We have given up on finding things like open mikes, but have had fun and some success at having "music parties" - basically inviting people to our place for an evening of music. Haven't done it recently, and you do take a chance on your judgment, asking people you just met...

You might post/check for bulletin boards at music stores and schools.

We have given up on finding things like open mikes, but have had fun and some success at having "music parties" - basically inviting people to our place for an evening of music. Haven't done it recently, and you do take a chance on your judgment, asking people you just met...

You might post/check for bulletin boards at music stores and schools.

Thanks for the reply. What instruments and kind of musics do you play? We were in Costa Rica this past March. We didn't have wi-fi where we were staying and my grand daughter simply needed MSN messenger so we drove in to Orotina every afternoon. While she is keeping in contact with her friends I sat on a park bench in their central square and played my mandolin, wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get. I found most Ticos stand offish, however one gentleman sat down listened we had a fairly long conversation most of which I didn't understand because I do not speak Spanish. Anyway we surmised that he taught school and that he wanted me to drop in at this high school. I brought my grand daughter along, she plays some mean celtic fiddle. On arrival we found an interpreter and the guy was actually a music teacher. I figured I would go into a music class and demo a mandolin. We were asked to have a seat in the lobby area and all of a sudden the speakers, microphones, etc started coming out. They shut down classes for about an hour and we did a concert. Reminded me about those Labatt's beer commercials back "Out of the Blue". Fun or what. I also talked to some resort people at places we stayed and asked about playing in dining rooms and bars in the evenings. Most were open to that but you would be playing for tips.

Hi Brian -

My husband plays guitar and banjo, mainly blues and folk, often his own compositions. After a drink or two, I sing :huh:

We have a friend at Berklee who plays mandolin, and has stayed several summers in a town in Italy that has multiple mandolin schools - impromptu concerts all over the place.

We have done almost exactly what the fellow in the park did with you! If we see someone with a guitar strapped to his back, or the topic of music floats over to us in a restaurant, we nearly accost the fellow and pull together an afternoon of music - altho much less formal than your experience. It is a little harder (for us) to do this in San José - for some reason, big cities do that. We took more chances in Orosi and Alajuela; also at that time we were more mobile, less settled.

I know there are a few other musicians on this forum - maybe they will post their experiences too?

Sounds like you had a grand time!

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy,

My wife and are I are interested in moving to CR. I am a musician and repair instruments. Are there be any opportunities for gigs in CR. Would love to hear from other musicians too.

It probably depends upon exactly what you do. In general, gigging is a lost cause in CR. You can do it, but the pay is incredibly low. Most gringos who do it pass the hat and get a free bar tab, plus go semi-solo with an Ipod or the like. There is very rarely enough money to pay a full band. If you do instrument repair, it probably depends upon the instrument and you. Guitar shops abound, and labor rates are low.

I'm a retired drummer who has yet to be lured back into the business. I would enjoy it, but when I calculate the costs I realize that I would almost have to pay to play, or at best break even. The singer/guitarists can do solo gigs with recorded background and come out ahead, but we sidemen are goners.