Sign in to follow this  
neea

buying property in costa rica

can somebody tell me if i can buy a small apt with 15.000 dollars?

Well, you really have to be a little more specific about just where you will be living. Probably not in San Jose, but MAYBE in some parts of the Central Valley, you could find a small place in or near one of the smaller towns. Also, prices have gone up near the beaches on the Pacific coast, as that is where everyone wants to live (think Malibu).

But you really should consider renting for a year first, then checking out places to buy, because by then you should have some CR experience under the belt, maybe speak better Spanish, and maybe even have some local friends that can help you find the place that meets your needs and wants.

If you buy right away, and find you don't like it, selling can take some time. So please rent for awhile first. This is the best advice you can get.

Dana

Oh, and read Sunnysadies post about the steps in buying property, it has some great advice.

Edited by DanaJ

Dana, I doubt that even in the rural areas, one could find anything, except a 'run down shack' for $15,000.

Yeah, unless you are a Tico. But I have seen some nice, little properties near by for under $30k. Tico, not Norte Americano houses, but nice, as far as I am concerned.

But if you are looking for a 3000sqft Malibu mansionette, well, you will pay Malibu mansionette prices too.

Dana

$30,000, yes, could buy something that is 'OK' and possibly could use someupdating and some TLC.

True, and the same applies in the US, you could MAYBE get a nice, double-wide "mobile" home for that in Tornado Alley.

Hmmm....are there any such things as "mobile" homes here?

Anyway, the real advise is for them to rent and scout out for awhile before making a commitment to purchase.

Dana.

With 15K you can put a down payment on something. I haven't seen anything that you can live in the Central Pacific Coast for 15K. But I haven't checked everywhere. :-)

Lisle

www.cb-jaco.com

15k?

most likely you can find something small smelly and ugly for that in an area where nobody wants to be.

desemparados next to the highway in the scariest part of costa rica, things like that.

for 10 k you can buy a very small (200 m2) lot in a beach area. f.e. uvita.

for 5 k you might put a roof and some walls. so yeah 15 k can be enough for a place to sleep and brush your teeth.