Why is it that when I read all of the blogs on Costa Rica everything is Pura Vida, but when I read the English speaking newpapers they say that CR is like the Wild West to where everyone is packing a gun ? I don't know what to believe ? Is it just a certain area of CR or do you have to pack a gun every where you go.

Thanks Fred

Truth be told I've come to learn that most of the people I know have a firearm of some sort in the house. However, I can't think of one person that actually carries one on the street save the Tico cops I've come to know. (I suppose the criminals do but since I don't know any criminals I can't say with honesty if they carry or not...).

I know several people who have the right to carry via a carry permit but they don't carry on a day to day basis if that answers your question. It's not that bad in any place a law abiding gringo would choose to live or go. (Having one in the home is a different story though).

Also, as far as packing heat wherever you go, unless you are a permanent resident or you had the carry permit prior to recent changes in the law you can't purchase or carry a firearm anymore anyway so that option is moot. I don't know your situation.

Now, YMMV and I can only speak for the area in which I live and of course I am not including armed security guards who's job it is to carry.

The firearm laws are here if you want to learn about them.

Edited by timothy

I've lived in NJ and NY and have had a carry permit longer than I can remember, but just because I have it doesn't mean that I have ever used it. You will find far more armed guards in CR than what you see in the States, but then you will also see far fewer armed cops, so it probably balances out. Having said that, I worked for Prudential in the late 80's and was always amused that there were armed guards in the parking lot and on every floor in the HQ building in Newark--not unlike what you will see in CR

That's a good question. The reality depends upon where you live, just as it does in any country.

I lived in a peaceful town in California, but there were places within 10 miles of me where i would not live. Now i live in a rural area near a small town in CR. i have only been here a short time but have met people who have lived here longer. they say this is one of the safest places to live. In the past year they can recall only one robbery and that was a jewelry store. People on the street and the shops are very friendly. I still use common sense on buses and in large crowds, but feel completely at ease and safe.

I read the national paper, La Nation. There are stories about murders, gangs, and concerns about rising violence. These are facts of life that are no different from the U.S. The volume doesn't seem to be any greater than what i found in the LA Times.

I am sure that there are areas in Costa Rica where there is a greater threat and gringos can be a more likely target. let's face it, if you were a bad guy would you break in to the mansion on the beach or the gardener's shack.

The pro-gun anti-gun argument will go on forever. Some people are convinced that their lives are in peril and will insist that they must be able to defend themselves. For the few who have been victims of crimes, it's understandable. For the others the threat may be real or perceived.

Don't let fear keep you from living your life, but do know your area and get the real information you need to make an informed decision.

Tom

"Is it just a certain area of CR or do you have to pack a gun every where you go."

Answering this question is a little like "What's the weather like in Costa Rica." mixed with "Have you stopped beating your wife?" There are no areas where people carry guns more than any other. A person's decision to carry a gun is a personal one and has to do with their own situation, fears, needs, location rather than anything else. If you are talking about carrying a gun as opposed to having a gun in your home, that's a different thing.

If you read the newspapers of Costa Rica, they will sound - just as Tom said - like any newspaper in the US: violence, murders, robberies, etc. But is that the real nature of anyplace? No. Most of the crime in Costa Rica centers around petty theft - pickpockets, stealing from hotel rooms or your house. Some number of people have guns in their homes, both Costa Ricans and North Americans. Of course, you can read the stories in the newspaper about children being accidentally shot by these guns also.

There is no doubt that there is a crime problem in Costa Rica and the new Presidenta is making some effort to address it. Just like anywhere else, there is no simple answer and all the answers cost money. But Wild West? No. I live in a rural area of Costa Rica where there is very little crime and it is certainly possible to find these places all over the country.

Thanks everyone for your prespective on this subject. It was very informative. Please go to Expar Focus.com and see what Carole Hill has to say about firearms in CR and then get back to me .

Thanks, Fred

OK, I am sure you meant expatfocus.com - so was your original question sincere or are you just trying to steer people to this website? And we are supposed to check this website and get back to you? Well..... no thanks.

OK, I am sure you meant expatfocus.com - so was your original question sincere or are you just trying to steer people to this website? And we are supposed to check this website and get back to you? Well..... no thanks.

Agreed, seems like fishing to me. The laws are clear, (at least for the moment), and a link was provided to him.

Thanks everyone for your prespective on this subject. It was very informative. Please go to Expar Focus.com and see what Carole Hill has to say about firearms in CR and then get back to me .

Fred,

I, like one other member posting to this thread, was wondering why we should read the external site you recommended and then 'get back to you'.

I would suggest that rather than have you direct our Members to an external website away from the Forums for this info, we'd prefer that you elaborate on it here yourself, on the Forums. Otherwise it tends to seem as if you might be shilling for the other site, which I looked at and saw that it really does not have much if anything to do with Costa Rica. Truth be told, it looks more like a commercial site to me.

Also you might do well to reread the Forums Rule & Guidelines, linked at the top of this page, to famiiliarize yourself with them before posting anything further.

Regards,

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

Fred i can only speak about my own situation and area but after having had a home invasion i would suggest that living here without being armed is insanity!

Fred i can only speak about my own situation and area but after having had a home invasion i would suggest that living here without being armed is insanity!

Has Costa Rica ever legislated that guns be mandatory in homes (at least in high crime areas)? The first weapon could be issued by the government and additional weapons could be purchased by the resident and/or citizen. I think the increase in accidental shootings would be more than offset by a decline in home invasions. A neighborhood night out once a month where all residents are encouraged to fire their weapons into the air together, in a barrage for a minute or so would send a clear message to would be delinquents.

Fred,

I, like one other member posting to this thread, was wondering why we should read the external site you recommended and then 'get back to you'.

I would suggest that rather than have you direct our Members to an external website away from the Forums for this info, we'd prefer that you elaborate on it here yourself, on the Forums. Otherwise it tends to seem as if you might be shilling for the other site, which I looked at and saw that it really does not have much if anything to do with Costa Rica. Truth be told, it looks more like a commercial site to me.

Also you might do well to reread the Forums Rule & Guidelines, linked at the top of this page, to famiiliarize yourself with them before posting anything further.

Regards,

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

I want to apoligize if I offended anyone. This was my first posting and I was just trying to get some information. I will not post in the future. Just read.

Thanks, Fred

Has Costa Rica ever legislated that guns be mandatory in homes (at least in high crime areas)? The first weapon could be issued by the government and additional weapons could be purchased by the resident and/or citizen. I think the increase in accidental shootings would be more than offset by a decline in home invasions. A neighborhood night out once a month where all residents are encouraged to fire their weapons into the air together, in a barrage for a minute or so would send a clear message to would be delinquents.

In places where mandatory gun ownership was put in place, the crime rate dropped to near zero. Would that work here? It's sure worth a try but i believe this government is going in a far different and very dangerous direction.

Ha! I actually laughed out loud at that last sentence. Where do you think the spent bullets land after being fired straight up in the air? Oh, thats right, they fall back down and happen to hit anybody standing outside that is underneath them. This has to be the stupidest idea yet. I knew someone in L.A. that was hit by New Years gunfire. Get real.

DJ