where to get an international driver permit

I have a valid costa rica drivers license and will be going to states in June, needing to rent a van in Texas to haul some of my mom's furniture to an asst.living facility near my sister in Denver. I have read on various rental sites that the foreign dl needs to be translated into english and this is what the international driver permit or IDP accomplishes. So, does anyone know where I would go in Costa Rica to get this document that indicates all the same info, including photo, that is on my Costa Rica license?

MOPT? US Embassy?

To my understanding, there is no such thing as an international drivers permit. What most people refer to when they say this is the document that you can get from AAA stating as such. However, outside of the US you will find it isnt very international.

I think it would be far easier to have to DL translated and notorized than to seek out a IDP.

Some states in the US require documents in English by law. Florida is one - there was a constitutional amendment passed that made English the "official" language. Not sure if it is the same in Texas. When I had some documents notarized by a CR attorney, the notarization had to be translated to fulfill the requirements of Florida law. In this case, I just translated it myself and wrote it below and they accepted it. I was very surprised at this but it worked.

For your DL, I would contact an official translator so you can get all the stamps and thingies that make it look so official and legal ( instead of just stupid and ridiculous). This should suffice but just to be sure, I would check with Texas DMV to see what they say.

Some states in the US require documents in English by law. Florida is one - there was a constitutional amendment passed that made English the "official" language. Not sure if it is the same in Texas. When I had some documents notarized by a CR attorney, the notarization had to be translated to fulfill the requirements of Florida law. In this case, I just translated it myself and wrote it below and they accepted it. I was very surprised at this but it worked.

For your DL, I would contact an official translator so you can get all the stamps and thingies that make it look so official and legal ( instead of just stupid and ridiculous). This should suffice but just to be sure, I would check with Texas DMV to see what they say.

Have rented vehicles in many parts of the world including the US and many times in CR.

Always accepted our Ontario, Canada drivers license.

I think most countries have a similar to CR law. Good for 90 days.

The rental company always knows the law. They wouldn't want their vehicle impounded.

Hope this helps.

Ellen

Edited by Kees&Ellen

The point I was trying to make is--- some states in the US won't accept documents that are not in English. If you are from Ontario, Canada, chances are your driver's license is in English or maybe French and English. I think the source of information is the Texas DMV and, as you said, the rental car company.