Lunja

Meeting the US military "humanitarians"

Just an interesting tidbit - my friends were staying at the Hilton Garden in Liberia waiting for their flight out the next day - they were sitting in the bar having a couple of brews when this guy blew into the bar from the pool area - saying. "Oh my #&$@#! you are speaking *^&_#*$ English! I am so glad to hear *&%#^ English. Yep, the guy was toasted. Then his equally toasted buddy comes in and they go on and on about getting to hear English. Long story short these fine specimens were from the US military stationed in CR - they went on to explain they were here for the war on drugs. To help CR nab the drugs and the bad guys. Any humanitarian aide was 2nd. I only wish they had filmed this encounter.

There CO came in and off the numb ones went . . . . :ph34r:

true story

Just an interesting tidbit - my friends were staying at the Hilton Garden in Liberia waiting for their flight out the next day - they were sitting in the bar having a couple of brews when this guy blew into the bar from the pool area - saying. "Oh my #&$@#! you are speaking *^&_#*$ English! I am so glad to hear *&%#^ English. Yep, the guy was toasted. Then his equally toasted buddy comes in and they go on and on about getting to hear English. Long story short these fine specimens were from the US military stationed in CR - they went on to explain they were here for the war on drugs. To help CR nab the drugs and the bad guys. Any humanitarian aide was 2nd. I only wish they had filmed this encounter.

There CO came in and off the numb ones went . . . . :ph34r:

true story

Part of the culture of warriors! Their language of business. Consider that when one is confined to a ship for 60 - 90 days, and are going stir crazy, this is going to happen! When they are being shot at, killed, being blown up by IED's, stuck on an aircraft carrier for months, one turns the corner and is never the same! Thank God we have these guys defending us!!!! Respectfully

I think that to say this behavior is "standard operating procedure" for military people is doing the military people a disservice. Yes, there are people who behave this way and speak this way but there are those who don't, who are respectful and polite and enjoy spending time in Costa Rica.

My son is a veteran of Iraq and neither he nor I consider his time there anything to do with protecting me or the country. He went because he was ordered to do so, was shot at, etc etc, won a Bronze Star in the process.

The behavior described in the original post is not appropriate, considering the setting, no matter what they have been through or done or not done. No excuse.

No, I don't think these guys belong to the Iwo Jima, but are part of another 'deployment' here, since we have seen groups of them at the airport in Liberia, long before the ship arrived in Limon.

Oh, they were US Military. One was a "safety officer" and one of his jobs was to help the CR police learn how to repel out of a helicopter. They did get a bit more appropriate in their behavior when they were told that one of my friends was a retired army nurse that had served a stint in Vietnam. They also tucked tail with their petite CO walked into the bar and called them out.

There were others in the bar area, including CR hotel staff that heard them being rude and obnoxious.

I'm just saying. . . .

I think that to say this behavior is "standard operating procedure" for military people is doing the military people a disservice. Yes, there are people who behave this way and speak this way but there are those who don't, who are respectful and polite and enjoy spending time in Costa Rica.

My son is a veteran of Iraq and neither he nor I consider his time there anything to do with protecting me or the country. He went because he was ordered to do so, was shot at, etc etc, won a Bronze Star in the process.

The behavior described in the original post is not appropriate, considering the setting, no matter what they have been through or done or not done. No excuse.

Time there had nothing to do with protecting the country? This statement is very puzzling!! Respecttfully

His time in Iraq had nothing to do with protecting the US. Puzzling? It would take a long conversation over multiple beers or coffees to do justice to this topic which really has nothing to do with the original post. This is a discussion that goes very deep for most and can be quite emotional and even ugly at times. So I will just pass on that discussion and leave it to others.

Really I was just trying to emphasize that there is no excuse for the bad behavior shown by the military people at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Andy, I wasn't trying to stir things up - just adding an interesting bit of color to the day. It was just a factual observation. And I am petite myself - I was trying to illustrate that their CO was powerful but tiny in stature.

As CRF says - there are jerks everywhere (including this forum). :lol:

I used to be snow white but I drifted - - Mae West.

I guess I'll join the fray with a little story or two...

At 18 years old I was stationed in Berlin, Germany during my time in the Army. Legally able to drink for the first time, I took advantage of it as often as I could and was probably more than "a little" obnoxious on many an occasion. What can I say, I was young, immature and cocky.

After I was out of the service, I went back and lived in Berlin for almost two more years. I immersed myself in the language, learned the culture and lived in a home with other Germans. At 22 years old I was a much different person and I distinctly recall sitting on the U-bahn one day watching some young immature US and British soldiers act as drunken fools and I realized that had been me.

It was an interesting awakening. They didn't even attempt to talk to me as I had long-ish hair and was speaking German with a young lady. However, it was what it was and I didn't look down upon the US or Britiain but rather laughed at their immaturity. I'm sure they are respectable adults today with 9-5's and bills and...

I wasn't a bad person at 18 nor at 22. I was just young and immature and I grew up. Not much to read into it really. Using some drunken kids as an example for something bigger really has no merit.

To debate and discuss theories and things like this are a waste of time but I suppose people enjoy doing it. I know I get caught up in it too from time to time but for me there are real issues to contend with.

Yesterday for example, I had a Uzi pointed at me, my wife and little boy. Although it was in the hands of the police, there were three violent criminals between us and him so if they had made a move and he had opened fire... "bala perdida"...

I could go on but I won't. This is real and this is what concerns me.

Now, back to your discussion. :huh:

Edited by timothy

Timothy, I cannot express what I felt after reading your post! I am so upset. I know you had become fearful, and I had wondered whether you had already left the country.

What you went through, is indeed, much more important and shocking, than perceived wrongdoing of stupid acts done by drunk individuals.

Continue to take care.

Patricia

I really have no dog in this hunt. And we should all be able to voice an opinion or observation without being courtmarshalled. With that said, I only used the term "humanitarian" because that is what I was led to believe was the purpose of the US presence in CR. Maybe they are doing both?

And WOW, Timothy. How terribly frightening an experience - glad it didn't turn out worse.