts going on in the Talamanca area and I really hope that they have received some benefit.

A good example is the water filters that Paul mentioned. Good idea.... but ... when the water filter needs to be "recharged," or replaced, where will this come from? Maybe someone has figured this out and found a way around it.

Kenn, I had made a comment but I deleted it rather than get into a rambling match. Based on a historical review of your posts I see that it is quite pointless.

Funny, I've done that more than once with a certain individual. What can you say, some people believe what they want to believe no matter how far fetched or outlandish it is.

Anyway, gotta run, there's a black helicopter flying overhead!

:ph34r:

Anyway, gotta run, there's a black helicopter flying overhead!

:ph34r:

No worries Timothy. The helicopter is only there to distribute more pamphlets filled with lies and propaganda about how the FARC is different from the US military. ;)

Well, I wrote a long and very erudite reply - but - I hit the wrong key somehow and it went bye bye. So this will have to do.

While I agree with Kenn's stance many times on the US military, I think that a mother in the Talamanca area living in poverty with a marginally healthy child would welcome any and all assistance and not really care at all where it comes from or have any knowledge of the politics involved. And I don't think that poor, uneducated people are stupid enough to think that someone giving them that help is just some kind of perfect angel. They are not that naive.

A Costa Rican neighbor of mine had cataracts in both eyes and went to Venezuela to get them done - for free, all expenses paid. Was this a propaganda move? Of course. Did he care? Of course not. Heck, I would have gone if they would have me!!

I really have a lot of trouble with this stance that concludes that just because a machine, device, mode of transport, ship, or whatever was designed for a military purpose means that it is used only for that purpose. ...

The US military invented GPS and insect repellents with DEET. The US military also developed much of the protocols and mechanisms for what we now refer to as "the internet". The US military has also provided substantial funding and testing for those mechanisms that get airplanes and helicopters off the ground. yadda, yadda, yadda...

Pretty much all you can say about that is that your tax dollars went for something more than just bullets and grenades. These developments don't make the military good or bad. Just with lots of R&D money.

This topic, while interesting, seems to bring out the worst in otherwise rational members and is deteriorating into making comments that are neither productive nor add anything. The topic of the US military and its role seem to often make people a bit crazy, and then it degrades into sniping at other folks intelligence and their motives. In reality, two sane and otherwise bright people can look at any topic and come up with 100% divergent opinions. That is when stuff starts getting nasty... and we do not allow nasty.

I have modified one post and may modify one or two others to make them less offensive and less "personal".

I am also closing this topic as it has clearly run the course and I cannot imagine any of the participants changing their positions.