Sign in to follow this  
DanaJ

US Department of Defense

"The Department of Defense is the one social program necessary for the defense and well being of the nation!! Rerspectfully "

And respectfully, totally unnecessary IF we treated other nations with the same respect we expect to receive. But instead the U.S. over the past 20-30 years has been making more enemies than it has been making friends. And we continue on this same course.

And again respectfully, I feel that the "defence" department has been, and is in fact the biggest leech on the American taxpayers, with a far bigger bite out of our taxes than any welfare programs.

I have family in the military, we agree to disagree on this.

And, this is just my own personal opinion.

Unapologetic Liberal,

Dana J.

Edited by DanaJ

You may be an "unapologetically liberal "but you aren't too informed - a common ailment of unapologetically liberals . Any 10 second search for the facts via Google will how that 62% of US tax revenue goes to entitlement programs. Of the 38% that is left over, the breakdown is ...

Department of Health and Human Services: 24.096%

Social Security Administration: 22.553%

Department of Defense--Military: 20.1%

Department of the Treasury: 18.091%

Others: 6.001%

Department of Agriculture: 3.068%

Department of Veterans Affairs: 2.87%

Supplementals not Offset by Spending Reductions: 2.539%

Department of Transportation: 2.31%

Office of Personnel Management: 2.211%

Department of Education: 2.019%

Department of Labor: 1.802%

Other Defense Civil Programs: 1.692%

Department of Housing and Urban Development: 1.53%

Department of Homeland Security: 1.489%

"The Department of Defense is the one social program necessary for the defense and well being of the nation!! Rerspectfully "

And respectfully, totally unnecessary IF we treated other nations with the same respect we expect to receive. But instead the U.S. over the past 20-30 years has been making more enemies than it has been making friends. And we continue on this same course.

And again respectfully, I feel that the "defence" department has been, and is in fact the biggest leech on the American taxpayers, with a far bigger bite out of our taxes than any welfare programs.

Unapologetic Liberal,

Dana J.

Nathan Libertararian and I think we could all do a little better buy #1 not spending money we don't have, #2 save a little #3 cut every where some places a little more than others. I think we could take your pie chart and cut every thing buy a third, give out a credit toward schooling,ships of war, guns, work to be done to fix roads and all the other things that are broken, with one rule you must be an American to get the work. I'll bet that even at 33% there would be a few ready to ready and willing. Also [and as most of you know I an know way a bleeding heart] but stop fighting all these wars. We run Afganastan and they still produce 80% of the worlds opium. Think of all the cash we would make if we just didn't go.they may make it to 81%

Edited by sabo941

Department of Defense--Military: 20.1% - or about $700 billion+ dollars now?

Dept of Energy: (not inc in your list) 2% and we know that most of this goes to support the defense dept in nuclear weapons research.

So, we could still afford to make big cuts in defense and not have to sacrifice ANY of the public entitlement programs.

Like I said, if we didn't make enemies instead of friends, we could follow Costa Rica's example and eliminate the so-called 'defense' department.

Gee, $700+billion could go a long way to repairing our failing infrastructure, and a lot of other things too. Instead of having submarines going around in circles for no real reason.

Lets get cutting now!

BTW: I DID NOT start this topic, and I do not know how mortsahl managed to start this topic under MY name! It appears that he is also moving topics to other forums (see Dollar v Colone).

Edited by DanaJ

You may be an "unapologetically (sic)liberal "but you aren't too informed - a common ailment of unapologetically (sic)liberals . Any 10 second search for the facts via Google will how that 62% of US tax revenue goes to entitlement programs. Of the 38% that is left over, the breakdown is ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

The items as listed above are NOT correct.

Social Security and DHHS are not a part of the discretionary budget group.

Defense/security is discretionary and accounts for 22.22% ($680B) of the TOTAL budget, not 20.1% of only 38%. Defense is also expected to require an additional supplemental spending bill, possibly in the range of $40–50 billion, later this Spring.

SS and DHHS belong to the group of "mandated" expenditures, as they are referred to in the budget. They they do account for 60.03% of the total budget and are already fixed in existing law - from many successive administrations.

A breakdown within the "entitlements" group, as you incorrectly call them, (which is now codespeak for welfare), you will find Social Security (19.27%) and Medicare/Medicaid (19.21%). Among others are: interest expense, military retirement, veteran's benefits, farm commodity price support, crop insurance, TARP and farm income support programs.

This according to the OMB for the latest year (www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2011/assets/tables.pdf)

And if you are referring to Social Security as welfare - with the back-door agenda of eliminating it - well, you'll find people like me who paid into it for over 50 years and absolutely demand it's delivered as promised. It's OUR money. Now that the free-for-all on Wall Street has decimated the middle class net worth thru it's "insured" investments, SS is of much more importance. It's the one issue that will unite the lower 90% against the top 10%.

Anyone that wants to get knocked silly politically by messing with it - go ahead - make our day.

BTW: You're no Mort Sahl.

Here's a quote from the REAL Mort Sahl: "Liberals feel unworthy of their possessions. Conservatives feel they deserve everything they've stolen."

Edited by stfree

BTW: I DID NOT start this topic, and I do not know how mortsahl managed to start this topic under MY name! It appears that he is also moving topics to other forums (see Dollar v Colone).

Hi DanaJ

I am sure that MortSahl does not have administrator privileges on the Forum and it requires an administrator to do such a thing.

My best guess is that this was seen as a better place for this discussion than the "colone vs. dollar" it was originally in and one of the admins moved it.

Unapologetic Liberal,

Dana J.

As in history we (America) has always had people who want to do us harm, yes, believe it or not it was that way before George Bush was president. Many reasons for people wanting to do harm to America but the top two are prosperity and unfortunatly or most profitable export our culture, the very thing that Hollywood and you liberals want to crame into every school, television and home. Just think, the people who hate us have enough faith to pray five times a day and you liberals dont even want us to say the Pledge of Allegiance to our own country in the classroom. Shame, shame. Do you even know why the Energy Department was created? It was created to reduce our dependency on foriegn oil. How's that been doing? Our govt has continued to throw money away and many are tired of it and it wont be fixed by ending the military.

You may be an "unapologetically liberal "but you aren't too informed - a common ailment of unapologetically liberals . Any 10 second search for the facts via Google will how that 62% of US tax revenue goes to entitlement programs. Of the 38% that is left over, the breakdown is ...

This is fun. Using your percentages (presumably well-informed) we see that defense and Veterans Affairs is gobbling up 22.97% of the federal budget. Shall we add Homeland Security to this (sounds sort of defense related)? If so, we're over 24% of the federal budget for defense. Now, what portion of, say, Health and Human Services is devoted to dealing with the concerns of veterans, or the Department of Education or whatever. (Somebody not paid out of the defense budget is paid by every college and university in part to administer veterans benefits, organize recruitment, etc.) Indeed, let's not forget all the dough spent on salaries for congressional staffers and White House aides who are charged with making war plans, negotiating contracts with the defense industry, and so on.

But OK, say defense is "only" 24% of the federal budget. It looks to me that this 24% amounts to about $800 billion per year (although probably it should be higher since a portion of the national debt ought to be pro-rated to defense), around $10 annually for every person on the planet or $2700 for every man, woman, and child in the US. In fact, it is more than Social Security (which I thought was bloated and going broke). Non-liberals who follow the facts (unlike liberals) can feel free to calculate these expenditures as a percentage of GDP, compare them to the military budgets of other countries, and so on. Without myself having checked the facts (oops, a liberal bias) I am given to understand that the US spends more in percentage of GDP and absolute dollars than any other country in the world. In fact, I just read an article that said US military expenditures are HIGHER now than they ever were during the Cold War, that is, when the US actually had an enemy.

So OK, you want to spend this much? That's your call. My question to you though would be why anyone calls it "defense." The last time I recall that the US was attacked was, hmmm, come to think of it, never. You could argue I suppose that the War of 1812 was an attack, or maybe the Plains Indian Wars (the darn savages wouldn't give up!), or maybe by a stretch Pearl Harbor. (Hawaii wasn't a state then, and whatever complicity you attribute to FDR the US clearly wantonly provoked that attack by cutting off Japan's oil supply.) But I sure never saw foreign soldiers invading the US, and come to think of it haven't even seen photos or drawings. Who again is the US "defending" itself against?

Oh, that's right, there was an attack mounted by foreign terrorists (not state-affiliated) on US soil almost nine years ago, when almost 3000 innocents were killed. Not good. But in retaliation the US military has already killed 200 people for every one who died on 9/11, and kind of arbitrarily picked the wrong country to kill them in. Defense? It sounds more like bullying to me.

I have been accused of being a liberal (and worse) in the past, but I will add that I have reluctantly decided that I am not a pacifist. My view is that there is unfortunately a role for the military in the US. However, my view is also that the US military should be about 20% its current size and budget, and rely upon a draft in which everyone is subject to being called in times of national emergency. Really, the US would have a super defense at a couple hundred billion dollars a year and I honestly feel that if Americans had to fight their wars themselves (rather than put bumper stickers on their cars supporting them) they'd think twice before going to war. Now it's just too easy with oodles of money and professional soldiers plus private contractors.

Just look. The US is in Colombia and Mexico too, still in Korea as well as Japan (that wants the US out), of course is still in Germany, and so on. The Roman Empire would look on the US with envy.

BTW, I think you present the numbers incorrectly, since you include entitlement programs in your 38% left over. But that's OK, even non-liberals make mistakes. However, I am prompted to ask: Are veterans benefits entitlements or not? I guess you could exclude them since they're "earned." But wait, isn't Social Security "earned" too? I'm confused.

Edited by kenn